Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Rear liftgate won't unlock

liftgate lock

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

So a few weeks ago I drove 100 miles to IKEA to pick up a chair. Went to open up the hatchback and...the hatch wouldn't open. Unlocked the car multiple times...the 4 doors clicked to unlocked position and opened fine, but the hatch didn't click and unlock, and just wouldn't open. Used the hatch-only button...still wouldn't open. The chair wouldn't fit in through a passenger door, so this sucked! Looked in the owner's manual to see where the manual release or child panic latch was...none shown or mentioned. Called the Ford 800 number, waited on hold. Having been on hold for a long time and not wanting to bake my ear, I got into the driver's seat and turned on the ignition to continue the conversation hands-free on Bluetooth. Got transferred to the local dealer's service department, and though friendly, they couldn't identify any alternative manual release option either, so we finished the convo and I hung up. Needing to pee after all this time, I turned off the ignition and headed toward the IKEA entrance...when on a whim, I figured I'd try the hatch one more time.

It opened.

It has continued to work fine ever since.

(FWIW, my car does not have the keyless proximity doodads, just a regular lock/unlock fob.) 

Anyone experience anything like this?

With computer problems, the IT crowd always says "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?:Now that computers control our cars, it appears that you can fix random problems by...turning it off and turning it back on again!

Edited by HotPotato, 08 February 2015 - 09:29 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

With computer problems, the IT crowd always says "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?:Now that computers control our cars, it appears that you can fix random problems by...turning it off and turning it back on again!

This.  I've done it a couple of times for other minor issues.

Although I rarely publicly advise this, I will even perform a "hard reboot" by disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes to see if that solves more important issues.  Luckily, I've never had to do this step with the CMax.

#3 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 576 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

I had a period of time that my hatch would not open fully.  Maybe different issue, not sure.  My issue was that the hatch would click like it was opening and you could see it move but it was still latched.  A few seconds later the latch would click again (without me doing anything but waiting) and it would then open.  This lasted like this for a few weeks and then it worked fine.  I had it in the dealer for something else and asked them to look at in and they said everything was fine.  I don't think they did anything but open the hatch but it has been about 3 months now and it seems OK so far. 

#4 OFFLINE   Zathrus

Zathrus

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 80 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

I had similar issue with hatch not opening as described above. Dealer looked at my hatch issue. Fortunately, the latch problem was duplicated at dealership (it would not open for him until the 5th try). They determined no adjustment was needed. However, they did fix it by lubricating the latch. It has been working much better (works every time now on first try, even in the cold). 

Tech report on invoice stated:

Latch dry, confirmed stuck, Lubed, Rechecked OK.

You might want to try lubricating latch...hopefully that will work for you as well. Not sure what they used.

Edited by Zathrus, 09 February 2015 - 01:06 PM.

• HotPotato likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 677 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

I have noticed our (double-click) FOB would not unlock/open our hatchback a few times when the weather was very cold.  We either used the door handle or button under the stereo.   Later in the day, it worked fine.

#6 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 576 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

I had similar issue with hatch not opening as described above. Dealer looked at my hatch issue. Fortunately, the latch problem was duplicated at dealership (it would not open for him until the 5th try). They determined no adjustment was needed. However, they did fix it by lubricating the latch. It has been working much better (works every time now on first try, even in the cold). 

Tech report on invoice stated:

Latch dry, confirmed stuck, Lubed, Rechecked OK.

You might want to try lubricating latch...hopefully that will work for you as well. Not sure what they used.

Good advice.  Now if my dealer said they could not find anything but applied lubricant then I would be OK with that.  It just seems that if it does not happen for them then they just say they could not duplicate the problem.  Standard answer.  

Nothing against Ford, just seems to be standard practice in many dealerships.  They get paid to fix something.  They probably don't get paid if they can't witness the problem.  

#7 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the doodad under the stereo since I don't have the kick-sensor hatch. :-(

#8 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

With vehicles having this problem, I would suggest checking your 12V battery.

#9 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the doodad under the stereo since I don't have the kick-sensor hatch. :-(

Cars with the button on the dash under the audio stack to raise the rear hatch require the Power Liftgate option:

Hybrid SE

Equipment Group 201A

Equipment Group 203A

Hybrid SEL

Equipment Group 302A includes Hands-Free

Equipment Group 303A includes Hands-Free

Energi SEL

Equipment Group 302A includes Hands-Free

Equipment Group 303A includes Hands-Free

Custom Search

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users