Interior Chrome Mods

tpowel2

I know a lot of people don't like chrome anymore, ...

Well, I like it better than the brushed aluminum car makers have gotten stuck on.  But, being a woodworker from way back, would really like wood - something like this (but they don't cover that big strip of gray just below the dash).  Also don't know if they do the SE.

Brother, I have dreams about real wood on dashboards.  I saw a Volt with a similar treatment to your link/pic. and it felt like a Bentley in there.  I just sent off a quote for the 47 piece package in dark burlwood.  Not sure why they don't have prices on their site.  (EDIT: I was referred to another site and you're looking at $300 for the 47 piece kit).

As to the original post, in my opinion, you can't beat the combination of chrome and gloss black.   

Edited by Adrian_L

That's what I concluded from some minor poking and prodding. I will try the tape and paper method one of these days. Thanks..

I removed the vent unit (with the chrome bezels) from the dash just as practice in preparation for doing a Plastidip job.

The removal was easy.

(I never did do the Plastidip job. I covered the chrome with a strip of black pin striping tape instead.)

... I covered the chrome with a strip of black pin striping tape instead.)

If you got the vents out, you're a better man than I...

How's pin stripe tape look?

The trick with masking tape and Plastidip spray is scoring the desired paint margin before removing the masking tape, or the tape brings the Plastidip with it. Tape would eliminate this issue, and would likely be an easier way to black out the other bright spots. I used a black paint pen on the vent flap controls, and directional tab, applied after the picture. I'd love a better way...

HAve fun,

Frank

If you got the vents out, you're a better man than I...

How's pin stripe tape look?

The trick with masking tape and Plastidip spray is scoring the desired paint margin before removing the masking tape, or the tape brings the Plastidip with it. Tape would eliminate this issue, and would likely be an easier way to black out the other bright spots. I used a black paint pen on the vent flap controls, and directional tab, applied after the picture. I'd love a better way...

HAve fun,

Frank

There is a release tab.  It's hard to find, but once you find it the removal is easy.  I'll need to have a new look to refresh my memory.  If that works, I'll post a tip.

The black tape was not really glossy, but it was not "flat;" so, it is not a 100% solution.  It was effective enough that I never notice the reflection unless I'm looking for it.

I think that the best solution would be to buy the 2015 vent as a replacement.  I understand that it has no chrome, but is all black.