TSB 14-0151 POWERTRAIN DRONING NOISE - ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION (ANC)

Bill-N

TSB 14-0151
POWERTRAIN DRONING NOISE - ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION (ANC)

Publication Date:  August 18, 2014

FORD: 2013-2014 C-MAX

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi vehicles may exhibit a loud, low frequency, droning powertrain type noise when the engine is running. The noise can be intermittent and may be heard mostly at specific speeds, RPM ranges, and vehicle loads, such as while driving up a hill or grade. The vehicle is equipped with ANC that uses the vehicle’s sound system to cancel out specific low frequency powertrain noises.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Have any aftermarket modifications been made to the audio system, speakers, headliner or has a non-factory roof opening panel been installed?
    1. Yes - this procedure does not apply. Any alteration of these components or the vehicle structure affects ANC system performance. Returning the vehicle to the original configuration is recommended.
    1. No - proceed to Step 2.
  1. Perform the audio control module (ACM) self-test to complete the speaker walk around test. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00.
  1. Did speaker walk around test successfully complete?
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 4.
    1. No - this procedure does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00 for normal diagnosis.
  1. Lower headliner only enough to access the ANC system microphones; being mindful not to disconnect the microphones. Refer to WSM, Sections 501-05 and 415-00.
  1. Verify ANC microphone harness routings are correct.
    1. Disconnect the driver side front microphone.
    1. Perform an IDS on-demand self-test on the digital audio control module C (DACMC).
    1. Did diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B116A-01 set in the DACMC?
      1. Yes - clear the DTC and reconnect the microphone. Proceed to Step 6.
      1. No - note which DTC set and proceed to Step 6.
  1. Disconnect the passenger side front microphone.
    1. Perform an IDS on-demand self-test on the DACMC.
    1. Did DTC B117A-01 set in the DACMC?
      1. Yes - clear the DTC and reconnect the microphone. Proceed to Step 7.
      1. No - note which DTC set and proceed to Step 7.
  1. Disconnect the rear passenger microphone.
    1. Did DTC B13F5-01 set in the DACMC?
      1. Yes - clear the DTC and reconnect the microphone. Proceed to Step 8.
      1. No - disconnect the wire harness from the microphone and reposition the wire harness to connect the harness to the correct microphone, so the fault codes match the microphone position. Clear the DTC. Proceed to Step 8.
  1. Fully seal each microphone bezel to the headliner using 3M™ Super-Fast Adhesive. (Figure 1)
    tb10565a.jpg
    Figure 1 - 14-0151

1. Reposition headliner. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.

post-399-0-21917500-1423092296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill-N

TSB 14-0151
POWERTRAIN DRONING NOISE - ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION (ANC)

Publication Date:  August 18, 2014

FORD: 2013-2014 C-MAX

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi vehicles may exhibit a loud, low frequency, droning powertrain type noise when the engine is running. The noise can be intermittent and may be heard mostly at specific speeds, RPM ranges, and vehicle loads, such as while driving up a hill or grade. The vehicle is equipped with ANC that uses the vehicle’s sound system to cancel out specific low frequency powertrain noises.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Have any aftermarket modifications been made to the audio system, speakers, headliner or has a non-factory roof opening panel been installed?
    1. Yes - this procedure does not apply. Any alteration of these components or the vehicle structure affects ANC system performance. Returning the vehicle to the original configuration is recommended.
    1. No - proceed to Step 2.
  1. Perform the audio control module (ACM) self-test to complete the speaker walk around test. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00.
  1. Did speaker walk around test successfully complete?
    1. Yes - proceed to Step 4.
    1. No - this procedure does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 415-00 for normal diagnosis.
  1. Lower headliner only enough to access the ANC system microphones; being mindful not to disconnect the microphones. Refer to WSM, Sections 501-05 and 415-00.
  1. Verify ANC microphone harness routings are correct.
    1. Disconnect the driver side front microphone.
    1. Perform an IDS on-demand self-test on the digital audio control module C (DACMC).
    1. Did diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B116A-01 set in the DACMC?
      1. Yes - clear the DTC and reconnect the microphone. Proceed to Step 6.
      1. No - note which DTC set and proceed to Step 6.
  1. Disconnect the passenger side front microphone.
    1. Did DTC B117A-01 set in the DACMC?
      1. Yes - clear the DTC and reconnect the microphone. Proceed to Step 7.
      1. No - note which DTC set and proceed to Step 7.
  1. Disconnect the rear passenger microphone.
    1. Did DTC B13F5-01 set in the DACMC?
      1. Yes - clear the DTC and reconnect the microphone. Proceed to Step 8.
      1. No - disconnect the wire harness from the microphone and reposition the wire harness to connect the harness to the correct microphone, so the fault codes match the microphone position. Clear the DTC. Proceed to Step 8.
  1. Fully seal each microphone bezel to the headliner using 3M™ Super-Fast Adhesive. (Figure 1)

