Check Engine Light

ctford

My story is very similar to many of you. Check engine light came on last Monday. Took it to dealership, they thought Wednesday. Got a call Friday part was back ordered and never showed up. Today they say because the car is so new parts are difficult to locate. Keep it as long as you need it until it's fixed. I bought the car in November 2012, the SEL,2013 version. However taking it to a different dealership than where I purchased it from. Original dealership service dept is disorganized, (been there once already and was without car for 2 days due to the SYNC system). Where the C-Max is now...service dept is top shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Am working through the Check Engine light problem with my dealer.  It comes on occasionally when the car has sat overnight when you go through the starting process.  Will not show the "Ready to Drive" indication.  Had to power it off then restart the process and it is normal.

This had happened 7-8 times so I finally took it in.  Interesting that no error codes were saved when they scanned the memory?  Dealer gave me a loaner so they could keep the car overnigt and see if it fails for them.  It's intermittent, so I figure it won't do it for them today.

Will advise if they have any solution.

Results - dealer was advised by Ford HQ to reset the memory and see if that takes care of the issue.  Kind of like Windows, when in doubt, re-boot.

Will see if it fixes the issue over time

I jumped through all the reset hoops before they finally replaced the part. So far the light has not returned. I had a variation of "Check Fuel Filler Inlet", "Check Engine", and a mix of both.

My SEL did not start 4 days ago. The check engine light was on, as well as an error message that said"rear parking aid failure". The dealer has had the car for 3 days, and said nothing wrong can be found after multiple diagnostic tests. I am not sure if that is good news or bad.

Today I too got the Check Engine Light MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light).  I have an OBD-II reader, and it read P0456 Evap System Leak, very small.  I see from Darrelld's receipt in his post above that the dealer read this same code from his issue as well, so I'll probably be taking it in when it returns.  The MIL light could be from bad gas according to our owner's manual, so I refilled it today at a different station (although the fuel in the car was from Exxon, and today's refill was from Shell, both pretty good gas, I think).  This specific P0456 code could also be caused by a bad/improperly installed gas cap, according to the internet, so I also reset the capless gas flap with the funnel.  I then used my code reader to clear the code, and of course it went away.  If it stays away long term, great.  If it returns, I'll be in for the fix that darrelld got, I guess.  I have 3K miles on it, owned it since Thanksgiving. 

PS:   I got the "check fuel filler inlet" a week or so after I got the car, and it went away on its own back then when I reset the capless flap.

Just used the funnel, located in the hidden area under the hatch in the rear cargo compartment, and pushed it in the fuel inlet and then removed it, simulating a fuel nozzle insert/remove.  Probably a better word would have been "reseated".  Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by JohnTrigger

Count another Cmax with a random check engine light - 988 miles. I filled up for the first time earlier this week (it's an energi). I have tried the funnel in the tank trick and am hoping the light will go out soon. If not, we'll have an unscheduled service this coming week. I'll post our outcome. 

Mine came on again, as I suspected it would.  The first time I reset it with my OBDII reader, and it had a P0456 (small evap leak) code.  It happened again this past Weds, same check engine MIL and P0456 code, so I took it in on Thur and they replaced the purge valve in one day, and I have it back already.  They used a purge valve with a model number ending in B, but there might be some evidence in this thread that a new version, rev D, exists.  We'll see if mine comes back.

Mine came on again, as I suspected it would.  The first time I reset it with my OBDII reader, and it had a P0456 (small evap leak) code.  It happened again this past Weds, same check engine MIL and P0456 code, so I took it in on Thur and they replaced the purge valve in one day, and I have it back already.  They used a purge valve with a model number ending in B, but there might be some evidence in this thread that a new version, rev D, exists.  We'll see if mine comes back.

Just wondering if this (description above) resolved the problem for you? My C Max had the check fuel inlet etc. light come on at 900 miles, dealer service did a reset, two days ago the service/check engine light came on and it's at the dealer's literally now. I am doubtful that they'll be able to get a correct code/diagnosis reading because of the newness of the defective part(s).

Just curious as to whether the new purge valve really solved the problem.

P.S. Would have sent you a private email, however since I am new to this forum and haven't logged 10 posts yet, the forum wouldn't let me.

Energi owners:  From other plug-in forums, I've seen you can get a CEL simply due to charging issues like a ground fault, low voltage, a temporary drop or surge in line voltage, lightning strike, etc.  Takes a few power cycles (along with no repeat charging issues) and the CEL will clear itself.  

A couple of years ago, I finally got an OBDII reader to read and clear codes.  That, along with google and forum searches, can save a trip to the dealer and undue worry.

Edited by C-MAXER

Just wondering if this (description above) resolved the problem for you? My C Max had the check fuel inlet etc. light come on at 900 miles, dealer service did a reset, two days ago the service/check engine light came on and it's at the dealer's literally now. I am doubtful that they'll be able to get a correct code/diagnosis reading because of the newness of the defective part(s).

P.S. Would have sent you a private email, however since I am new to this forum and haven't logged 10 posts yet, the forum wouldn't let me.

My dealer after calling Ford is waiting on an overnight shipment of a canister purge valve. Ford noted in its conversation with my dealer that this part has generally been a problem for new Fusion hybrids and C Maxes and that new versions of the part have had to be manufactured by Ford's suppliers.

Will keep everyone here posted on whether this, in the long term, solves the problem.

Edited by hayesdt

Sorry, I haven't been on here lately because I am not at home.   So far it has, but I also think it is too early to tell, I've only driven it a couple of times since, and not for very many miles, since the fix was performed