OBD: Tire Pressure & Oil Life

jdbob

I've got some custom PID information for TPMS readings and Oil Life remaining percentage. Tested using OBD Fusion (OF) on an iPad, I've included what I think the values for Torque Pro (TP) should be.

OF Mod. TP Hdr. Mode PID   Name            Min Max Unit  Formula    Past Decimal

7E8     7E0      22  054B  Oil Life         0  100  %    A              0

72E     726      22  2813  Left Front       0   60 PSI   (A*256+B)/20   1

72E     726      22  2814  Right Front      0   60 PSI   (A*256+B)/20   1

72E     726      22  2815  Right Rear       0   60 PSI   (A*256+B)/20   1

72E     726      22  2816  Left Rear        0   60 PSI   (A*256+B)/20   1

ScanGauge codes provided by TOM_NC_1

Oil Life Remaining in %.

TXD: 07E022054B RXF:

04620505064B

RXD: 3008

MTH: 000100010000

NAM: OLR

Left Front Tire Units:PSI

TXD: 0726222813

RXF: 046285280613

RXD: 3010

MTH: 000100020000

NAM: PS1

Right Front Tire Units:PSI 

TXD: 0726222814 

RXF: 046285280614 

NAM: PS2

Right Rear Tire Units:PSI 

TXD: 0726222815 

RXF: 046285280615 

NAM: PS3

Left Rear Tire Units:PSI 

TXD: 0726222816 

RXF: 046285280616 

NAM: PS4

TPMSOL.jpg

Edited by jdbob

Very nice.  When your battery reads 13.3V, is your car on or off? My car reads about 12.5V when it's off and 14.2-14.5V when on.  I do occasionally get "Battery low, audio off" message when I'm using the radio while car is off.  However, the voltage still reads 12.5V

Edited by cmax-nynj

I entered the PIDs into Torque Pro. Oil Life produced a result, but tire pressures showed "no data".

Make sure you put in 726 for the OBD Header (shown above as TP Hdr.) for the pressure PIDs.  It should work then.   It's nice now to just monitor tire pressure with a smartpnone instead of using a pressure gauge every few weeks or so.

Thanks, jdbob. :)

med_gallery_167_32_546885.jpg

I saw one on youtube (just search). That's what I did to find out how to enter custom PIDs.  It requires several steps to get to the PID data entry screen.  The PID data is entered into the form that's accessed by pushing the menu gear /wheel in lower left, settings, manage extra PIDs, menu options in the upper right (three vertical dots), add custom PIDs, OK, and then entering PID data into the form,  You can then cancel, accept, or test the PID.

You then have the custom PID in the list of available PIDs to monitor. Setting up a new gauge is done by entering the Real time info screens.

Then you can add a new gauge by touching (and holding) finger on a screen to bring up the add display option.  

Hi

Not a real car guy. Where do you get this kind of display and what is the cost. Do you have to be an electrical wiz?

Thanks!

What, no one willing to help the new guy?

There are several ways to access the OBDII port in your car. There are two ports in the car; most folks find what they need from the one under the panel in front of your left knee. You're looking for a port that plugs into devices like these.

There are two popular ways to access onboard diagnostics (OBD),

- a hardwired device called a "Scangauge" which includes a data display

- a plug-in module that may have a USB (hardwired), or Bluetooth/Ethernet wireless connection to a PC or smartphone. 

From there, options multiply. I use a plug-in BT module (of the correct type to access Ford OBDII codes), and an Android app called Torque. It natively gives basic information, but with a little programming (what's mostly discussed here), it has access to anything Ford's diagnostics measure.

And that's as far as I'll take you, because I haven't done the deep dive some posters have, and would prefer not to mislead you in my ignorance.

HAve fun,

Frank

Hi

Not a real car guy. Where do you get this kind of display and what is the cost. Do you have to be an electrical wiz?

Thanks!

To add to what fbov said, I would not purchase a ScanGauge (very expensive for what you get) to access OBDII data.  

Do you have a SmartPhone, Tablet, or Laptop (something portable)?  If yes, what is the operating system version?

Depending on the device you have, there are several APPS that can be downloaded to the device based on its operating system,  IMO, you want an APP that allows the user to enter custom Parameter IDs (PIDs) which are codes used to request data from a vehicle like the tire pressure data discussed here. Some APPS are free while others can be purchased for a nominal cost (usually less than $20).

Then depending on the APP one selects, one needs to buy an interface module which is either a BlueTooth or WiFi wireless module that plugs into the OBDII port on your vehicle so that the APP can communicate with the vehicle.  These modules are usually available on Ebay or Amazon for less that $30.

I've purchased both a BlueTooth and WiFi module (less than $40 total).  I have Torque Pro ($4.95), FORscan (free), EngineLink ($5.95), and DashCommand ($9.95).  So, I can use my IPad, Android SmartPhone, or Windows Laptop to monitor and collect data.

You don't have to be an electrical wiz.  You simply need to be able to follow instructions which for the most part is easy and you can probably find youtube how to videos or go to the APP forums for help.

Plus 3 Golfer,

Thanks for the tip. With the various custom PIDs I've entered, all worked with nothing other than the formula. Of course, I still had to remember my tire rotation sequence. Haha. Me, remember. Good getting-started tips in the thread to help others get on board.

David

Thx for the replies.  I will look at YouTube and I also want to check out the other apps that Plus 3 Golfer listed.

