A/C and mileage in hot climates (Florida)

tishpit

I currently drive a 2014 Chevy Spark and am getting really irritated by ongoing driveability problems (hesitation, lurching at slow speed, RPM's revving high between 35 - 45 MPH with no change in performance) and a really weak a/c system.  Problems on this car appear to relate to outdoor temperature, as driving in the fall/winter was much better.  I drive a lot (avg. 2,000/month). Chevy dealerships service in my area are all pretty lousy, though I am trying another one this week to fix ongoing and new problem with possibly suspension.  It only has 22,000 miles.  

So... considering taking the $$$ hit and going with a C-Max hybrid (not Engeri).  I live in south Florida where much of the year is hot and humid.  I've read that mileage suffers with the C-Max in cold weather.  How does it fare in HOT weather (like 90 degrees plus)?  How much does using the a/c affect MPG?  Any other issues with the car in hot, humid weather?  Trying to decide if it's the "right" vehicle for me?

I drive a mix of city and suburban roads with some highway (about 3x month on I-75 at about 60 - 73 mph). Car is often kept outside in sun and heat.  

ALSO... anyone with the panoramic roof... how effective is the shade at keeping out heat during day?  I love a convertible, like a sunroof, but think the pan. roof may be a good compromise in allowing views of starry nights and during cloudy, rainy days without getting wet or outrageous wind noise experienced in an open sunroof.  Anyone in Florida or similar climate with this type of roof.... comments?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

I live in Miami Beach, so I understand your pain. I keep my condo at about 68F, so I consider myself an air conditioner-aholic. You will be very happy with your C-MAX with the Panoramic Roof. :love_shower:

I have about 18,000 miles on my C-MAX. My lifetime average is 49.4 MPG. During winter, I get 60+ MPG without the air conditioner turned on. During summer, I get about 50 MPG while using the air conditioner. I do almost all city driving, with average speeds of about 35 MPH. If you do a lot of driving above 55 MPH, you will get less than this, but not terribly less. The reason that I have a lifetime number that is on the lower end of this scale is because I also make long highway trips, such as my trip last summer to New England and back, and I also go to the mountains in North Carolina.

I have the Panoramic Roof, and I love it. The shade works well. I definitely suggest getting the Roof. It really makes the interior seem even bigger than it already is.

You will absolutely want to get tinting added to your windows. The Pano Roof already has it, and I hear that it is suggested not to get it added to the Roof, and that most places will not do it for you, even if you want to add it to the Roof.

If you park out in the heat of the sun, one of the great things that you can do with the C-MAX is to use the key fob to open the windows by holding down the open button for a few seconds as you approach your parked car. Then, you start your drive with the open windows for a block or so, which blows the hottest air out of the interior cabin. By then, the air from the air conditioner starts to make a difference already. BTW, the air conditioner in the C-MAX is fantastic, and it cools really well and pretty quickly. If you want, you can even use your key fob to start the car and get the air conditioner to start cooling it down, but that will start to cut into your fuel economy.

Some people also get a shade for the front window. I don't bother with that, because I don't want the hassle of folding it up and putting it inside with me while I am driving.

One last thing: Color makes a difference. I went with Oxford White. One of the great things about going with this instead of the upgraded white color is that it doesn't have a clear coat. If you get a scratch, you can touch it up without it looking different than the surrounding paint. If you have a big enough scratch that you want to get the work done professionally, it will cost less. Speaking of color, I got the light color seats. This also helps.

You will be very happy with choices like these.

I currently drive a 2014 Chevy Spark and am getting really irritated by ongoing driveability problems (hesitation, lurching at slow speed, RPM's revving high between 35 - 45 MPH with no change in performance) and a really weak a/c system.  Problems on this car appear to relate to outdoor temperature, as driving in the fall/winter was much better.  I drive a lot (avg. 2,000/month). Chevy dealerships service in my area are all pretty lousy, though I am trying another one this week to fix ongoing and new problem with possibly suspension.  It only has 22,000 miles.  

