Cracked Windshield - Bluetooth or non Bluetooth replacement

Chodatus

Hi,

Stone chip made a crack line in my windshield now I need it replaced. I'm getting a quotes for a more expensive Bluetooth compatible Windshield vs Non-Bluetooth compatible(might be signal loss/static)

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth the extra $100? I mainly play podcast and music through bluetooth.

I get that the rain sensing wipers would have to be accounted for but never heard about bluetooth being affected by the windshield.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

As much as I hate our high B.C. insurance rates, we maxed out with comprehensive to avoid this kind of thing.  I'm guessing a cash job to do that windshield is around $1000?

OUCH

We have "glass breakage" only costs a few $'s a year NO deductible.

We've used it twice in the last 18 months to repair chips.

Chip repair cost $40 without glass breakage, 0 with.

As much as I hate our high B.C. insurance rates, we maxed out with comprehensive to avoid this kind of thing.  I'm guessing a cash job to do that windshield is around $1000?

$399 installed with OEM replacement out of pocket. I maxed out comprehensive too to avoid high premiums. Speedy wanted $600

$399 installed with OEM replacement out of pocket. I maxed out comprehensive too to avoid high premiums. Speedy wanted $600

Usually full glass replacement is a inexpensive adder.  My $100 comprehensive deductible is $52 a year for the C-Max and includes full glass coverage (no deductible on glass).  Increasing the deductible to $1000 with no glass coverage except windshield chip repair would only save about $40 a year.   IMO, $40 a year for full glass coverage on the C-Max is a no-brainer as the cash price for the C-Max windshield was slightly over $400 when Safelite (see numbers in link) replaced my windshield over a year ago under my $100 comprehensive. 

Sorry, I was probably not clear---by "maxed out"  I mean that we got full coverage with comprehensive and collision ($300 deductable on each).  

You Yanks are lucky.  I think my yearly insurance is about $2200 - and that is AFTER 40% safe driving discount.  We are forced to buy from the government-run insurance corporation up here.

Hi,

Stone chip made a crack line in my windshield now I need it replaced. I'm getting a quotes for a more expensive Bluetooth compatible Windshield vs Non-Bluetooth compatible(might be signal loss/static)

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth the extra $100? I mainly play podcast and music through bluetooth.

I get that the rain sensing wipers would have to be accounted for but never heard about bluetooth being affected by the windshield.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Huh never heard of a bluetooth friendly windshield, sorry can't help you.

Sorry, after more phone calls I think what they mean is the sound deadening windshield for clearer phone calls through your bluetooth.

Still sounds like snake oil to me.  So a "normal" windshield lets in more noise to the interior?  I call BS -- the C-Max has a very quiet interior and in no way is it related to the windshield. 

I'd call a few other places -- hell, I'd talk to the dealership -- and make them give you what's installed on the C-Max originally (which makes the interior VERY quiet, for phone calls and playing music and just in general).

Still sounds like snake oil to me.  So a "normal" windshield lets in more noise to the interior?  I call BS -- the C-Max has a very quiet interior and in no way is it related to the windshield. 

I'd call a few other places -- hell, I'd talk to the dealership -- and make them give you what's installed on the C-Max originally (which makes the interior VERY quiet, for phone calls and playing music and just in general).

More importantly, the windshield for the Cmax probably only fits Cmax cars, but the Cmax does not come with a radio that does not have bluetooth. All radios in the Cmax have bluetooth. So why would there be a non-bluetooth option on a window for a car that only comes with bluetooth? That's like making a non-rear-defroster window for a car that has a rear window defroster on all trim models.

Edited by SPL Tech

Usually full glass replacement is a inexpensive adder.  My $100 comprehensive deductible is $52 a year for the C-Max and includes full glass coverage (no deductible on glass).  Increasing the deductible to $1000 with no glass coverage except windshield chip repair would only save about $40 a year.   IMO, $40 a year for full glass coverage on the C-Max is a no-brainer as the cash price for the C-Max windshield was slightly over $400 when Safelite (see numbers in link) replaced my windshield over a year ago under my $100 comprehensive. 

Yea I wish insurance in Canada was as cheap and with more options like the States but sadly my windshield falls under comprehensive with I keep at $1000 deductible to save on my premium. I pay $1200/year and decline any options that aren't deemed mandatory. Stone chip repairs are free though...

Still sounds like snake oil to me.  So a "normal" windshield lets in more noise to the interior?  I call BS -- the C-Max has a very quiet interior and in no way is it related to the windshield. ...

Ford would beg to differ... the technology is sound (pardon the pun); sandwiching a viscous layer between stiffer layers is a well known isolation approach known as "constrained layer damping." I use it when building loudspeakers, to reduce the box radiation in favor of that from the acoustic drivers. 

Frank

From the 2013 sales brochure (emphasis added):

Interior

12-volt powerpoints (3)

110-volt power outlet

Active noise cancellation

Acoustic-laminate windshield

And from the 2015 sales brochure (different layout, fewer pages... and emphasis added)

Interior

12-volt powerpoints (2)

110-volt power outlet

Acoustic-laminate windshield

Active noise cancellation

Right, but the point is there is no "normal" windshield.  There is the C-Max windshield and there is... whatever that glass company is trying to sell him in place of it.

IOW, I don't think any of us have the non-laminate windshield (and as someone else here put it, it's unlikely to fit any other car other than ours, so no substitutes).

North Central Cali rainy season this year was about 2 inches worth where I live, hardly worth the effort of the blades turning themselves on to strip away the rain.

It is not just turning themselves on. When a car passes me and splashes the windshield, the wipers automatically go to maximum. The wiper speed changes depending on how much rain (or thrown water) is hitting the windshield.

• 4 weeks later...

The Acoustic Windshield thing actually does sound like a real thing: Ford made a big deal about their Laminated Acoustic Glass a few years back, as part of their push to be an industry leader in NVH. 

Some googling points towards Carlite SoundScreen II as the OEM trade name. 

It doesn't sound like they've talked about it much recently - I would guess it's become so standard that it's too old-hat to brag about. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

The Acoustic Windshield thing actually does sound like a real thing: Ford made a big deal about their Laminated Acoustic Glass a few years back, as part of their push to be an industry leader in NVH. 

Some googling points towards Carlite SoundScreen II as the OEM trade name. 

It doesn't sound like they've talked about it much recently - I would guess it's become so standard that it's too old-hat to brag about. 

I decided to look for a bit more information and found this. Anyone know why the 2015 C-Max Hybrid SEL has a different front windshield than the 2013-14 C-Max SEL? Particularly since the SE has the same windshield for all three years.