Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Installed Trans Heater Pad

heater pad trans

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 542 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

torque data logging works....  in my 30 minute drive home from work... it recorded data 4827 times...or 103 single spaced pages

so now I need to figure out  how much is too much.  maybe every minute on a short trip??  and every ten minutes on a long trip?

So I have pared down the data to once every 30 seconds  if anyone wants the full data  let me know.  also give me ideas on what you want logged...

I logged time, Ambient air temp, engine coolant, engine rpm, Speed, trans temp.

in a nut shell.. low trans temp of 64 in a semi climate controlled garage at work with ambient air 62

by the time I got home   trans temp 107, ambient air 32, engine temp 165.  max speed of  47.  total distance (one thing I did not capture) is about 15 miles.

Attached Files

• ptjones and hybridbear like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   62Lincoln

62Lincoln

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

I have an 800 mile trip from Dc to florida on thursday

Check the weather forecasts for the Carolinas on Thursday.

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,236 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

Great Job! I printed out your Data and it is obvious to me that my Transmission runs hotter than yours. On a trip like yours I would be running around 150*F.  What I don't know for sure is whether Grill Covers have any effect on Trans temps. Going home without lower Grill Cover to night, see if it makes any difference.

Marc Smith looks Like Grill Covers would help get your ICE up to operating temp and sooner too. You need to get to 202*F as quickly as possible.  My FORD SM said he was told Trans operating temp was the same as ICE, 200-220*F.  I know from my experience the only time I see those temps is on the FWY. :)

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

I did check the i 95 corridor

..I'm in charge of setting up the snow crews at work...this time of year can be tricky...

rocky mount...

http://www.intellica...cation=USNC0581

from richmond to savannah  looks good.  Wednesday looks questionable...

Paul,

I plan on doing grill covers, one day   :)  .    I'm going to try to make them out of aluminum and tuck them in between the grill slots  to retain the factory look of the front end.  this time of year  my ice is running more for the cabin heat than anything else  on the short commute to work.  The enrgi  would have probably been the smarter choice  if I could have found one used in the price range I was looking at  I'm still getting 40-45 to/from work...

I was looking on torque and I don't think I can tell it to capture data at a set time...  so I can only imagine  how many lines of data im going to get on my way to florida...

Edited by Marc Smith, 24 February 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:15 AM

i stand corrected on the weather.    looks like I might be going 81  instead of 95...   or departing this afternoon  it seems that cant decid on whether there's going to rain or snow...  dependingon who you listen too

#26 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:03 AM

stats from drive to work... seems I have reached my max allotment of files.  so its in excel format  which is smaller than a pdf..  I'll go back and start deleting pics form my gallery. so I can post data from my trip.

my car is garaged at my house in the AM  which is why the ambient temp starts high and drops all the way to work...

#27 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

stats from drive to work... seems I have reached my max allotment of files.  so its in excel format  which is smaller than a pdf..  I'll go back and start deleting pics form my gallery. so I can post data from my trip.

my car is garaged at my house in the AM  which is why the ambient temp starts high and drops all the way to work...

#28 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

...............well take 2  9 pages,  data captured every 5 seconds

Attached Files

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

...............well take 2  9 pages,  data captured every 5 seconds

Can you set it for once every minute or maybe every 5 minutes on your trip? Be careful on your drive. I PMed you on how to delete Pics. :)

Paul

#30 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 542 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

Well I left dc area around 4pm. And arrived at 10am. Encounters lots of rain and a few big flakes. But air temps never got below 35

I have the data from the 800 miles down. And I don't think I have any coolants temps over 200. Nor did I recall seeing any trans temps over 150 with air temps in upper 30's

The cmax does not like hi way especially flat highway. Not bad 830 miles 20 gallons of gas. But for the first 700 miles I only had about 50 ev miles. The final 100 miles was 45-65 mph with some hills and traffic lights. I set the cruise at 65. And let it ride...