So... considering taking the $$$ hit and going with a C-Max hybrid (not Engeri).  I live in south Florida where much of the year is hot and humid.  I've read that mileage suffers with the C-Max in cold weather.  How does it fare in HOT weather (like 90 degrees plus)?  How much does using the a/c affect MPG?  Any other issues with the car in hot, humid weather?  Trying to decide if it's the "right" vehicle for me?

I drive a mix of city and suburban roads with some highway (about 3x month on I-75 at about 60 - 73 mph). Car is often kept outside in sun and heat.  

ALSO... anyone with the panoramic roof... how effective is the shade at keeping out heat during day?  I love a convertible, like a sunroof, but think the pan. roof may be a good compromise in allowing views of starry nights and during cloudy, rainy days without getting wet or outrageous wind noise experienced in an open sunroof.  Anyone in Florida or similar climate with this type of roof.... comments?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Are you driving mostly highway, or is it all in town? You would do better with a VW Jetta diesel if you are doing mostly highway. For in-town, the hybrid would be much better. That is, assuming you don't mind a diesel. We have the larger Passat TDI for our trips, and it gets around 43 MPG vs, around 37 from the C-Max  at the same speeds.

I'm smiling to myself remembering when I asked one of my dealership's salesmen Ivan (apparently the "hybrid expert") if the Pano roof opened.  He starts looking around by the window visors.  "I think so....... maybe there's a button on the dash or something".   

I bought from the dealership inventory and initially thought it was a bit of a drag that the roof was glued on, but then I grew to like it.  It's great for the rear passengers to look out when driving around the city at night.  As ScubaDad wrote, it makes the interior much more spacious in feeling.  The shade cloth is a bit flimsy but it shouldn't be too hard to replace it, many moons later.  I'll probably use a "greenhouse" shade cloth.

Haven't noticed the interior getting unusually hot, even with our black car.  I usually leave the two front windows open an inch when parked out in the summer sun.

A/C is first class.

One last thing: Color makes a difference. I went with Oxford White. One of the great things about going with this instead of the upgraded white color is that it doesn't have a clear coat. If you get a scratch, you can touch it up without it looking different than the surrounding paint. 

Regarding clearcoat, I've seen this mentioned more than once on this forum.  As far as I know, all C-Max colors and pretty much all cars made in the past 20+ years have a clear coat finish.  They stopped using single stage paints many many moons ago.

Regarding clearcoat, I've seen this mentioned more than once on this forum.  As far as I know, all C-Max colors and pretty much all cars made in the past 20+ years have a clear coat finish.  They stopped using single stage paints many many moons ago.

I suspect that two terms are being confused. What most people here seem to be talking about is that the Oxford White does not have a Pearl finish, rather than the clearcoat. It is the Pearl that makes paint matching so difficult, and impossible to do with touch up paint.

Yup.  If you need to touch up the paint, it's gone thru the clear coat.  If you really want the touch up to last, you'll need to re-apply clear coat over it.  

I think SDM is confusing his color with metallic or pearl colors which sometimes need two base colors plus the clear if you want to do things right.

I will add my two cents since I live in Florida and have the Pano Roof. My Wife was used to having an opening sunroof so she was at first

concerned about that but now that we have had the car for about 9 months she doesn't really miss it any more.

I think it would be nice if they had the option of a power shade for the front window as well. We opted for a couple of Walmart sunshades

that fit the window fairly well and are easy to fold away and store between the front seats.

As far as the mileage, my Wife manages to average around 44 mpg and she runs the A/C just about all of the time!!!

...considering taking the $$$ hit and going with a C-Max hybrid (not Engeri).  I live in south Florida where much of the year is hot and humid. ...

As long as you have access to a charging station, the Energi will cool down before you get in it, using electrons instead of gasoline. Same with warming in winter (it gets cold up here). Seems like another great advantage to the plug-in, the only downside I see being trunk space. Granted, that can be a big downside... and you may not have access to a charging station.

Have fun,

Frank

I've never understood the fascination with sun roofs -- had one early on in my youth and it was a big PITA (but it also opened up -- just like with a house, the last thing you want is to introduce any opening in something that's designed to keep the elements from hitting your head).

But even leaving it closed I NEVER pulled the shade -- of course, I also lived in a hot climate (Nevada) and I would think the same would be true in Florida.  While there are a few weeks out of the year when it would be pleasant to have, say, a convertible, most of the time you just want something to shade your head or you will suffer heat stroke.

