Audi A3 TDi

kc1174

Okay, so it's not a hybrid and the only battery in it is, well the 12v, but I'm posting this here as I let my C-Max go last Monday and got one of these.

My 2013 still had some value (trade in SE 15k miles with MFT - $15k) vs the loan balance, so I decided to get an Audi diesel.

I was looking and a Fusion Energi titanium, but the Audi was less ($35k), even with a Ford X-Plan on the energi.

First week with this - I'm getting the exact same mpg as I was getting babying the C-Max - 53mpg on both the Audi display and the Scangauge. Car only has 400 miles on it so it's not yet broken in either. And I'm just driving it like a car. I miss the C-max CVT and strangely MFT too, but don't miss the brakes ;)

Anyway, I figured this was the best place to say bye and throw out there an alternative. Doubt it's a competing product per-se, but on FE, and cost for a nice interior, it's not too far off. Diesel costs more, but these engines last forever. The A3 has the same size gas tank as the C-Max, so if I break 600 miles, I'll see if I'm allowed to post it up ;)

One thing I will miss is this forum though. Lots of help from everyone here. When there's issues and recalls, we're all in the same boat which is great too. Audi forums kind of suck.

I have an unused oem cover and oddly a couple of headlights from when I swapped the originals out with some nice European ones, so I'll post them up in the forum sometime.

Cheers, and I'll still be about seeing what's going on.

Kevin

You treasonous old so-and-so....

I traded in an A6 (v8) when I bought my C-max.  I miss the big, comfy seats, the 335 horsepower and the heated steering wheel.  The rain-sensing wipers were on crack and I don't miss the staggering repair bills and the $100 fill ups.

I was on one of the Audi forums too.   I felt like I was in a maximum security prison.  Let's just say the uncouth conduct makes our forum look like the retired English ladies' lawn bowling club.  "Cucumber sandwich, anyone?"

Edited by Adrian_L

How does the driving position A3 compare to the Cmax? I got a Cmax rather than a fusion because I like the higher driving position.  Is the A3 as low as a fusion?  How are the driving ergonomics? I will replace my 2013 soon with a 2016 Cmax but would like to consider the A3 diesel or etron.

Diesel costs more, but these engines last forever. 

I've considered diesels for my wife and her highway commute but the high cost of diesel here (often 20-40 cents more than premium) plus the much higher running costs (more frequent and higher cost oil changes, urea refills, etc) cancel out the better hwy mpg's they can get.  Finally, only VW's are available locally and their reputation isn't so great.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy your new ride!

You treasonous old so-and-so....

I traded in an A6 (v8) when I bought my C-max. I miss the big, comfy seats, the 335 horsepower and the heated steering wheel. The rain-sensing wipers were on crack and I don't miss the staggering repair bills and the $100 fill ups.

I was on one of the Audi forums too. I felt like I was in a maximum security prison. Let's just the uncouth conduct makes our forum look like the retired English ladies' lawn bowling club. "Cucumber sandwich, anyone?"

:) Yeah the rain sensing wipers are a bit odd - basically on what I've always known to be the intermittent setting. Wipes whenever it feels like it - and always on in fog.. Talking of which - rear fog lights! Missed those since moving from the UK 12 years ago. Repair bills can be high but I have a 4 yr 50k warranty and Audi care for the scheduled services for I think 50k miles for $800 so I think I'm good there. Plus they always give an Audi loaner when it's in the shop vs Enterprise :) Fill ups - agree diesel costs more but it's not far off what we were paying 6 months ago, so I'm good. For now! I think overall I feel more relaxed in the Audi than the C-Max. Don't think it's the comfort, just the ride and people don't ride my ass anymore like they did in the C-Max. The hybrid badge seemed to be a magnet for idiots to cut me off despite me doing the same speeds in this (with, I might add, less torque and horsepower in the Audi)! Those forums suck and it's all about VCDS and Can-bus hacks in there, which I'm not prepared to bother with. If it ain't broken, no need to fix it!

I've considered diesels for my wife and her highway commute but the high cost of diesel here (often 20-40 cents more than premium) plus the much higher running costs (more frequent and higher cost oil changes, urea refills, etc) cancel out the better hwy mpg's they can get. Finally, only VW's are available locally and their reputation isn't so great.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy your new ride!

Cheers! Yeah Audi's are basically squashed beetles, but the diesel engines aren't bad. Think they also do Passat or Jetta hybrids. Quality may not be the same as an Audi, but it's all VW. If they ever get round to the Blumotion here - that's definitely one to go for.

How does the driving position A3 compare to the Cmax? I got a Cmax rather than a fusion because I like the higher driving position. Is the A3 as low as a fusion? How are the driving ergonomics? I will replace my 2013 soon with a 2016 Cmax but would like to consider the A3 diesel or etron.