I doing 200 miles tomorrow with air temps in the 60-70 range
  • ptjones likes this

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

Well now I'm concerned to why I'm seeing temps up to 250*F TFT.  When temps get a little warmer I'm going to drain some Trans Fluid out and see what it looks like. I do have alot more miles(94K) on my CMAX than others on this forum and it would good to find out whats going on. I'm glad I decided to monitor TFT, hopefully others will and we will be able to get a base line temp range.  It hasn't hurt my MPG's to much with temps in 20-30's*F, I'm averaging close to 48mpg on this tank. Will update when I check my Trans Fluid. :)

Paul

#32 OFFLINE   62Lincoln

62Lincoln

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

Paul, it looks like the car definitely has an outboard transmission cooler:  http://www.fordparts...ord&model=C-Max

Could the airflow to it be blocked by one of your panels?

#33 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 677 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

This may be a shot in the dark, but is it possible your trans. oil temperature sensor has gone wonky?  I know they are usually bulletproof, but the one in my Audi failed and set off a warning light.

Edited by Adrian_L, 26 February 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Locationhome
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:27 AM

Well now I'm concerned to why I'm seeing temps up to 250*F TFT.  When temps get a little warmer I'm going to drain some Trans Fluid out and see what it looks like. I do have alot more miles(94K) on my CMAX than others on this forum and it would good to find out whats going on. I'm glad I decided to monitor TFT, hopefully others will and we will be able to get a base line temp range.  It hasn't hurt my MPG's to much with temps in 20-30's*F, I'm averaging close to 48mpg on this tank. Will update when I check my Trans Fluid. :)

Paul

Is it possible the Scangauge is simply not interpreting the data correctly? I have seen scanners that give wildly inaccurate readings.

#35 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

Is it possible the Scangauge is simply not interpreting the data correctly? I have seen scanners that give wildly inaccurate readings.

When the ICE is cold I get the same or close WT and TFT, was hoping someone with a ScanGaugeII would put in the Codes in and see what they are getting for TFT. :)

Paul

#36 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

" I do have alot more miles(94K)"

I don't have access to my digital or hard copy manual.

At 35+K on the odometer plus 10+K towed miles I'm thinking it's time to change ours.
I gave up on the "start the motor every 2 hours" when towing.
It didn't want to start unless I turned on the AC etc. Even when I could get it started it would only run for a few minutes.

When DO WE change the fluid?

wab

#37 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

The Owners manual says 150K, but I think I'm going to check the color of the fluid by sticking a Qtip thru the Oil leveling plug hole. I'm thinking now that I need to do a back flush on the Trans Fluid cooler to make sure their aren't any blockages in the Cooler which might account for higher than normal TFT's.

I wouldn't think you would need to change the Trans Fluid for a while, it's not to hard to check, read above. :)

Paul

#38 OFFLINE   SStoner

SStoner

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Hybrid

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

The Owners manual says 150K, but I think I'm going to check the color of the fluid by sticking a Qtip thru the Oil leveling plug hole. I'm thinking now that I need to do a back flush on the Trans Fluid cooler to make sure their aren't any blockages in the Cooler which might account for higher than normal TFT's.

I wouldn't think you would need to change the Trans Fluid for a while, it's not to hard to check, read above. :)

Paul

I wonder if the cooler has a thermostat ? If it does (most do) you won't be able to flush it.

#39 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,352 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Blackstone does tranny fluid, too. (as may oher vendors)

http://www.blackston...ransmission.php

Frank

#40 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

I wonder if the cooler has a thermostat ? If it does (most do) you won't be able to flush it.

In the FORD CMAX Hybrid Service Manual 307-02 Transmission Cooling gives 8 step procedure for "Transmission Fluid Cooler- Back flushing and Cleaning -Hybrid Electric Vehicle"

I look thru the Trans parts list and didn't see a thermostat. :)

Paul

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heater pad, trans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·