But... maybe it's an age thing.  At my age I can't see it, but kids DO love their convertibles and, I guess, sun roofs.  Enjoy it while you can <g>.

Kelley, I think you need to look around a bit more while you're driving. I'm SURE I regularly see retirees here in Florida in their convertibles. I don't think it's just a thing for the young.  :)

I have a 10yr old convertible that I enjoy driving on nice days. I completely agree that there is such a thing as 'too hot for the top down', but that's close to 90 degrees or so. 

I'm seriously considering having a sunroof added to my C-Max. I don't think it would affect mileage much, if at all (when closed that is, opened I'd expect to loose about 10% or so). My main concern are the mics in the headliner for the active noise cancelling. I talked to the shop recommended by my Ford dealer, when I asked about those he said something along the lines of 'gee, I dunno, we've never had to deal with those before'. Really? Never? On any car that you've ever worked on? I know the C-Max is not the first car that has these - I'll have to some shopping around to find someone who has a better answer to that question.

ALSO... anyone with the panoramic roof... how effective is the shade at keeping out heat during day?

not very

We get a fair amount of sun here in LA. I keep mine closed during the day. I think the shade does a pretty good job, and I believe the roof is the only window tinted at the factory. There is a lot of glass on the sides of the car, and that is going to let in the heat.

I got the pano because it was on both the cars with the color I wanted. I often open it up in the morning and evening, or when cruising on a trip (the kids like it open). It really opens up the car. Also, with the pano roof, the lights are in a different position than the normal C-Max (from what I've read), and more convenient to reach.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your responses!  We are on the fence now and will be making a decision tomorrow on a new car.  The C-Max is one of the two we are considering.  The other is a Scion Xb.... yes, I know there is a HUGE different in MPG.  But other factors are playing a role, including price, room, long-term reliability, ease of servicing, and True Cost to Own.  Some things we like better in the C-Max, some things better in the Scion.  So the "discussion" is continuing, possibly right through the night!!!

• 2 weeks later...

But I think the tradeoff is that you lose the sunglass compartment, no?

There's still a sunglass compartment.  I gave up trying to put my sunglasses in there without scratching them up.  I find it pretty much useless for it's intended purpose and haven't figured out what to use it for yet.

Thank you for all your responses!  We are on the fence now and will be making a decision tomorrow on a new car.  The C-Max is one of the two we are considering.  The other is a Scion Xb.... yes, I know there is a HUGE different in MPG.  But other factors are playing a role, including price, room, long-term reliability, ease of servicing, and True Cost to Own.  Some things we like better in the C-Max, some things better in the Scion.  So the "discussion" is continuing, possibly right through the night!!!

Interesting.  I had a Scion xB and sold it to get the C-Max.  They are very different cars.  Mine was the 1st gen xB.  It was a great car and served me well for 135K miles.  It had it share of issues under warranty but overall a great fun car.  I was not a fan of gen 2 but I am sure it is a good car too. 

I like the C-Max a lot too but for different reasons.  The C-Max feels like a heavier beefier quieter car that would hold up better in a crash.  The xB was more fun taking turns as it felt tighter.  I did upgrade the springs on the xB so that is part of it. 

There's still a sunglass compartment.  I gave up trying to put my sunglasses in there without scratching them up.  I find it pretty much useless for it's intended purpose and haven't figured out what to use it for yet.

I use mine for pen/pencils.  I find it a great place to keep them and always know where to find it.  No more looking in the back of the glovebox.  

But I think the tradeoff is that you lose the sunglass compartment, no?

Not true! The sunglasses compartment is still there.

We have an SE (without Homelink buttons, standard on SEL models), so we use that compartment for the garage door remote.  Removed the remote metal clip and trimmed some dense plastic packing foam to keep the remote centered and in position.

Actually, my sunglasses fit just fine in there (and they cost several hundred dollars, so I am careful with them).  But... they are magnetic sunglass "clips" that fit on my normal prescription glasses.

I suspect that compartment is too small for most normal sunglasses (but it's exactly right for me :>)