Rear liftgate won't unlock

So a few weeks ago I drove 100 miles to IKEA to pick up a chair. Went to open up the hatchback and...the hatch wouldn't open. Unlocked the car multiple times...the 4 doors clicked to unlocked position and opened fine, but the hatch didn't click and unlock, and just wouldn't open. Used the hatch-only button...still wouldn't open. The chair wouldn't fit in through a passenger door, so this sucked! Looked in the owner's manual to see where the manual release or child panic latch was...none shown or mentioned. Called the Ford 800 number, waited on hold. Having been on hold for a long time and not wanting to bake my ear, I got into the driver's seat and turned on the ignition to continue the conversation hands-free on Bluetooth. Got transferred to the local dealer's service department, and though friendly, they couldn't identify any alternative manual release option either, so we finished the convo and I hung up. Needing to pee after all this time, I turned off the ignition and headed toward the IKEA entrance...when on a whim, I figured I'd try the hatch one more time.

It opened.

It has continued to work fine ever since.

(FWIW, my car does not have the keyless proximity doodads, just a regular lock/unlock fob.) 

Anyone experience anything like this?

With computer problems, the IT crowd always says "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?:Now that computers control our cars, it appears that you can fix random problems by...turning it off and turning it back on again!

Edited by HotPotato

With computer problems, the IT crowd always says "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?:Now that computers control our cars, it appears that you can fix random problems by...turning it off and turning it back on again!

This.  I've done it a couple of times for other minor issues.

Although I rarely publicly advise this, I will even perform a "hard reboot" by disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes to see if that solves more important issues.  Luckily, I've never had to do this step with the CMax.

I had a period of time that my hatch would not open fully.  Maybe different issue, not sure.  My issue was that the hatch would click like it was opening and you could see it move but it was still latched.  A few seconds later the latch would click again (without me doing anything but waiting) and it would then open.  This lasted like this for a few weeks and then it worked fine.  I had it in the dealer for something else and asked them to look at in and they said everything was fine.  I don't think they did anything but open the hatch but it has been about 3 months now and it seems OK so far. 

I had similar issue with hatch not opening as described above. Dealer looked at my hatch issue. Fortunately, the latch problem was duplicated at dealership (it would not open for him until the 5th try). They determined no adjustment was needed. However, they did fix it by lubricating the latch. It has been working much better (works every time now on first try, even in the cold). 

Tech report on invoice stated:

Latch dry, confirmed stuck, Lubed, Rechecked OK.

You might want to try lubricating latch...hopefully that will work for you as well. Not sure what they used.

Edited by Zathrus

I had similar issue with hatch not opening as described above. Dealer looked at my hatch issue. Fortunately, the latch problem was duplicated at dealership (it would not open for him until the 5th try). They determined no adjustment was needed. However, they did fix it by lubricating the latch. It has been working much better (works every time now on first try, even in the cold). 

Tech report on invoice stated:

Latch dry, confirmed stuck, Lubed, Rechecked OK.

You might want to try lubricating latch...hopefully that will work for you as well. Not sure what they used.

Good advice.  Now if my dealer said they could not find anything but applied lubricant then I would be OK with that.  It just seems that if it does not happen for them then they just say they could not duplicate the problem.  Standard answer.  

Nothing against Ford, just seems to be standard practice in many dealerships.  They get paid to fix something.  They probably don't get paid if they can't witness the problem.  

Unfortunately I don't have the doodad under the stereo since I don't have the kick-sensor hatch. :-(

Cars with the button on the dash under the audio stack to raise the rear hatch require the Power Liftgate option:

Hybrid SE

Equipment Group 201A

Equipment Group 203A

Hybrid SEL

Equipment Group 302A includes Hands-Free

Equipment Group 303A includes Hands-Free

Energi SEL

Equipment Group 302A includes Hands-Free

Equipment Group 303A includes Hands-Free

• 4 years later...

We have this problem with our 2013 C-MAX Energi. The latch clicks but won't open.

We discovered if we push down on the hatch it will open. After reading this thread it makes sense that the latch may need lubrication. That will be my next step.

But if you get stuck, try pressing down on the hatch, then lift up.