Check Engine Light

ctford

I got my cmax about 2 weeks ago and I'm  having the check engine light come on and off  no pattern  only in accessory mode.  I took it in they said no problems found and drove it 50 miles test driving it . thanks guys ill be calling them referencing this forum see if they will do something.

The light will come on without the vehcile in Run Mode.  The only time you don't want it to come on is while the car is Running with the little green car and arrows on in the cluster.  You're trying to have them fix a normal condition.  Don't waste your time. Nothing is wrong with your car.

Edited by drdiesel1

Well, I've been through 2 tankfuls of gas since getting my car back from the dealer.  No "service engine light" yet, however, I did have the message pop up saying something to the affect of  "check fuel filler area" a couple of times.  I pressed "OK" on the left side of the steering wheel, and continued on.  That was about a week ago, and there's be no recurrence.  I did "check" the area (opened the door and saw nothing -- what exactly does "check" mean?).

Anyway, I'm happy to report the above.  Now, I'm not happy to report that my gas mileage is starting to suck...  Could it be the freezing temps we're starting to experience here in upstate NY?  Probably.  I'm sure the engine needs to run in order to keep me warm :) .  Hopefully, my last post on this subject.  Good luck to all the other "service engine" sufferers...

Edited by andrew

Many of us have had a similar problem related to the "Easy Fuel" capless  system not closing properly, resulting in a "check engine" light while driving. The "check fuel filler" message is new to me, but I've poked the funnel into the filler cap a couple times now to turn the light out. Only filled up 7 times, had 3 lights... 

The danger is that something big could be wrong, so you don't want to live with a Check Engine light, and never, ever ignore a flashing Check Engine light.

If your mileage is taking a dive along with the thermometer, put air in your tires. The cold weather has you underinflated, I'd wager; I was. I will recommend setting them to the sidewall rating, not the placard rating, for lower rolling resistance, and less temperature sensitivity.

The other thing you can do is turn off the heat whenever you'd like to EV. Assuming you're a recent build, your C-Max has a 2-stage warm-up, they say, but I see 4 stages.

1) engine cold - ICE always runs until warm

2) engine warm but not hot - EV only if the heat's off, and an extended run the second time ICE turns on

3) engine not hot enough - EV limited to 1 bar when heat is on, but ICE turns on/off as normal

4) engine hot enough - full EV capability with heat on.

This seems odd, but I've confirmed the EV limitations several times.

Have fun,

Frank

3 in 7 seems like a lot. There have been several purge valves replaced.

We've had 2 in 30+ they were on the same tank.

Stuck my finger in the first time, cleared, came on again stuck my finger in some (???) times cleared and hasn't returned.

Probably 5k+ miles since.

pg 1 of this thread

and

post #7 and 8

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/462-check-fuel-filler-inlet/?hl=purge&do=findComment&comment=1625

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the great information here,

Last month, the Check Fuel Fill Inlet warning appeared upon startup in my C-MAX.  I followed the instructions in the manual about inserting the fuel funnel a few times and waited the several driving cycles to see if the system would reset.  The engine light did come on in the midst of waiting as the manual warned, but eventually, the warnings stopped appearing. 

Everything was fine for a couple of weeks.  Then, the Check Fuel Fill Inlet warning started coming on again.  I followed the same instructions, but many, many driving cycles later, the warning was still appearing. 

So, I visited the dealer this morning for that issue along with a liftgate latch problem.  The service advisor told me that this issue had to do with just another computer update.  The written service report stated that they reprogrammed the powertrain control module, cleared the code, and reset the light. 

Of course, having read what everyone posted here, I am skeptical if they really fixed the problem. 

I had the same issue at the end of December. After following the funnel procedure and waiting several driving cycles the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer, and they worked on it. They reprogrammed the PCM and did a smoke test on the exhaust (at least I think that's what they called it) and found a faulty sensor. Said they ordered the part but Ford sent the wrong one and the PCM fix should solve it.

Fast forward to about a week ago, the problem returned. After trying the funnel bit again to no avail, my wife ran it up to the dealer yesterday and we are awaiting their verdict/results. I do NOT like the Nissan Sentra loaner compared to the Cmax.

I had the same issue at the end of December. After following the funnel procedure and waiting several driving cycles the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer, and they worked on it. They reprogrammed the PCM and did a smoke test on the exhaust (at least I think that's what they called it) and found a faulty sensor. Said they ordered the part but Ford sent the wrong one and the PCM fix should solve it.

