Back up camera add on

varmonter

I was wondering what is involved in adding a BU camera to my new Cmax.I just purchased

a 2014 sel.with the 300 pkg.I am thinking all that is required is the camera.Thinking ford has maybe done all the wiring already and you just drill a whole and plug and play..am i dreaming??After test driving accords ,civics and hyundais and a few cmaxes with bu cameras i am thinking it is a nice feature..anyone done this.??

thx

The SEL comes with a back up camera already.

No it doesn't....

it depends on which package SEL  you got whether or not you got a BU camera.  I have an SEL  I think its a 302 package  with no BU camera, but I do have the back up sensors

It would be nice if the wires were in place... 

I think the only way to check if the wires were in place is to take a part some of the interior rear hatch...

Edited by Marc Smith

No it doesn't....

it depends on which package SEL  you got whether or not you got a BU camera.  I have an SEL  I think its a 302 package  with no BU camera, but I do have the back up sensors

It would be nice if the wires were in place... 

I think the only way to check if the wires were in place is to take a part some of the interior rear hatch...

Wow, yours is the first SEL I've hear of that didn't have a backup camera. I looked at a 302a SEL and it had a camera.

Base SEL lacks the "hands-free technology package" ($500).   

You'd need to figure out the wiring for the camera and also figure out how the camera engages with the reverse gear.   There might be some sort of switch attached to the transmission?? 

How much is the reverse camera?

The thread that scottwood2 linked is a good source of information and links. The camera I got is a module with the camera and a LED light that replaces one of the license plate light units. The hard part is removing enough of the car interior plastic pieces to run wires from the tailgate to the instrument panel. The most expensive part is the Lockpick module, so it's not a cheap project. Take a look at the Youtube videos linked in that thread to see if you feel comfortable doing the work.

Correct 300a is what i am getting.It has the myford scratch ,heated leather..i think the bu sensors(not sure about that though)

Thanks for the responses.I think the stealer will want 2k and add nav and the like ..all i want is the camera..

Does anyone know if my screen is compatible..this camera and lockpic device sound  like it might be the ticket if it use s my existing monitor??

Well, I've got the Energi, which I suspect all have the camera. One note for the factory (or dealer) installed system - it integrates with the sensor, so that you have a visual indication of the distance (green, yellow, red), as well as visual, overlayed onto the video. Also, it provides two turn predictor lines that indicate where the car will go based on the direction of the front wheels.

On my Escape Hybrid, I got by with just the rear sensors (it didn't have Nav). Invaluable. But with the sensor and the camera, it is really easy to park.

If you have the 303a, it is even easier, with side and front sensors. I still don't use the auto park - scared the heck out of me, although I'm sure it would never actually hit the car in front (it just looked like it was within an inch).

Well, I've got the Energi, which I suspect all have the camera. One note for the factory (or dealer) installed system - it integrates with the sensor, so that you have a visual indication of the distance (green, yellow, red), as well as visual, overlayed onto the video. Also, it provides two turn predictor lines that indicate where the car will go based on the direction of the front wheels.

On my Escape Hybrid, I got by with just the rear sensors (it didn't have Nav). Invaluable. But with the sensor and the camera, it is really easy to park.

If you have the 303a, it is even easier, with side and front sensors. I still don't use the auto park - scared the heck out of me, although I'm sure it would never actually hit the car in front (it just looked like it was within an inch).

I believe the Energi has the same packages as the Hybrid SEL, meaning you need the 302A package to have a backup camera.

Yes-----the options for the Energi are the same as SEL (301A lacks camera)

I'd have to rate the backup sensors a 9 out of 10 for usefulness.   Backup camera?  Maybe a 4.  Useful for gauging the distance between the tires and the curb.   I still park by "feel" most of the time.   The whole concept of "auto park" is bizarre to me.  What next, self-walking shoes?

I guess my point is---don't spend a whole lot of cash and effort putting the camera in, unless you really can't live without it. 

Yes-----the options for the Energi are the same as SEL (301A lacks camera)

I'd have to rate the backup sensors a 9 out of 10 for usefulness.   Backup camera?  Maybe a 4.  Useful for gauging the distance between the tires and the curb.   I still park by "feel" most of the time.   The whole concept of "auto park" is bizarre to me.  What next, self-walking shoes?

I guess my point is---don't spend a whole lot of cash and effort putting the camera in, unless you really can't live without it. 

I got my 303A because it was the only one on the lot in Ice Blue.

I had a back-up camera in my previous car and I never used it. I tried a few times but I always felt like it 'lied' to me. Because the camera was inboard of the rear bumper, the camera would show I had about 8 inches to go when the rear bumper had already touched. Yes, I could have learned to allow for that, but since I learned years ago (ok, decades ago) how to back a car/van/dump truck using side mirrors,  the camera was really superfluous at that point. Give me decent side mirrors and wide angle lenses and I can put a car wherever it will fit (thank you Ford for the built-in wide angle lenses).

I can see an argument for using a camera to prevent back over kids toys or other stuff that might have accumulated in the driveway behind your car while you weren't looking, but since that's not really an issue in my house I have no need for a camera.

Like others, I REALLY like the rear proximity sensors, they do a good job of verifying what I'm seeing in the mirrors.

I had a back-up camera in my previous car and I never used it. I tried a few times but I always felt like it 'lied' to me. Because the camera was inboard of the rear bumper, the camera would show I had about 8 inches to go when the rear bumper had already touched. Yes, I could have learned to allow for that, but since I learned years ago (ok, decades ago) how to back a car/van/dump truck using side mirrors,  the camera was really superfluous at that point. Give me decent side mirrors and wide angle lenses and I can put a car wherever it will fit (thank you Ford for the built-in wide angle lenses).

I can see an argument for using a camera to prevent back over kids toys or other stuff that might have accumulated in the driveway behind your car while you weren't looking, but since that's not really an issue in my house I have no need for a camera.

Like others, I REALLY like the rear proximity sensors, they do a good job of verifying what I'm seeing in the mirrors.

As it happens, I can see the bumper in the camera, so there is no chance of hitting accidentally.

well after reading about these sensors ..i guess I will wait to see how i like them.Before i invest in the camera.Will the senors radar pick up

obstacles (kids toys and the like) .also does anyone use a radar detector in the car??Do these sensors make it go off?Are they on all the time? or just when in reverse..or do you have to turn them on manually.I am picking up the car today..hopefully the dealer will go over this with me.

i have been driving for 44 years i really don't need any of this technology..I can't remember the last time i backed into anything. :shift:

two sides and a rear view is all i really need...But all this technology fascinates me. :yahoo:

sorry for all the nubie questions

They only operate when the car is put in reverse, just like a backup camera.  They work fine at sensing anything behind me even including high curbs but I haven't tried them with kids toys (depends on how big the toy is, I suppose).  I suspect you'll find they work fine for what you need them for.

I doubt whether they could possibly make a radar sensor go off, although it's been years since I've had one (or needed one -- if you are as old as it seems I don't think you need one either, as you should have a lot more sense than to drive that far over the limit anymore).