Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sauce spilled into undercarriage of trunk - HELP!

trunk spill sauce liquid smell undercarriage remove removal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samuraitakenz

samuraitakenz

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationVA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Hello.  I could use some assistance from fellow owners right now.  Recently, I had a pot of meatballs sitting in my trunk on the way home.  I had to quickly maneuver away from another car and the pot tipped over.  Luckily, the pot was semi-sealed but some of the sauce managed to spill out of the pot and onto the carpet and into the undercarriage of the trunk.  I had the carpets shampooed and thoroughly cleaned what I could, but there's still sauce behind the plastic moldings in the trunk.

What can I do to get into the moldings and wipe away the rest of the sauce so my new car doesn't smell like old/stale meatballs?  I'm usually a stickler about the cleanliness of my car, so the fact that I can't get into the undercarriage and side moldings to clean the rest out really bugs me. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

Uhh-ohh!   Yes, all the panels and carpets can be removed down to the bare metal.  Sorry I don't have the workshop manual to tell you how.  

I had the same thing happen with a gas can that was supposedly sealed and learned from it.  I now carry anything like this in a tied, large plastic trash bag as insurance.   My last trip was a huge portable roaster filled with 10 pounds of cooked pinto beans.  It was very difficult to get a large leaf bag around it but it was well worth the piece of mind.  

#3 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 680 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

I was going to suggest a wet/dry shop vac, but removing the panels is probably the way to go.  Clean everything with bleach afterwards.

I spilled a parmesan cheese casserole on the floor of my old Audi.  It smelled like vomit for weeks, even after scrubbing the carpet.  I finally resorted to "Nature's Miracle" which did the job (works great on cat urine as well).

Adrian

#4 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

Could a pro detailer get to the sauce, if they can see it they can get it clean.

$125 when they have a sale.

#5 OFFLINE   samuraitakenz

samuraitakenz

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

Uhh-ohh!   Yes, all the panels and carpets can be removed down to the bare metal.  Sorry I don't have the workshop manual to tell you how.  

I had the same thing happen with a gas can that was supposedly sealed and learned from it.  I now carry anything like this in a tied, large plastic trash bag as insurance.   My last trip was a huge portable roaster filled with 10 pounds of cooked pinto beans.  It was very difficult to get a large leaf bag around it but it was well worth the piece of mind.  

I'm trying to find a workshop manual to guide me through the disassembly process.  If I can get to the lowest point of the spill, I'd be able to remove the sauce (and hopefully the smell with baking soda). 

#6 OFFLINE   samuraitakenz

samuraitakenz

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

I was going to suggest a wet/dry shop vac, but removing the panels is probably the way to go.  Clean everything with bleach afterwards.

I spilled a parmesan cheese casserole on the floor of my old Audi.  It smelled like vomit for weeks, even after scrubbing the carpet.  I finally resorted to "Nature's Miracle" which did the job (works great on cat urine as well).

Adrian

What is Nature's Miracle?

#7 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 680 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

It's an enzymatic spray deodorizer, mainly for getting the smell of pet urine out of fabric.   You'll find it in Petsmart, etc. 

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

I'm trying to find a workshop manual to guide me through the disassembly process.  If I can get to the lowest point of the spill, I'd be able to remove the sauce (and hopefully the smell with baking soda). 

You might try an independent audio shop.  Those guys know how to quickly tear cars apart!  LOL   Heck they might even give you some free advice/pointers on how to DIY.

#9 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 650 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

Look here http://fordcmaxhybri...-hybrid-manual/ for the workshop manual link.  You can purchase a one month subscription for $20.00.

Edited by Bill-N, 11 February 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,854 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Look on e-bay.  Here's an OEM CD and another.   Note one has to change the date if beyond expiration. You probably can find illegal copies of the OEM CD for even less.

#11 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 547 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

Hey folks,

I'm checking ALLDATA  and I;m coming up empty.  So I was looking at how to remove the hybrid battery and it refers to loadspace trim panels to remove.  problem is the ALLDATA is pretty mum on how to remove the loadspace trim panels...

I would imagine that you'd have to remove the carpet and then begin prying at the corners and see what happens.

Kinda of like exploratory surgery.  proceede with caution...

have you given any though to heading over to the ford dealership with a dozen donuts for the service guy  and ask to take a look at their shop manual for a few minutes???

#12 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 680 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Man.  I miss the old days when panels (sometimes wood) were held in with phillips screws.

Just be careful with those plastic grommet things--they snap easily.

Edited by Adrian_L, 11 February 2015 - 03:48 PM.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trunk, spill, sauce, liquid, smell, undercarriage, remove, removal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·