Check Engine Light

ctford

My Check Engine Light has not returned since this dealer replace part was installed.

I'm glad to hear that.  I appreciate you posting this info earlier in this thread.  Based on your experience and my identical P0456 code, I knew I too needed a new purge valve.  My dealership installed one with a model number ending in B, whereas your's used one ending in D.  I suspect you have a new part, and mine was "fixed" (for now) with an older part, so I suspect my problem will resurface in due time.  Tijme will tell.

• 3 months later...

You can add me to the list of "Check Fuel Inlet" and check engine light victims. Last week, at around 9800 miles and with the tank about 3/4 full, I got the check fuel inlet warning. I checked, I tried using the funnel to re-seat the inner seal/flap thing. The warning stayed so I took it to the dealer. They reset something and it went away. Tonight, at close to 10000 miles and with the tank a little less than 1/2 full, the check engine light came on. I'm taking it in tomorrow for diagnosis.

Hi all!

Been lurking since February when I got my C-Max.

I received the check engine light on Saturday with 3,659 miles on my car. Made an appointment with the dealer and brought her in on Monday. About an hour and a half later they told be in was a "loose pin fit in connector"  So left with my check engine light off.

This morning the check engine light was back on  :drop:

I have another appointment on Wednesday morning. I will let you know the out come.

Here is the update:

Brought my car in yesterday morning and they had it in the service department for almost two hours. The findings were that there was debris found in the gas cap... Apparently there are two flaps in the neck of the gas tank. The second or inner flap had some kind of leaf or something caught in it causing the system to think there was a leak. That seems a little strange to me. But the light is off and hopefully will remain that way.

I had the check engine light last week.  Turned out to be a vapor management valve. Took 2 days to get the part and replace it.

Interestingly enough there was an item on the invoice that stated they tried to install a recall part but it wasn't available. "11329 recall parts are not available yet" is what the invoice says.  The parts department gave me a vague answer as to what the part is. I know there is a child lock recall for some of the early models - might be this. I'll be following up with the dealership to find out what it is.

• 2 months later...

A couple of weeks after I got my C-Max the engine light came on and the dealer said it was the fuel filler system and it would need to be replaced.  It took a little over a week to get the part.  They said it came in a box almost as large as the car - it took them just shy of 3 hours to R&R the part(s) and the light was out.

1,500 miles later the light is now on again.  I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they know about the purge valve issue that is posted a number of times earlier in this string.  I'll let you know what I find out.

The car is only 3 months old and it's been in the dealer 3 times already and I've waited in customer lounges for 7 hours in total while it has been repaired.  Not a very good record for the first 4,000 miles.  Drove our Toyota Prius for 55,000 miles and it was never in the dealership except for preventative maintenance.

But other than that, I love the car.

A couple of weeks after I got my C-Max the engine light came on and the dealer said it was the fuel filler system and it would need to be replaced.  It took a little over a week to get the part.  They said it came in a box almost as large as the car - it took them just shy of 3 hours to R&R the part(s) and the light was out.

1,500 miles later the light is now on again.  I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they know about the purge valve issue that is posted a number of times earlier in this string.  I'll let you know what I find out.

The car is only 3 months old and it's been in the dealer 3 times already and I've waited in customer lounges for 7 hours in total while it has been repaired.  Not a very good record for the first 4,000 miles.  Drove our Toyota Prius for 55,000 miles and it was never in the dealership except for preventative maintenance.

But other than that, I love the car.

Don't blame the car for the dealers inability to properly repair it. 

Most dealer techs are parts changers and they have a high guess rate.

Edited by drdiesel1

Literally Day One with my new 2013 C-Max, less than 200 miles and the check engine light has turned on. What is up with this vehicle? It's not "blinking", so, according to the manual it's not urgent? Lists some possible causes, of which, only the fuel filler door seems likely. Manual says it may clear itself after 3 cold starts. We'll see. Should I be worried? Is this a sign of things to come with this vehicle? Not a good first hybrid experience thus far...

I had the same random Check Engine light when starting normally.  After three times, I took to the dealer, this was when the car was a month old.  They did some kind of reset, and it sems to have gone away.

I did post an inquiry with Ford on this when it happened.  Interestingly, have had a dialog with a Ford Engineering support person, asking for very specific details aout how I start the cmax, when it appeared, how it was resolved, and if it still occurs.  3-4 emails back and forth to assess if it still is an issue.

I am at least grateful they are staying on top of any issues.

Mine came on too. Read the same advice from the manual  - wait for it to clear - and it did. Granted, it cleared shortly after a fuel stop, so I suspect something akin to Shane's leaf.

While I can't speak to the first 5.6K miles, the car has yet to see a dealer at 10.3K (scheduled next week).

