Sync (non-touch) update on owner.ford.com site

So I logged in recently and up on a page popped info about a new update. I downloaded the update as a zipped file called "Gen1v441buildEE309Fupdatefromv430FpackageRev2" and ran thru a few other pages on how to actually install the update, but the Ford site's "How to install SYNC Software Updates" page and email don't describe the exact steps on how to update a non-touch version of Sync, or if it's even possible to update. I put everything on a 4Gb empty thumb drive, plug it in, etc, but all the steps are for the Navigation version of Sync and not the non-touch version I have. 

Anyone know if I can even install the update, or do I need to take it to a dealer and let them do it?

Hi RobMax, 

Before we get to the in-vehicle portion of the install, did you unzip the file and put it onto a USB flash drive? After you do that, you'll want to take the flash drive to your car, plug it into the USB port, and then manually start the install by pressing the following buttons: 

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to INSTALL APPS > OK 

Give that a try and let me know how it goes. :) 

Rebecca

Hi RobMax, 

Before we get to the in-vehicle portion of the install, did you unzip the file and put it onto a USB flash drive? After you do that, you'll want to take the flash drive to your car, plug it into the USB port, and then manually start the install by pressing the following buttons: 

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to INSTALL APPS > OK 

Give that a try and let me know how it goes. :) 

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca. I followed everything up to and including plugging the otherwise empty (except for the software update I downloaded and unzipped) thumb drive into my usb port. However, the online (and emailed) instructions are only for the Sync with voice activated Nav units, not my plain old Sync, so I hit a wall trying to figure out next steps. I'll try your steps above when I can and update the thread. 

Looks like that worked. Surprising considering it was such a large folder of files, though I suppose it used only certain files from the folder for my particular basic system. I wish the Ford Owners site had clearly mentioned these steps somewhere. Thanks, Rebecca!