tb10565a.jpg

Figure 1 - 14-0151

1. Reposition headliner. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.

This procedure does not seem to ever get to any corrective action !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ?????????????????

• 10 months later...

Jenie

Here are a couple of suggestions.

1. NEVER contact Ford about this problem again! And don't be mad at Ford, it's just "(big) business".
2. Google "Minnesota lemon lawyer" The first visit is free and you may be surprised/happy with what you learn.
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=Minnesota+lemon+lawyer&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Jenie

1. NEVER contact Ford about this problem again! And don't be mad at Ford, it's just "(big) business".

2. Google "Minnesota lemon lawyer" The first visit is free and you may be surprised/happy with what you learn.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=Minnesota+lemon+lawyer&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

don't see why I should be told to NEVER contact Ford about this again. I can contact them as many times as it takes for them to do something about it.  And I have every right to be mad at them because they manufactured a faulty product and have not fulfilled their end of the warranty contract in regards to fixing it under the state law. It may be the way of "big business", but it's illegal and rude and it makes me upset with them (people have a right to feel upset even if others do not feel a situtation merits being upset or angry).

As for lemon law lawyer, I'm already on the path to that. I have learned a lot already and prior to this I was already well versed on the subject of warranty and liability of manufacturers. I know there are steps that must be done before I can/need to sue in court and I plan to exhaust all of those before paying for a lawyer. (costs incurred for a lawyer prior to a court proceeding is filed are not reimbursable via lemon law). I know I have a case, I am attempting to resolve the issue without causing a long protracted issue that both taxes myself and Ford, and without forcing a branded title on the vehicle so that Ford could potentially sell it to someone else who lives in a warm climate where the problems with my car (of which the only non-resolvable one is cold related) will not be an issue. The process is already in the works. Thanks for the advice.

Jenie

don't see why I should be told to NEVER contact Ford about this again. I can contact them as many times as it takes for them to do something about it.  And I have every right to be mad at them because they manufactured a faulty product and have not fulfilled their end of the warranty contract in regards to fixing it under the state law. It may be the way of "big business", but it's illegal and rude and it makes me upset with them (people have a right to feel upset even if others do not feel a situtation merits being upset or angry).

As for lemon law lawyer, I'm already on the path to that. I have learned a lot already and prior to this I was already well versed on the subject of warranty and liability of manufacturers. I know there are steps that must be done before I can/need to sue in court and I plan to exhaust all of those before paying for a lawyer. (costs incurred for a lawyer prior to a court proceeding is filed are not reimbursable via lemon law). I know I have a case, I am attempting to resolve the issue without causing a long protracted issue that both taxes myself and Ford, and without forcing a branded title on the vehicle so that Ford could potentially sell it to someone else who lives in a warm climate where the problems with my car (of which the only non-resolvable one is cold related) will not be an issue. The process is already in the works. Thanks for the advice.

Didn't MEAN to set you off.

"I am attempting to resolve the issue without causing a long protracted issue that both taxes myself"

How's that working out?

• 1 month later...

The problem, which was pronounced in my 2013 last winter, seems to have been fixed by multiple module reprogramming done by the dealer in December 2015.  When temps here are sub 20°F I can hear a panel resonance when the ICE is running and I am going up a moderate hill (about 2kw power being delivered, according to the Empower gauge).  But it is much better than it was last winter, when it was unacceptable.  Ford seems to have fixed a problem with the Active Noise Cancellation turning the noise into eardrum pounding torture.  So for me it seems to be resolved.  

Apparently they revise firmware for modules from time to time but generally don't issue recalls or bulletins.  I would suggest anyone who has experienced this particular problem confirm they had reprogrammed all modules with available updates as of mid Dec 2015. 

