Check Engine Light

ctford

So I got my new C-Max SEL a week and a half ago. About 4 days after I got it, the check engine light came on out of nowhere. Nothing appeared to be wrong, but the light wouldn't go off. I took it to the dealer a week ago today. They cleared everything and could not fight a problem. I went out earlier to grab some coffee and the light came on again, out of nowhere. So now I'm back to the dealer AGAIN. I haven't owned this car two weeks. What gives? Anyone have similar problems?

So I got my new C-Max SEL a week and a half ago. About 4 days after I got it, the check engine light came on out of nowhere. Nothing appeared to be wrong, but the light wouldn't go off. I took it to the dealer a week ago today. They cleared everything and could not fight a problem. I went out earlier to grab some coffee and the light came on again, out of nowhere. So now I'm back to the dealer AGAIN. I haven't owned this car two weeks. What gives? Anyone have similar problems?

The capless fuel system will cause a check engine light. You usually see a "Check Fuel Filler Inlet Warning" warning first. My C-Max is at the dealer right now awaiting parts and I am driving a 2013 Escape loaner. They have to order a part they don't stock and there is a 2 day turn around.

The Escape is nice but on the same route I got 21 today vs high 40s in my C-Max. :(

jrtjr wrote this:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I don't usually post anything but I get a lot of great information from forums like this so I felt obligated to respond. I'm glad you didn't take it on your trip as I had a similar issue. I also had the check fuel filler inlet message. I tried to correct it by messing around with the inlet to no avail. It was a Friday and I wasn't overly concerned about it so I figured I'd take it in on Monday. I had just over 1,00 miles on it. Saturday we went into town and at 1,050 miles the check engine light came on. Now I had both messages showing up. I immediately took it to the dealer. The dealer was unable to do anything with it on Saturday but gave me a loaner. On the following Thursday they called to tell me it was done. When I picked it up they told me that it had to do with the emmission system and that they replaced a "purge valve" and a "shut off valve". I now have about 2,200 miles on it and haven't had the problem since. I don't know how serious it really was but was relieved to have it corrected. The two items listed on the work order were as follows:

AU5Z-9C915-C VALVE ASY

FV6Z-9D333-A HOSE - CONNECT

I can also provide the statement of what they did if you want it but I figured I wouldn't type it out unless you needed it. Hope this helps...

So I've owned my car less than two weeks. Half of this time, it's been at the dealer awaiting repair! I'm told now I won't get the car back until Monday. The first time the engine light came on they couldn't find anything wrong as there were no codes generated. This time, they got a code. They need to replace something called a "cannister purge valve", whatever that is. They placed an emergency order and are awaiting the part, which isn't expected to arrive until Monday. Great. I'm hoping this fixes the problem and I won't have anymore issues after this! Decided to get the extended warranty though. Looks like I may need it after all. It can be purchased on the owner site.

Colleen

So I've owned my car less than two weeks. Half of this time, it's been at the dealer awaiting repair! I'm told now I won't get the car back until Monday. The first time the engine light came on they couldn't find anything wrong as there were no codes generated. This time, they got a code. They need to replace something called a "cannister purge valve", whatever that is. They placed an emergency order and are awaiting the part, which isn't expected to arrive until Monday. Great. I'm hoping this fixes the problem and I won't have anymore issues after this! Decided to get the extended warranty though. Looks like I may need it after all. It can be purchased on the owner site.

Colleen

Just got mine back from the dealer yesterday with the same part replaced. Took about 2 days to get the parts and about 3 hours to replace/road test.

Edited by darrelld

• 2 weeks later...

One time while driving the car lost power, and said to pull the car over immediately in a safe place. Luckily we had a place to pull out close since we had no power. The yellow wrench came on and stayed on for a day. It was late Saturday afternoon and the dealership was closed, so I decided to turn the car 'off', wait a minute and turned it back on. After turning it back on, the car ran / worked fine. I am going to schedule to have it looked at by the shop hopefully this week.

One time while driving the car lost power, and said to pull the car over immediately in a safe place. Luckily we had a place to pull out close since we had no power. The yellow wrench came on and stayed on for a day. It was late Saturday afternoon and the dealership was closed, so I decided to turn the car 'off', wait a minute and turned it back on. After turning it back on, the car ran / worked fine. I am going to schedule to have it looked at by the shop hopefully this week.

Please keep us updated on this, losing power would be extremely dangerous on the freeways where I live.

Edited by CNCGeek

Just got a call from the dealer and they said that my car had a bad leak detection pump. Not sure if it is a different name for the same part, but I was getting all of the same symptoms (check fuel inlet message). I'll try to report back if I find out whether it was in fact that same part. Hope fully ford is aware of this issue.

Quick update: The dealer ordered the wrong part and said that the part for my vehicle was on back order. I took the vehicle back because they said it would not affect the drivability of the car. Anyone else waiting on parts?

If you started with "Check fuel filler inlet" and later got Check Engine Light I went through the same thing for getting parts. Dealer also told me it was drivable, but I took the 2013 Escape loaner anyway.

If you started with "Check fuel filler inlet" and later got Check Engine Light I went through the same thing for getting parts. Dealer also told me it was drivable, but I took the 2013 Escape loaner anyway.

Yup, sounds like the exact same thing. Sounds like they need to do a bulletin on it or something. 

Ugh.....I too, at 1,300 miles, have joined the "check engine" light group of CMax owners. Love the car but not happy that I am now going down this rat hole. After a visit to the dealer, they determined the following parts need to be replaced, which I believe is similar to another posting earlier on this board:

AU5Z-9C915-C Valve A         

FV6Z-9034-C Pipe

The first part is a Vapor Management Valve (emissions related) and the second part a "Filler Neck" for the fuel pipe (?).

Parts on order and should arrive in a few days. Need to wait until the first week of January to install them so I can leave the car for two days to repair and use a loaner car from the dealer. Dealer Service Manager said the car is new so they were on the telephone interpreting the cars diagnostic codes with the Ford Technicians in Detroit

Should I be upset? Probably but appreciate that it's a new offering that will have some bugs and kinks to work out. I hope this is the only hiccup I will experience since I truly love the car and hope FORD shines with the CMax.

I had a Prius, but purchased it in 2008 long after Toyota worked out the bugs from their first model year, probably 8 to 10 years prior. Must be a little patient with FORD. Hope FORD is listening;)

Edited by aschofer

• 2 weeks later...