New Sync My-Ford (non-touch) update (Ver 4.4) on owner.ford.com site

Just logged in and noticed SYNC My-Ford (non-touch) update (Ver 4.4) was available for my 2013 CMax SE. It was added sometime in the last 4 weeks (since I last logged in).  

Has anyone installed this update? If so, have you noticed improved bluetooth connectivity? 

(With my current SYNC version, I frequently have to turn-off/turn-on bluetooth on phone to get connected.)

Below is summary of update:

What's included in this update?

FJ5T-14D544-AB SYNC v4.4

Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:

• Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
  • Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
  • More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speach output
  • Media Connectivity Improvements:
  • Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
  • Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle
  • AppLink Functionality Improvements:
  • Better AppLink customer experience with more robust features and reliable functionality

2010-2013 Basic SYNC and SYNC with MyFord (without Voice-Activated Navigation)
The v4.4 software update will add AppLink, in addition to improved quality updates, for 2010-2013 model year customers without Voice-Activated Navigation (who do not already have AppLink).

2010-2014 SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation
This software will provide improved quality updates only for 2010-2014 model year customers who have Voice-Activated Navigation.

Edited by Zathrus

I installed the update this morning, but I haven't driven the car since the update. So it's too soon to tell whether or not I see any change in BT connectivity (or any changes at all, for that matter). But since I didn't notice the connection being UNstable (it was always there whenever I tried to use it), I don't really expect to see any difference.

Really?  Hate to question a Ford rep, but for MyTouch system it said there was an update and I did install it (it was something like 3.7.x).  It seemed to install correctly and after I repaired my phone all was working.  I haven't checked for anything new yet, though.

I can check more fully (I have to put the USB back into my computer as the MFT update said to do this to let Ford "know" I got the update installed.

Hi Kelleytoons, 

Your vehicle was/is eligible for the 3.7 MFT update (MY 2014+), and SPL Tech's is not; his MFT is current at 3.6.2. 

Rebecca

Really?  I'm not sure I understand -- don't our vehicles have the same MFT system in them?  Or are you saying that he doesn't get a new update because of some monetary consideration?  If so, can he not just pay to get it?

I'm just trying to understand here -- if the MFT system is the same then you'd think it could run the new OS (kind of like having an older iPhone run the new iOS).  I could understand he might not get it for free, but he ought to be able to get it somehow.  And if it's different I'm curious as to how that is (did Ford change the mechanics of the MFT system along the way?)

I haven't seen any differences since I updated the system, but I need to find the time to sit down and go through the various menu options just in case there's something worthwhile.

Edited by Kelleytoons

The only difference I've noticed so far is streaming from the Sirius/XM app.

Previously the display would just say 'Bluetooth Audio' when I was streaming that app. Now it shows me the name of the program that's playing, or the name of the commercial that's playing (which is nice because I always turn down the volume on the commercials). 

I say 'program' because I use this app almost exclusively to listen to old time radio shows, as opposed to music. So it shows me the name of the program (Suspense, Gunsmoke, Fibber McGee and Molly, etc).

So far, that display change is the only difference I've noticed.

You have to repair your phone(s) -- that's part and parcel of the process.

I also lost my wallpaper, but it didn't appear to lose my radio presets (I don't listen to radio much, but the default FM station my wife likes was still playing when it rebooted).  I *hope* it didn't lose my favorite destinations (didn't check but will do so tomorrow).

2013 C-MAX SE (04/2013 build date) with 201A Equipment Group, so it's the base audio system MyFord SYNC, not MyFordTouch. 

1. Bluetooth devices DO need to be re-paired after the update. Asks to load Phonebook and Call History, and that worked as designed. After loading, I was able to see contacts and call history.

2. AST Automatic station seek and program now stores (10?) stations in numeric frequency order from lowest to highest. Originally, it seemed to be stored in random order, perhaps by strongest signal first?

3. My 4.4 (Kit-Kat™) Android phone (LG Fuel LG34C) on Bluetooth using Google Play as the music app now displays artist and song title, and reconnects automatically after power-off. Not really sure what SYNC did before, because I've only had this phone a few days, and didn't try a Bluetooth SYNC at all before the update.

4. Steering wheel buttons serve to increase and decrease volume (as does the volume control on the phone) and goes forward/backward among the tracks selected by the music player. (I was in a single folder with 22 tracks. At the end of the last track, SYNC automatically paused until I selected another folder with the music app on the phone.

5. Not sure if this was caused by the update, but using Media SYNC with USB cable to the same device, it no longer "sees" songs stored on the phone's 32GB microSDHC card, only those stored within the phone's 2GB internal storage.

Prior to the update, I successfully Media SYNC'd the phone with the appropriate USB cable several times, and after a ~10-minute wait while Indexing (about 5GB of songs), it saw all the music stored in folders (artists name, as created/downloaded from Amazon) on the SD card.

6. Haven't tried any Voice commands since the update. Rereading the Owner's manual SYNC section reminded me of just how incredibly powerful even the base SYNC can be when you take time to learn the "language" of commands and key words.