Just bought a wireless charging system for my Note 3.  I would love to somehow mount that in the car for charging while I drive.  I think I would more likely to use the phone with Torque more often if I knew it was not draining my battery when I used it.   

Also glad to see that we can monitor the actual tire pressure.  I thought the sensors were just a go/no go switch.  My Chevy truck shows the pressure and I do like that. 

Thx again

I have a SGII from my 2008 FEH, but I've not plugged it in yet. And I may not, although I like the idea of monitoring the tire pressures. I don't hypermile enough to warrant plugging it in for normal use. On the FEH there wasn't enough information provided by the system. I am comfortable with the level of information the C-Max provides.

I tend to agree with stevedebi.

I do not use any OBDII device to continually monitor data while driving except on longer trips which are infrequent.  I simply don't see the benefit in normal day to day driving of monitoring various parameters as we are not hypermilers and aren't going to drive differently because of the data.   I've done controlled testing several times to see if I can observe aerodynamic benefits of grille covers and gas pods.  I've also recorded data to observe how the hybrid system operates under various conditions simply to gain knowledge not to change the way I drive.

So, IMO as I stated in another thread, spend around $20 for an ELM327 and download FORScan for free to a Windows machine and one can immediately monitor tire pressure.   Just put the car in ready mode and you can check tire pressure on your Windows desk top (doesn't need to be portable machine, just needs to be in wireless range).  FORScan when initialized / connected automatically scans your car for DTC.  It's the best $20 OBDII reader I've seen. :)  ;)

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Looked for a video last night on YouTube.  There are a lot but I could not find any that focused on adding custom programming.  Some talked about it being an option but none showed how to do it. 

One did talk about it being a simple copy and paste but again did not show the process. 

Any suggestion on a website or video that shows the process? 

Thx

Thank you jdbob, fbov and Plus3 Golfer - I will investigate this further - I would be interested in monitoring actual tire pressure and oil life remaining.  Gotta say that it kinda sucks to have to do this, when these were/are automatically displayed on all GM cars I have had since the late 90s

Scottwood2.  I have not spent much time with our ELM327/Torque Pro /Samsung G-Note combo yet, just set up a few built-in gauges a while back, and very preliminary runtime.  I did a brief check today and noted that custom PID's are entered in from the opening window, settings, manage custom PIDs, add a custom PID, menu 'click' regime.  At this point it looks like a straight forward fill-in-the blank routine for all the lines of 'code' for each new PID you create.  Note also that they have a very serious warning about creating custom PIDs / and messing up your car electronics, so not for the faint of heart.

I welcome any corrections and or additions to this from the experts.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Thanks Jdbob,

Quote:

"I've got some custom PID information for TPMS readings and Oil Life remaining percentage. Tested using OBD Fusion (OF) on an iPad, I've included what I think the values for Torque Pro (TP) should be."

OF Mod. TP Hdr. Mode PID   Name            Min Max Unit  Formula    Past Decimal

OK A-Team, how about giving us OBD newbies a primer on custom PIDs using Torque Pro?  (I'll try to set it up here)

Starting with Oil Life, here are the Torque Pro fill-in-the-blanks, line by line.  I will fill in the blanks I think I know, and hope the A-Team helps us with the rest.

1.  "OBD2 Mode and PID (in Hex.... ________  

2.  "Long Name"                    Oil Life Remaining by % 

3.  "Short Name"                   Oil Life

4.  "Min Value"                    0

5.  "Max Value"                    100

6.  "Scale Factor"                 ________

7.  "Unit Type"                    %

8.  "Equation"                     A

9.  "OBD Header"                   ________ 

10. "Diagnostic Start Command"     ________

11. "Diagnostic Stop Command"      ________

Do I have this correct???  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I've got some custom PID information for TPMS readings and Oil Life remaining percentage. Tested using OBD Fusion (OF) on an iPad, I've included what I think the values for Torque Pro (TP) should be.

72E     726      22  2815  Right Rear       0   60 PSI   (A*256+B)/20   1

72E     726      22  2816  Left Rear        0   60 PSI   (A*256+B)/20   1

I have the page to enter this info but as C-MaxSea posted I don't see how these column headers match to what Torque wants?  

I seen in a post that the OBD Header is shown above as TP Hdr.  

Does   OF Mod.  & Mode PID combine for  "OBD2 Mode and PID (in Hex....??

Past Decimal is scale factor?  

Sorry for the questions.  I looked in the wiki and googled it but did not find anything that walks you through this programming.  

I get confused by those column headings too.  Here's a screen shot of the edit screen for one of the tire pressure settings.  I have all four tire pressure readings plus the oil life working, along with others.  This might help you see where the various factors go.

post-629-0-04889600-1428727216_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I get confused by those column headings too.  Here's a screen shot of the edit screen for one of the tire pressure settings.  I have all four tire pressure readings plus the oil life working, along with others.  This might help you see where the various factors go.

attachicon.gifOBD screen.jpg

So does that display in 1 PSI increments or 0.1 PSI increments? How do you tell Torque what resolution you want? OBD Fusion has a selection of 0, 1, or 2 decimal places.

attachicon.gifOBD screen.jpg

Thx

I guess I was reading too much into it.  

It does say "Mode and PID".  What I was missing was that you enter the mode "22" and PID "2813" on the first line.  So "222813".

The scaling I kept at x1. 

The number of decimals came as default but I see you can change that on the gauge if needed.  

It is all working now.   Thx everyone for the help.