Installed Trans Heater Pad

ptjones

stats from drive to work... seems I have reached my max allotment of files.  so its in excel format  which is smaller than a pdf..  I'll go back and start deleting pics form my gallery. so I can post data from my trip.

my car is garaged at my house in the AM  which is why the ambient temp starts high and drops all the way to work...

stats from drive to work... seems I have reached my max allotment of files.  so its in excel format  which is smaller than a pdf..  I'll go back and start deleting pics form my gallery. so I can post data from my trip.

my car is garaged at my house in the AM  which is why the ambient temp starts high and drops all the way to work...

Well I left dc area around 4pm. And arrived at 10am. Encounters lots of rain and a few big flakes. But air temps never got below 35

I have the data from the 800 miles down. And I don't think I have any coolants temps over 200. Nor did I recall seeing any trans temps over 150 with air temps in upper 30's

The cmax does not like hi way especially flat highway. Not bad 830 miles 20 gallons of gas. But for the first 700 miles I only had about 50 ev miles. The final 100 miles was 45-65 mph with some hills and traffic lights. I set the cruise at 65. And let it ride...

I doing 200 miles tomorrow with air temps in the 60-70 range

Well now I'm concerned to why I'm seeing temps up to 250*F TFT.  When temps get a little warmer I'm going to drain some Trans Fluid out and see what it looks like. I do have alot more miles(94K) on my CMAX than others on this forum and it would good to find out whats going on. I'm glad I decided to monitor TFT, hopefully others will and we will be able to get a base line temp range.  It hasn't hurt my MPG's to much with temps in 20-30's*F, I'm averaging close to 48mpg on this tank. Will update when I check my Trans Fluid. :)

Paul

Well now I'm concerned to why I'm seeing temps up to 250*F TFT.  When temps get a little warmer I'm going to drain some Trans Fluid out and see what it looks like. I do have alot more miles(94K) on my CMAX than others on this forum and it would good to find out whats going on. I'm glad I decided to monitor TFT, hopefully others will and we will be able to get a base line temp range.  It hasn't hurt my MPG's to much with temps in 20-30's*F, I'm averaging close to 48mpg on this tank. Will update when I check my Trans Fluid. :)

Paul

Is it possible the Scangauge is simply not interpreting the data correctly? I have seen scanners that give wildly inaccurate readings.

Is it possible the Scangauge is simply not interpreting the data correctly? I have seen scanners that give wildly inaccurate readings.

When the ICE is cold I get the same or close WT and TFT, was hoping someone with a ScanGaugeII would put in the Codes in and see what they are getting for TFT. :)

Paul

" I do have alot more miles(94K)"

I don't have access to my digital or hard copy manual.

At 35+K on the odometer plus 10+K towed miles I'm thinking it's time to change ours.
I gave up on the "start the motor every 2 hours" when towing.
It didn't want to start unless I turned on the AC etc. Even when I could get it started it would only run for a few minutes.

When DO WE change the fluid?

wab

The Owners manual says 150K, but I think I'm going to check the color of the fluid by sticking a Qtip thru the Oil leveling plug hole. I'm thinking now that I need to do a back flush on the Trans Fluid cooler to make sure their aren't any blockages in the Cooler which might account for higher than normal TFT's.

I wouldn't think you would need to change the Trans Fluid for a while, it's not to hard to check, read above. :)

Paul

The Owners manual says 150K, but I think I'm going to check the color of the fluid by sticking a Qtip thru the Oil leveling plug hole. I'm thinking now that I need to do a back flush on the Trans Fluid cooler to make sure their aren't any blockages in the Cooler which might account for higher than normal TFT's.

I wouldn't think you would need to change the Trans Fluid for a while, it's not to hard to check, read above. :)

Paul

I wonder if the cooler has a thermostat ? If it does (most do) you won't be able to flush it.

I wonder if the cooler has a thermostat ? If it does (most do) you won't be able to flush it.

In the FORD CMAX Hybrid Service Manual 307-02 Transmission Cooling gives 8 step procedure for "Transmission Fluid Cooler- Back flushing and Cleaning -Hybrid Electric Vehicle"

I look thru the Trans parts list and didn't see a thermostat. :)

Paul

Have you tried the obvious and removed your grill covers and then checked tranny temps?