At my same mid December visit dealer service said they fixed some wiring and checked the 12V battery, which was ok.  It has started like a champ in sub-0° weather, a by-product of the design using the high voltage battery to start the engine.  I did request 0W-20 oil at that same Dec dealer visit (cost an additional $15).  That lighter oil may help starting some, and I suppose could conceivably have some effect on engine / drive train vibration and noise, though I doubt it.

The problem, which was pronounced in my 2013 last winter, seems to have been fixed by multiple module reprogramming done by the dealer in December 2015.  When temps here are sub 20°F I can hear a panel resonance when the ICE is running and I am going up a moderate hill (about 2kw power being delivered, according to the Empower gauge).  But it is much better than it was last winter, when it was unacceptable.  Ford seems to have fixed a problem with the Active Noise Cancellation turning the noise into eardrum pounding torture.  So for me it seems to be resolved.  

Apparently they revise firmware for modules from time to time but generally don't issue recalls or bulletins.  I would suggest anyone who has experienced this particular problem confirm they had reprogrammed all modules with available updates as of mid Dec 2015. 

At my same mid December visit dealer service said they fixed some wiring and checked the 12V battery, which was ok.  It has started like a champ in sub-0° weather, a by-product of the design using the high voltage battery to start the engine.  I did request 0W-20 oil at that same Dec dealer visit (cost an additional $15).  That lighter oil may help starting some, and I suppose could conceivably have some effect on engine / drive train vibration and noise, though I doubt it.

djc-

Sounds like yours managed to work itself out. Mine, however, continues to be a serious issue. Ford has stalled out in helping my dealership troubleshoot the issue.  There are no reprogramming updates, etc left to do on my ANC and no further instruction from Ford Hotline on what else to try (not for months and months). I just had my car in for an oil change this week and the diligent service guys tried to get a field service engineer to come out.  They left him a message and it's been 2 days and I've heard nothing. This morning taking the hubby to work, the drone and vibration was almost constant every time the ICE was runinng upon acceleration (flat roads even off of a stop light). It was 15 degrees. My paperwork for BBB arbitration is already in the mail and on the way since Ford refused to even acknowledge to me that this is a problem and just kept telling me they weren't going to buy my car back and that it was my fault for missing some kind of "window of presumption" (which they did not elaborate on even when pressed only telling me it was 2 years or 36K miles, which is the mfg bumper to bumper warranty and does not correspond with the window of request for buy back or Lemon proceedings in this state). It's really frustrating to have a dealership who has tried so hard and used all the resources Ford gave them, (and came up with some troubleshooting on their own) and then have someone at Ford corporate say I need to take it back to the dealer and that Ford would "make sure they have all the resources they need to fix the problem" and have the dealership ask me what it is that Ford wants them to do now since they have received ZERO direction. If Ford doesn't take care of this soon and no suitable buy back can be reached by BBB, they are looking forward to staring down my lawyer in court. With all the run around they have given me, I've decided to play just as hard of ball back at them as they have been playing at me. I hope others don't have to deal with this type of crap trying to get theirs fixed and it works it self out like djc's car did. Oh, and FYI, Ford is now aware that there are multiple cars with this same problem and I've made them aware that I know how to get ahold of some of you who have not had any results getting yours repaired either. I'm hoping that also helps you when your dealerships are trying to get Ford to help them.

djc-

Sounds like yours managed to work itself out. Mine, however, continues to be a serious issue. Ford has stalled out in helping my dealership troubleshoot the issue.  There are no reprogramming updates, etc left to do on my ANC and no further instruction from Ford Hotline on what else to try (not for months and months). I just had my car in for an oil change this week and the diligent service guys tried to get a field service engineer to come out.  They left him a message and it's been 2 days and I've heard nothing. This morning taking the hubby to work, the drone and vibration was almost constant every time the ICE was runinng upon acceleration (flat roads even off of a stop light). It was 15 degrees. My paperwork for BBB arbitration is already in the mail and on the way since Ford refused to even acknowledge to me that this is a problem and just kept telling me they weren't going to buy my car back and that it was my fault for missing some kind of "window of presumption" (which they did not elaborate on even when pressed only telling me it was 2 years or 36K miles, which is the mfg bumper to bumper warranty and does not correspond with the window of request for buy back or Lemon proceedings in this state). It's really frustrating to have a dealership who has tried so hard and used all the resources Ford gave them, (and came up with some troubleshooting on their own) and then have someone at Ford corporate say I need to take it back to the dealer and that Ford would "make sure they have all the resources they need to fix the problem" and have the dealership ask me what it is that Ford wants them to do now since they have received ZERO direction. If Ford doesn't take care of this soon and no suitable buy back can be reached by BBB, they are looking forward to staring down my lawyer in court. With all the run around they have given me, I've decided to play just as hard of ball back at them as they have been playing at me. I hope others don't have to deal with this type of crap trying to get theirs fixed and it works it self out like djc's car did. Oh, and FYI, Ford is now aware that there are multiple cars with this same problem and I've made them aware that I know how to get ahold of some of you who have not had any results getting yours repaired either. I'm hoping that also helps you when your dealerships are trying to get Ford to help them.

