2016, turning radius

rfruth

There are no specs announced for a 2016 US model C-MAX, so it's impossible to speculate what any number might be until the Fleet Guide is released months from now.

The 2013 C-MAX Hybrid turning circle is published at 35.8 feet. http://www.edmunds.com/ford/c-max-hybrid/2013/road-test-specs1.html

What are you driving now? If it's a recent mid-sized front-wheel-drive car, you likely won't notice a great deal of difference. 

Front wheel drive cars in general cannot turn as tight as the front wheels of rear-wheel-drive-only vehicles, because the front wheels of front wheel drive cars are connected to drive shafts and CV joints, and just can't turn as tight.

My daily driver is a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The track is about .5 inches narrower. The car is about 2 inches shorter than C-MAX and the wheelbase is also about 2-inches shorter. Turning circle for the Vibe is published at 36.7 feet, yet it "feels" as if it turns about 1 foot tighter than the C-MAX. http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/vibe/2003/features-specs/

By the time I had driven our C-MAX a few times, I no longer "felt" much difference.

One has to be careful with quoted turning circles.  IMO, the important "turning circle" is measured from the outside edge of the bumper not the outside of the tire.  

When pulling into a parking space between two vehicles, backing out of the parking space, or making a U-turn with cars parked on the street, the bumper clearance turning circle is the relevant one not the curb to curb turning circle.  IMO, the C-Max should be rated "unacceptable" in bumper clearance turning circle. :) The C-Max has a 41 foot bumper clearance turning circle compared to my 2008 Nissan Rogue of 39 feet and 2009 Jetta TDI of 37 feet.  The curb to curb turning circle for the C-Max appears to be about 38.3/4 feet based on several sites (can't find any Ford spec and I question the Edmund's number of 35.8),  My 2009 Jetta TDI has a curb to curb of 35.8.  My C-Max doesn't come close to that.

You will notice the larger turn when you first get your new C-MAX. It's not nearly a big enough deal to warrant crossing the C-MAX off of your list. U-turns are bigger, and you will notice this on small roads. Parking is not an issue.

I agree with all of the above.  Plus, I haven't even thought about it for like a year in a half.

Edited by obob

Yeah, I agree with the last post as well -- noticed it first when I got Maximis, now never think twice about it.

I have to do a U-Turn to park in front of my house, so I notice it every day. I have to back up to avoid hitting the curb. My wife has a 2014 VW Passat that clears the curb by 3 feet, and it is a bigger car. I'm not sure why they didn't provide a better turn radius.

Obviously if there is a particular turn you always make you will notice things -- but I suspect I haven't actually made a U-turn more than twice in the last 20 years <g> (can't say I always know where I'm going, but with GPS I can always find a way to get there :>).

I actually think my Durango has a better turning radius but it doesn't seem like it only because the hood is so far out in front of it.  I always forget how very short the hood is in front of me in Maximis and am always pleasantly surprised by how much room I have in a turn (whereas I'd have hit something in the front of the Durango).  So for me now it's just the opposite of what you experiencing.

my wifes Saturn Vue  turns like a bus...  my HHR and Prius  felt much easier getting into the garage than the C-max  and drivinga round the parking garage at work  the C-max feels larger than it is in tight parking lots....

this is one failing that US car makers  seems to have that our european bretheren have mastered...the tight turning radius...

http://www.cars.com/ford/c-max-hybrid/2013/specifications

Vue 20

Cmax 19

HHR 18

Pruis 17..

My previous Volvo S60R had a published 42.7ft circle, so the C-max is MUCH better than that car.  Even with that one it was a minor inconvenience.  Looking at Edmunds data the C-max is better than a Volt or Prius V, slightly worse than the base Prius. 

my wifes Saturn Vue  turns like a bus...  my HHR and Prius  felt much easier getting into the garage than the C-max  and drivinga round the parking garage at work  the C-max feels larger than it is in tight parking lots....

this is one failing that US car makers  seems to have that our european bretheren have mastered...the tight turning radius...

http://www.cars.com/ford/c-max-hybrid/2013/specifications

Vue 20

Cmax 19

HHR 18

Pruis 17..

Oddly enough, I believe the C-Max is a European design. But they also have three seats capability over there.

Steve,  I agree that the Cmax is a European design...

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/ford/c-max/turning-circle/

the British C-max has a turning circle of 11 meters  kerb to kerb...  or  about 33 feet...  which is smaller than the posted  at cars .com...

?????

The European C-Max has a conventional ICE powerplant.

A possible explanation for our larger turning radius is that the whole hybrid drive (ICE, electric motor, power split device, etc.) takes up so much more space than does the Euro stuff that it encroaches on the room for wheel, tire and steering gear movement.

Now, having said something sensible, I must divert myself by confessing that I actually get some perverse enjoyment from the large turning radius.  Having spent a lifetime driving large to huge cars, I am uncomfortable driving small cars.  I am, however, entirely comfortable in the C-Max.  The unforgivingly large turning radius merely adds to the immense passenger space, expansive glass area, and overly generous headroom to give me the felling that I am driving a huge vehicle again.

Edited by Smiling Jack

Steve,  I agree that the Cmax is a European design...

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/ford/c-max/turning-circle/

the British C-max has a turning circle of 11 meters  kerb to kerb...  or  about 33 feet...  which is smaller than the posted  at cars .com...

?????

That is actually about 36 feet. No way ours is that small. I'd estimate about 39 feet or even more.

The turning radius does suck but it shouldn't kill the deal.  I do have a gripe about the steering ratio which is too quick for highway use.  However, you can expect sports car handling from this chassis.  I used to own a MR2, Celica GTS, 07 VW GTI, etc..... and I find the CMax handles really well.   I drive on high speed mountain roads every day and have no problem keeping up or even passing expensive sports cars.  

The turning radius does suck but it shouldn't kill the deal.  I do have a gripe about the steering ratio which is too quick for highway use.  However, you can expect sports car handling from this chassis.  I used to own a MR2, Celica GTS, 07 VW GTI, etc..... and I find the CMax handles really well.   I drive on high speed mountain roads every day and have no problem keeping up or even passing expensive sports cars.  

I knew about the turning radius and still bought the car. It handles well, although I find the steering a bit too sensitive at highway speeds.

HANDLING is excellent.

TURNING RADIUS on the other hand is poor, although that's not unusual in front-wheel-drive cars. The parking space in my building is next to a pole, so I can't swing wide into the adjacent space, which means I have to turn in, back up, and re-enter the space in order to avoid being over the left line. Other than that, the only time it's an issue is when making a U-turn; I have to do those slowly to be sure I'll clear the opposite curb. At this point these behaviors are automatic, so it's not a big deal...a minor inconvenience greatly outweighed by the car's many strong points.

I kind of assumed the reason for the turning radius being so wide was because of lack of space.  Bigger wheel wells mean a bigger car which means less gas mileage, or even more of a crapped or angled position for my left foot when driving.  I am satisfied with the trade off Ford made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...