Yes, I have removed the lower cover where the Trans Cooler is and temps still went up to 250*F.  Part of the problem is that the shutters don't open until 215*F WT so taking the Lower Grill Cover off doesn't accomplish any improvement in cooling the Trans.Fluid. The trick is to get WT above 215*F so shutters will open, so my plan is to only block the passenger side half of lower grill so there will be air flow thru the shutters when they open up. :)

Paul

If the trans is cooled by a cooler within the radiator maybe you should monitor coolant temp too.

Maybe the  coolant is high if the trans temp is high.

I have monitoring WT since I got the car, but only two weeks ago been able to come up the codes to monitor TFT. The Trans Cooler is separate from Radiator. I hope tomorrow to be able to check trans fluid level and condition of fluid. :)

Paul

Should get some good data on The Enterprise over the weekend.  I finally dug out an OBD Pros interface I had and tried it out - it worked.  But the freebie software that came with it is super simple and looks like its from the days of DOS.  Found this program, downloaded it, and immediately started reading more data than I know what to do with! :)  All sorts of temps including TFT, GPS data (even on my SE), all 4 tire pressures (to 0.1 PSI!) and tons of HVB, hybrid drive and electrical data.  There are some very interesting values relating to battery charge/discharge in 4 modes of car operation - like cumulative discharge in Sleep mode.  Might be some clues, or some kind of record, about 12V battery problems.  Stay tuned.  Its mind boggling how much data is flying around inside our carputers!

Should get some good data on The Enterprise over the weekend.  I finally dug out an OBD Pros interface I had and tried it out - it worked.  But the freebie software that came with it is super simple and looks like its from the days of DOS.  Found this program, downloaded it, and immediately started reading more data than I know what to do with! :)  All sorts of temps including TFT, GPS data (even on my SE), all 4 tire pressures (to 0.1 PSI!) and tons of HVB, hybrid drive and electrical data.  There are some very interesting values relating to battery charge/discharge in 4 modes of car operation - like cumulative discharge in Sleep mode.  Might be some clues, or some kind of record, about 12V battery problems.  Stay tuned.  Its mind boggling how much data is flying around inside our carputers!

Phenomenal find.  I downloaded to my laptop and tested briefly.  It finds 15 modules.  I had a previously set (not current) DTC in the Body Control Module .  B10D7:81-6C --apparently something to do with the Passive Anti-theft System (I think perhaps when I try to start my SEL with no FOB around and get the message - no key detected / present message).

Guys for the cost of around a $20 wifi adapter (which I already had for my Ipad), the program -- to quote SnowStorm -- is "mind boggling".  Quit "wondering" about the data and fault codes and spend the $20 or so. :)   It likely will be the best $20 MOD you will ever make (of course you will need a windows or IOS device).

So here's the transmission data from this morning (OAT=Outside Air Temp, ECT=Engine Coolant Temp, TFT=Transmission Fluid Temp):

• OAT ECT TFT Speed
  •   46    48    47    0    In Garage
  •   10   144   63    0    4 miles from home
  •   16   180  103   50   Another 18 miles at (mostly) 65 mph
  •   18   135  110   64   Another 6 miles in EV (downhill!)
  •   27   180  127   64   After about an hour at 65 mph
  •   32   181  128   55   After about an hour at 55 mph
  •   39   189  136   55   About another hour at 55 mph

So TFT slowly kept rising to 136F with outside temps going from 10F to 39F.  Engine cooled off in EV mode but not transmission - makes sense.

SnowStorm Great job! This morning I changed my Oil and Filter to Mobil 1 0-20W and K&N filter. I was going to check my Trans Fluid level, but first felt the Trans Cooler lines and they are cold, Transmission is hot.   So I'm thinking the cooler is plugged up, 20 minutes of driving to AutoZone and back TFT hit 170*F, 56*FOT. Monday I'm going to make an appointment with Dealer to figure this out.

The scarey thing about this is MADMAX seems to be running fine, I'm getting good MPG's and the only reason I know I have a problem is I just got TFT figured out on the ScanGaugeII.   I wonder how many other CMAXers could be having the same problem and not know it. ;)

Paul

Some other tranny related temps are below (with TFT=136F, OT=37F):

144F = Generator Coil Temperature (GCLTEMP)

149F = Motor Coil Temperature (MCLTEMP)

100F = Generator Inverter Phase Temperature (G_PHTMP)

111F = Motor Inverter Phase Temperature (M_PHTMP)

Don't know any codes or formulas for them, though.  Again, this was after a couple of hours at about 55 mph with OT rising to 37F.