Have fun,

Frank

I'm considering taking the little plastic filler nozzle they supply and just poking it in and out of the filler hole a couple of times. Maybe that will "fix" it.  Worth noting that when I test-drove the vehicle on Saturday, the tank was nearly empty.  The dealer provided it to me on Monday with a full tank.  Service light came on the very next day.  Hmmm....  Coincidence?

I'm considering taking the little plastic filler nozzle they supply and just poking it in and out of the filler hole a couple of times. Maybe that will "fix" it.  Worth noting that when I test-drove the vehicle on Saturday, the tank was nearly empty.  The dealer provided it to me on Monday with a full tank.  Service light came on the very next day.  Hmmm....  Coincidence?

Without knowing what DTC the system is reporting, you can guess and futz with the car all day and get nowhere.  You need to know what code is stored before you can assume what the problem might be. The PCM will store a code based on what it's reading from input data.  That will tell you what system has an issue and you'll need to diagnose it from there.

Guessing won't do anything and could cause you to set a false code. By opening the seal on the fuel filler neck, you'll cause the fuel tank pressure sensor to see the pressure change that shouldn't be taking place and it could very well set a code that the dealer can't duplicate. Then they'll keep the car for testing and waste more time on something you caused.  Keeping your car for longer than needed. 

Just keep tinkering with it. When they keep it for a month and can't find anything wrong, you can complain about it to Ford. 

Stop monkeying around with something you don't understand.

Edited by drdiesel1

Without knowing what DTC the system is reporting, you can guess and futz with the car all day and get nowhere.  You need to know what code is stored before you can assume what the problem might be. The PCM will store a code based on what it's reading from input data.  That will tell you what system has an issue and you'll need to diagnose it from there.

Guessing won't do anything and could cause you to set a false code. By opening the seal on the fuel filler neck, you'll cause the fuel tank pressure sensor to see the pressure change that shouldn't be taking place and it could very well set a code that the dealer can't duplicate. Then they'll keep the car for testing and waste more time on something you caused.  Keeping your car for longer than needed. 

Just keep tinkering with it. When they keep it for a month and can't find anything wrong, you can complain about it to Ford. 

Wow! 

Looks like I am joining the ranks of the "purge valve" replacement group.  One would think there'd be a recall notice, or at least a TSB out there for this problem.  It seems to happen quite a bit.  Even if it is just a bad batch of valves from whatever supplier they get them from, you'd think they could narrow it down by now and take some sort of preemptive measures.  In any case, hoping this resolves the issue.  Am seeing around 45mpg combined thus far.  Perhaps even that will improve somewhat with the replacement valve, who knows.

Andrew I bet you are right about it being related to the fill up.  My husband generally fuels our C-Max and is very careful to put the nozzle in slowly and then takes it out very slowly.  So far so good and we are nearly a year into owning our C-Max.

Wow! 

I see you too enjoy the guessing games and have problems when someone talks straight/directly about things. 

If you can't handle the truth, please don't respond to my post. Better yet, just ignore them and you'll be a happier camper. Thanks!

Happy Motoring!

Edited by drdiesel1

Doc, I trust you're looking in the mirror as you say that...

Yep!  I don't call the kettle black.  I sure don't assume I know it all, but not knowing anything about this cars systems and playing with it's sensors, switches, and controlled actuators is crazy.  Would you open the back of your electrical panel to access the direct power buss and poke around with a screwdriver because the light in the fridge isn't working ?

Then when you get electrocuted, sue the power company and complain about how problematic their product is ?

Edited by drdiesel1

There's a difference between knowledgable and rude, which you may want to explore...

It's not meant to be rude!  It's meant to be direct... To the POINT  No sugar coating for those that for whatever reason need to have it sweetened  There is a difference, you might like to explore it yourself.  Thanks for your input, but being direct is easiest. No need to wonder what I'm saying or what I mean.......... ;)

Edited by drdiesel1

Literally Day One with my new 2013 C-Max, less than 200 miles and the check engine light has turned on. What is up with this vehicle? It's not "blinking", so, according to the manual it's not urgent? Lists some possible causes, of which, only the fuel filler door seems likely. Manual says it may clear itself after 3 cold starts. We'll see. Should I be worried? Is this a sign of things to come with this vehicle? Not a good first hybrid experience thus far...

From the owners manual

"When the service engine soon indicator illuminates, the OBD-II

system has detected a malfunction. Temporary malfunctions

may cause the service engine soon indicator to illuminate.

Examples are:

1. The vehicle has run out of fuel—the engine may misfire or run poorly.

2. Poor fuel quality or water in the fuel—the engine may misfire or run

poorly.

3. The fuel fill inlet may not have been properly closed. See Easy Fuel

No Cap Fuel System in this chapter."