Fast forward to about a week ago, the problem returned. After trying the funnel bit again to no avail, my wife ran it up to the dealer yesterday and we are awaiting their verdict/results. I do NOT like the Nissan Sentra loaner compared to the Cmax.

TheXym,

Let me lend a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

I have had numerous codes come up with my car. I have a Scangauge, so I can read and reset the codes. I have had the fuel filler code, and evaporative emission code. These two codes went away and have never come back. Both codes came up in extremely cold weather (15 below zero or colder). Once the codes were cleared and the weather warmed above zero, the codes never came back).

The most recent codes for me were P0203 and P0303. The first code is "Misfire". The second code is "#3 fuel injector". I either have a bad #3 injector, wiring problem, or computer. The car has 48,000 miles on it. Hopefully this issue will be covered under the 60,000 mile powertrain warrantee. I won't know until I get the car out of the body shop (I was rear-ended Friday).

I love this car. However, it sure does seem buggy, to me. I know it is one of the most advanced cars on the road today. However, it sure seems to me there are alot of niggling issues with it. That being said, Ford hybrids (FFH and CMax) are listed high on the reliability chart for hybrids.

Matt

I have had numerous codes come up with my car. I have a Scangauge, so I can read and reset the codes. I have had the fuel filler code, and evaporative emission code. These two codes went away and have never come back. Both codes came up in extremely cold weather (15 below zero or colder). Once the codes were cleared and the weather warmed above zero, the codes never came back).

The most recent codes for me were P0203 and P0303. The first code is "Misfire". The second code is "#3 fuel injector". I either have a bad #3 injector, wiring problem, or computer. The car has 48,000 miles on it. Hopefully this issue will be covered under the 60,000 mile powertrain warrantee. I won't know until I get the car out of the body shop (I was rear-ended Friday).

Have you tried dry-gas?  Sounds like a bit of water in the fuel.

But now that I'm thinking about it, if Illinois requires an ethanol blend then water in the gas tank shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry for rambling.

TheXym,

Let me lend a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Thank you! The dealer called this afternoon, said they were on the phone with engineering and were given another battery of tests to run that would go into tomorrow. I can't access the forum from work otherwise I'd have responded earlier.

The dealer called at 10:47 AM and said it was fixed, and that it was a bad purge valve. Thanks for the contact and follow up, Ashley. The RVP you mentioned did contact me and will be following up on Tuesday to see how the car is after driving it for a while.

TheXym,

I so glad to hear it is taken care of! Let me know if you need anything in the future. :)

Ashley

• 4 weeks later...

TheXym,

Ashley

I am a new member that can't send PM's yet and was wondering if you could help me with a similar issue.  I bought my Cmax used with 30,000 miles and at 30,700 miles the check engine light came on for a small evap leak.  Dealership did an evap test and said nothing wrong - cleared code and said they can't change parts without it showing up as a failure.  Is there another test they can run to check the purge valve or do I need to wait for the CEL to come on again?  

I have to take it into the dealership again tomorrow because the intelligent access is acting up.

I am a new member that can't send PM's yet and was wondering if you could help me with a similar issue.  I bought my Cmax used with 30,000 miles and at 30,700 miles the check engine light came on for a small evap leak.  Dealership did an evap test and said nothing wrong - cleared code and said they can't change parts without it showing up as a failure.  Is there another test they can run to check the purge valve or do I need to wait for the CEL to come on again?  

I have to take it into the dealership again tomorrow because the intelligent access is acting up.

bigrigmike,

I'm not a trained technician, so I'm unable to speculate about other tests your dealer might be able to perform. I'm happy to get your regional customer service manager involved, but I'll need some private information from you that I can't get until you can PM me. You do have a few other options, though. You can reach out to our team on Twitter @FordService, send a message to Meagan at Ford or Eric at Ford on Facebook, or call our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

Hope that helps!

Ashley

Mike had you recently filled the tank? I have capless filler and it sometimes fails to seal. Look earlier in this thread. The fix is to use the funnel to open and close the flaps in the filler neck. Haven't seen the MIL in months...

... but then, I dind't have a evap system problem. Hopefully you don't either.

Have fun,
Frank

PS here's a link to the other thread.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/462-check-fuel-filler-inlet/

Edited by fbov

• 3 weeks later...

My 2013 CMax with 5200 miles is at the dealer with unresolved issues.  That's right, I'm at my first scheduled maintenance point and I am already having major issues. 

During the winter it would make a horrid vibration and howling type noise when getting to the second bar (whatever RPMs that is). Feels like it's coming from the tranny. Could never get it to do it for the dealer, guess I'll try again next winter. This started at 800 accumulated miles and only stopped once the weather warmed up.