Just a note, probably a typo, but the standard warranty is 3 years / 36K, not 2 years.

My dealer did the supposed ANC fix above and the issue still persists. Vehicle is out of warranty but i have an open case with my dealership. I'm not sure what else to tell them. Like mentioned by others, It's more prominent in the cold, usually kicks in when the white "empower" bar is about at the 2nd dash while accelerating. More notable going uphills but it'll do it from a full stop as well. The noise is terrible and i either have to let off the pedal or accelerate a bit faster to get out of the noise making threshold. Can anyone offer up any other suggestions for what I can tell my dealership to try next?

My dealer did the supposed ANC fix above and the issue still persists. Vehicle is out of warranty but i have an open case with my dealership. I'm not sure what else to tell them. Like mentioned by others, It's more prominent in the cold, usually kicks in when the white "empower" bar is about at the 2nd dash while accelerating. More notable going uphills but it'll do it from a full stop as well. The noise is terrible and i either have to let off the pedal or accelerate a bit faster to get out of the noise making threshold. Can anyone offer up any other suggestions for what I can tell my dealership to try next?

Sadly, it sounds like yours is plagued by exactly the same thing as mine. Are you all the way out of warranty or just out of 36K? Did you report this issue to your dealership before you were out of warranty?

Sadly, it sounds like yours is plagued by exactly the same thing as mine. Are you all the way out of warranty or just out of 36K? Did you report this issue to your dealership before you were out of warranty?

I've been going back and forth with the dealership about this since last winter before my warranty expired. There's an open work order remaining. I just don't know what else to tell them. I don't want them just trying random things on my car trying to see what works like they did on your vehicle. Maybe i should ask about modules being up to date? I'm not really sure what that means though.

I've been going back and forth with the dealership about this since last winter before my warranty expired. There's an open work order remaining. I just don't know what else to tell them. I don't want them just trying random things on my car trying to see what works like they did on your vehicle. Maybe i should ask about modules being up to date? I'm not really sure what that means though.

It is possible to pursue a lemon law after the basic warranty expires. You would have to check with the applicable laws in your state.

Mine did not have the TSB 14-B0101  "check the mics" work (mentioned above) done, as far as I know. 

I took the C-max in for a recall to reprogram the PCM.  The service receipt I got when I picked it up said they reprogrammed the PCM, IPC, DCDC and GWM.  The PCM  (Powertrain Control Module) is a major one, and, as I understand it, controls, among many other basic things, what rpm the engine runs at under various operating conditions.   The IPC controls the instrument panel.  It may or may not have something to do with ANC.  DCDC I believe is the module that controls charging of the 12V battery.  Finally, "GWM" is a mystery.  Could be a typo for GEM (W is close to E) - GEM is  Generic Electronic Module and besides controlling the lighting, wipers, locks and alarms, may well have something to do with ANC.   The GEM also turns off some electronics if the battery voltage drops below a threshold, so it is also important for maintaining 12V battery charge.

In any case, my car was making the objectionable noise before going in, and hasn't done so since, and we have had plenty of cold weather conditions like those where it used to set my teeth on edge.

My conclusion is that they may have fixed this with firmware updates.  Since they don't reveal the bug-fixes that their updates address, there is no way to tell what changes they made. Or maybe updates fix the problem in some cars and not others - and I was lucky.  Knock on simulated wood-grain trim. 

I hope others with this problem can have it fixed this simply.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...