My Ford Touch SYNC

RMS13

I thought the same thing until my dad made mention of it. Hopefully someone can break it down. I amconfused between MFT and the Sync. What do they each do?

Ā 

It can be confusing, Sync is a set of services. My Ford Touch is the way you interact with Sync Services. There is a version of Sync that does not have My Ford Touch and its on the vehicle not equiped with Navigation.

Sync with Applink does not work with My Ford Touch and allows you interact with Sync through downloadable apps. Ironically the more expensive My Ford Touch cannot control Pandora through Applink where the less expensive Sync can.

Ā 

http://owner.ford.co...r/Page/SyncPage

Edited by darrelld

I spoke to a rep online. Sync is for those without nav system. It's turn by turn directions. When u get the nav system it automatically tells u the turns. It's 60.00 a yr. guess that's a good alternative to never purchasing updates for the nav system. The rep was very confusing at first. MFT is the touch system - touch screen- and sync comes with it. Well yeah. The nav will tell u where to go lol

There are two parts to Sync which was developed by Microsoft.

Ā 

1. The first part is the "Sync Voice Commands" to request things like changing to a USB or FM audio source. All C-Max vehicles have the voice activated feature and there's no subscription required to use this.

2. The second part is the "Sync Services" that allow you to connect to Microsoft's Sync servers (via your bluetooth connected cell phone). You connect in order to request travel directions, movie listings, weather updates or even talk to a live person for specific requests. When you use "Sync Services" you phone will dial and connect to Microsoft's Sync servers and your requests are processed by their servers (like Apple servers process Siri commands). Answers are sent back to your vehicle through your phone and heard over the stereo speakers. "Sync Services" cost $60/year or is incluced with certain package configurations for the first three years. Without the subscription you can still use the "Sync Voice Commands" but the "Services" command would no longer work.

Ā 

C-Max Radio Options

Ā 

There are three available radios in the C-Max. There's the SE standard radio with hard buttons, the MyTouch radio which has the 8" touch screen (SE/SEL) and the Sony Radio with the 8" touch screen (SEL option). All three radios can use "Sync Voice Commands" and "Sync Services". You can add the navigation option to either 8" touch screen radio but only if orderd from the factory that way.

Ā 

Radio and Sync Integration

Ā 

If you have the standard wing shaped radio on the SE or either touch screen radio without navigation the "Sync Services" is a worthwhile subscription because it will give you navigation via the voice commands. However there are limitations to this option. For example if you make a wrong turn the system has to redial into the Sync servers to get the new directions based on your current location and then redownload those voice guidance directions to your car. If you have the navigation enabled touch screen radios you can still request directions through Sync but rather than voicing the directoins to you it plugs the information in the navigation system and starts guidance. For the navigation enabled radios using "Sync Services" navigation feature is redundant to just using "Sync Voice Commands" to request a POI search from the radio's navagation database stored on the SD card.

Ā 

Regardless of the radio you have the subscription based "Sync Services" can be a useful option when traveling if you don't have a smart phone. However if you have a smart phone it's probably not worth the $60/year subscription because you can do the same types of searches (looking up directions, movie listings, weather updates, business searches, etc) directly on your smart phone.

Edited by dtorres

One last comment for the navigation enable radios. The maps on the navigation enabled radios are done by NavTeq (they do the maps for several auto makers). Traditionally NavTeq map updates are specific for each manufacturer and must be purchased through them. For Ford those updates run $200 and are usually released once per year.

Ā 

http://ford.navmapupdates.com

I love the MFT. I don't know why every review I read says its too complicated or doesn't work well. I have had no problems and I don't see where it is complicated at all. I love all the features...and using it (to me) is very easy. There are a couple of features on the radio that I really like. If you are listening to a station and you want to hear a song again, you can actually go back and listen to it again. And I like that you can set alerts for a band that you may like, and anytime that band is played on any station it will alert you and ask if you want to tune to that station. Some amazing stuff....to me....the more toys the better.

Ford has some simulations you can install that give you a feel of how My Ford Touch works and interacts. I have one on my iPhone called MFT that I downloaded prior to purchasing my C-Max.

Ā 

No jokes Laurel. ;)

Thanks. My husband just downloaded it onto his ipad.

Edited by Laurel

Thanks dtorres. I understand finally.

Scooter I am waiting exactly one week to ask cyberdman to check my order which will be this Thursday. It seemingly was built Nov.8th so I thought it might take about a week for it to get on a train.

Laurel: Unless I missed something, it looks like your last check was on 11/2.... almost 2 weeks ago. ;)