Takes some getting used to - especially falling into the car vs. stepping into the C-Max. I got the driver's assistance package so lane warning and a flashing blind spot light if someone's in the next lane. The Fusion I found I could see out less than the Audi, especially the rear window. I miss being above everyone like in the C-Max but the view isn't too bad in this compared with the C-Max. I'm 6'0 and the Fusion seat wouldn't go high enough for me to be comfortable looking out vs. the C-Max and the A3. If the eTron A3 makes it here, or the Blumotion TDi or even the A1 TDi, I would definitely take a look if I was you. I felt bad leaving my C-Max. Saw it sat there when I went back to reset my MFT on Saturday.. Served me well and is a great car, I just saw the value vs the loan balance and figured it's time. Maybe in a few years Ford will revamp it and make it a bit more aerodynamical (and fix the 12v issues) and I'll take the plunge again. Fusion, not so much, and that Focus electric.. Unlikely. :)

Edited by kc1174

• 1 month later...

I had a VW jetta TDI and I got rid of it for the CMAX as the CMAX is nicer and costs far less. The Jetta only gets 30 MPG city and about 45 highway, but diesel costs more. What's worse, is the maintenance is more expensive than a semi truck! Oil changes were $150 and the 40,000 mile service was $1,200 if I did it at the dealer, or about $400 if I did it myself. That drops the effective fuel economy to like 26 city 32 highway when you account for the additional costs, and when you consider the price difference between gas and diesel, it drops to like 22 city 27 highway. No thanks.

Edited by SPL Tech

My repair costs on my 2005 Audi A6 were absolutely brutal.  It didn't help that the last 3 mechanics I went to said they would never, never buy Audi.  Trading in that monster and having the C-max has reduced a great deal of stress in my life.

Still.  It had a lovely dashboard and was a joy to drive.

I'm happy enough with it. Only annoying thing is my C-Max is still sat there unsold at the Audi dealer...

http://www.crownaudi.com/used-Tampa+Bay-2013-Ford-CMax+Hybrid-SE-1FADP5AU6DL502467

I told them - take a photo of the lifetime mpg showing 48. Nope. Also offered them to give whoever buys it my number so I can show them what's what. We'll see.

It was sad to say bye to the C-Max. I will admit when I went back to reset the MFT (I forgot), that I felt bad it sitting there. Still do a bit. It's funny how bad in my experience Ford sales were/are at selling the car, which is why I offered the Audi dealer my services if needed. Trade in btw was $14k ish so it looks like they're trying to get rid.

Anyway, on the Audi - I'm taking the same roads to from work and getting 48 before and now 54 after 1,000 miles. Managed 65 on a freak day with no traffic and tailwind. I have a photo I'll find. Lifetime is at 45.4 and going up and last 13.2 tank with 0 remaining was 645 miles. Trick is the S-tronic dual clutch thing where you get to 6th in manual around 40mph and use cruise a lot. My commute is mostly 45mph roads.

Yep, it's costly to maintain but I have this Audi care thing where scheduled maintenance is prepaid to 45k and the warranty is a year longer.It costs more, but it's nice. Maybe if I had an SEL with Sony, I'd be less impressed with this but mine was an SE. This will sound odd, but I prefer MFT over the MMI Audi has. AC doesn't appear to affect mpg either, and Scangauge backs me up. Weird. Maybe it's the gaspods..

To be fair, if I based things on cost to buy, maintain and get good mpg, I'd get a Fiesta :) Overall I'm happy, I just wish they'd sell my C-Max and give it a good home...

post-504-0-42209000-1427327290_thumb.jpg

Edited by kc1174

I re-read your older post.   You'll be ok if you've got a 50k warranty.  The service at my local Audi dealership was first class (Cappuccino and a brand new A6 as a service loaner).  

Alright then, guv.   TTFN from a fellow Brit.

Adrian

Ta! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Audi engine utilize an EGR circuit? Have these engines (more so in the VW's I suppose) had any issues with carbon buidlup over time?

Yep, it does have an EGR valve. I've read they can pack up after a lot of miles, but I have this VCDS OBD-II scan tool to diagnose or code and bypass it if need be. Being a car that's been out since 2012 in Europe, parts seem pretty easy to come by even though it's new to us. On carbon buildup, it seems to affect gas engines from what I've read. My lifetime mpg is going very well. Finding a decent Audi forum, less so.

• 4 months later...

I didn't choose the VW Diesel because I couldn't get over the vibration and clatter at idle. How's the vibration on the A3?

I haven't looked at the Passat or CC or Golf to compare, but to be honest it sounds like a gas engine. There is pretty good sound suppression in the A3 though. Not sure if the other VW's have it. Can only really tell it's a diesel when it's running and I have the hood up. Had a go in an RS7 the other week while mine was getting its first oil change and that's noisy for other reasons. Managed 44mpg in that on a 20 mile round trip, such is the effect on me after driving the C-Max and now the A3... 560hp V8 engine too :)

I didn't choose the VW Diesel because I couldn't get over the vibration and clatter at idle.  How's the vibration on the A3?

Interesting you should say that. Our 2014 Passat TDI had people wondering if it really was a diesel. Couldn't tell at all from the engine. As it has broken in, you can tell it is a diesel, but I would not say it clatters, or vibrates excessively. We are right at 20k miles.

• 1 month later...