A month or so ago, we were driving on the Interstate and the check engine light and the little yellow wrench came on and we lost a lot of power and limped home. Took it to the dealer the next day.  Tried to get the dealer to see if it was related to above mentioned vibration and noise.  They kept it indoors and couldn't get it to reoffend.  They said they fixed it, but I don't believe they did more than shut the light off and clear the code and check to see if it came back on.  Said they reprogrammed something, but when I talked to the service advisor recently, she said it didn't look like from their notes that they had reprogrammed anything, just ran it through pin-point tests.  The vibration and noise was worse than ever and happened more frequently after this visit, at least while it was still cold outside. By the time I had the time to take it to the dealer, it had warmed up too much and wasn't doing it anymore, so I didn't take it in.

Once the weather warmed up, the electronics starting tweeking out. Press the button to choose EV Later in the mornings so I can run the ICE to warm up a bit and the console will say it's in EV Later, but will run the full bars of EV and the ICE will not kick in, like it's in EV now or Auto mode.  Sometimes could get it the ICE to kick in when accelerating to get on the interstate, sometimes was forced to drive in EV mode when I didn't want to.  Dealer can't get it to do that either (probably because they aren't doing it the exact same way I am or something).  I took a photo on my phone the last time it did this of the console which I will be emailing to the dealer later today.

Check engine light decided to randomly come on when leaving work on Thursday (right at start up in the parking lot, having run perfectly "normally" twice earlier in the day). Tried stopping and restarting, still on. Drove directly to dealer. It's there now.  They've run some smoke tests on the Evaporative Emissions system due to the codes it's throwing, but so far, inconclusive (NOT ACCEPTABLE in my book to have an inconclusive answer on my brand new car).  So they are hanging on to it and apparently in conversation with the engineers in MI.  I won't be taking it back from them unless they've fixed it - really fixed it, not just made the light go away. And I'll be asking for copies of all the paperwork from previous visits with the code numbers listed. Pretty sure either the PCM is corrupted.  Service advisor told me the PCM wasn't speaking with the rest of the computers in the car properly when they ran initial tests on Thursday evening.  I'll be asking them what came of that initial diagnosis since they are now focusing on the evaporative emissions system and I fear they are missing the forrest for the trees.

Anyone on here from Ford who wants to lend a hand in getting this solved once and for all so I don't have to count the days it's been in the shop in order to claim lemon (cause I love this car, I just want it to work as intended), I would be very appreciative of any help you can give.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great information here,

Last month, the Check Fuel Fill Inlet warning appeared upon startup in my C-MAX.  I followed the instructions in the manual about inserting the fuel funnel a few times and waited the several driving cycles to see if the system would reset.  The engine light did come on in the midst of waiting as the manual warned, but eventually, the warnings stopped appearing. 

Everything was fine for a couple of weeks.  Then, the Check Fuel Fill Inlet warning started coming on again.  I followed the same instructions, but many, many driving cycles later, the warning was still appearing. 

So, I visited the dealer this morning for that issue along with a liftgate latch problem.  The service advisor told me that this issue had to do with just another computer update.  The written service report stated that they reprogrammed the powertrain control module, cleared the code, and reset the light. 

Of course, having read what everyone posted here, I am skeptical if they really fixed the problem.

Since March 10, I've had my C-MAX in and out of the service center with check engine light warnings. After they ran various tests and didn't find much during the first two visits, they finally decided to replace the purge valve this week on the third visit. I got the car back today. So, we'll see how things go.

The part they installed was AU5Z 9C915 D: Valve ASY according to the service report, version D of the same part everyone else seems to have had replaced.

For those of you who had the part replaced in 2012 or 2013, have you had any problems since then?

• 2 months later...

For future reference when searching for specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Ford has free downloads of pdf copies of the "OBD System General Overview and Operation Summary Guides" for Ford and Lincoln vehicles.

NOTE: These are NOT the actual service manuals with repair procedures.

In addition to great technical overviews of the many complex systems at work in our vehicles, it provides a general reference for many of the trouble codes unique to HEV's (Hybrids and Plug Ins).

Downloading a copy to your device allows you to do a quick search of the pdf to locate DTC's

Here's the 2014 Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (includes C-MAX Hybrid and Energi) link: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM1402_HEV.pdf

Here's the 2013 Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (includes C-MAX Hybrid and Energi) link: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM1303_HEV.pdf

Or in the future, select the appropriate model year on this page:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=diag_theory_retail&gutsid=diagsheet&menuIndex1=10

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...