Edited by kostby

6. Haven't tried any Voice commands since the update. Rereading the Owner's manual SYNC section reminded me of just how incredibly powerful even the base SYNC can be when you take time to learn the "language" of commands and key words.

Agree 100% - I've said it before, but the voice commands are the most impressive feature about MFT and apparently even the base SYNC stuff as you point out.

I *love* the fact I can have it play any album or artist with a simple to remember command, but I can also set the temps and do things that in the past always required me to take my eyes off the road (like turning defrost on and off) by just a single touch of the paddle.  I test drove a lot of other vehicles with different systems and I do think Ford gets an undeserved bad reputation for what is a superior control system.

Our 2013's are pretty much done with sync updates, happened to us a couple of years into our MKX.

We plan to continue releasing updates as needed for all of our SYNC systems. :) 

Really?  I'm not sure I understand -- don't our vehicles have the same MFT system in them?  Or are you saying that he doesn't get a new update because of some monetary consideration?  If so, can he not just pay to get it?

I'm just trying to understand here -- if the MFT system is the same then you'd think it could run the new OS (kind of like having an older iPhone run the new iOS).  I could understand he might not get it for free, but he ought to be able to get it somehow.  And if it's different I'm curious as to how that is (did Ford change the mechanics of the MFT system along the way?)

I haven't seen any differences since I updated the system, but I need to find the time to sit down and go through the various menu options just in case there's something worthwhile.

LOL! Yes, really. The MyFord and MyLincoln Touch software level V3.7 is primarily designed to support new features not available on model years prior to 2014, as well as features in markets outside North America. In the spirit of Globalization, we have included North American owners of 2014 MY and newer vehicles should they choose to update their MyFord or MyLincoln Touch system.

Podivin...thanks for the info on bluetooth enhancement. When you updated Sync, did you have to re-pair your phone?  Did you lose your radio station presets?   I ask because I have never performed a Sycnc update. Thanks again.

You will have to re-pair your phone and download your phonebook after the update. Here's a link for more information on SYNC updates: 

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync/software-updates.html/?sync=sync

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Rebecca

- All I want is a slider bar for the MP3 player - surely that is NOT that hard to program or enhance...now that my 2013 is not going to have the next Sync update....

...but alas, reality tells me, I might have better luck finding that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....and a unicorn to ride home afterward.

:dance:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

If Rebecca is still watching this thread...

What's *really* wrong about MFT is the various media sources don't all have their own volume controls.  If your USB device isn't online it will default to the radio station, which on mine IS REALLY, REALLY LOUD!  (Or, conversely, you might say that my USB device input levels must be very low).  In either case, the need to balance inputs is something so essential I can't believe it was left out (it also kept me from even considering using Sirrus, which was also way out of volume balance).

We plan to continue releasing updates as needed for all of our SYNC systems. :)

LOL! Yes, really. The MyFord and MyLincoln Touch software level V3.7 is primarily designed to support new features not available on model years prior to 2014, as well as features in markets outside North America. In the spirit of Globalization, we have included North American owners of 2014 MY and newer veh

What are these features and why are they not available on 2013's?

I am also interested in knowing why both my 2013 SE and SEL are fully up to date, but have two different operating systems. My SEL has software features that do not exist on my SE, even though both have MFT. For example, the latest update added a window where you can see the charge status of the hybrid system, an option that does not show up on my SE even though the SE is fully up to date, but does show up on my SEL.

Edited by SPL Tech

Agree 100% - I've said it before, but the voice commands are the most impressive feature about MFT

Not for me.. It doesent dont work. I can only input an address correctly about 20% of the time using voice. My iPhone gets it right about 90% of the time.

Edited by SPL Tech

Not for me.. It doesent dont work. I can only input an address correctly about 20% of the time using voice. My iPhone gets it right about 90% of the time.

I sometimes have trouble, but basically it is a Microsoft product - you have to adjust your speaking to match the programming. The exact opposite of Android and IOS. My favorite error is to speak too quickly after the prompt. That messes up every time.

• 2 weeks later...

I am totally confused.  I have a 2013 CMAX SEL with MFT running 3.6.2.  Is there now, or will there be in the future, an update to 3.6.2?  Ford appears to have changed the customer-facing website where I used to check for the latest release.  I can't find it now.

I am totally confused.  I have a 2013 CMAX SEL with MFT running 3.6.2.  Is there now, or will there be in the future, an update to 3.6.2?  Ford appears to have changed the customer-facing website where I used to check for the latest release.  I can't find it now.

3.6.2 is current; future update: probably not (IMO).

Logon to owner.ford.com and follow the "SYNC & HOW-TO'S" tab.

Cheers.

I just installed MFT 3.7, though I think it's mostly identical to 3.6.2 except for nav updates?  owner.ford.com under SYNC & HOW-TOs.

I should have been more clear.  3.6.2 is current for my vehicle, viz. MFT w/o navigation.

Edited by Bill-N