Radio will not shut off

Earthkeeper

I have a 2013 Hybrid SEL. Today I noticed that when I shut the engine down, the radio kept playing even when I opened the door. I tried a reset to factory settings--no luck. I called my dealer. They didn't know the cause. They did suggest that I pull the fuse (passenger side under glove box). I got out my manual and borrowed a pointed tip pliers from the coffee shop I was having breakfast at, pulled the appropriate fuse and the radio shut off. I went back into the restaurant and finished my breakfast. I then drove home and decided to put the fuse back just to see what would happen. Low and behold, the radio worked fine and shut off as usual. Of course, I had to pair my smart phone, but my radio stations remained intact. All data on the navigation system was lost (no big deal). I don't understand the issue, but the bottom line is that all is working correctly now. Has anyone else had this issue come up?

No, I haven't heard of this particular issue but if it ever happens again you should try a master reset of the infotainment system.  It's buried in the settings menu.  Same thing happens, you lose all your saved settings, but it's physically easier to accomplish than going the fuse route.

I would have expected your radio would have turned off (timed out) at 10 minutes.

Another possibility, the door switch might have been stuck so the radio never "thought" you got out.

No, I haven't heard of this particular issue but if it ever happens again you should try a master reset of the infotainment system.  It's buried in the settings menu.  Same thing happens, you lose all your saved settings, but it's physically easier to accomplish than going the fuse route.

I would have expected your radio would have turned off (timed out) at 10 minutes.

Another possibility, the door switch might have been stuck so the radio never "thought" you got out.

I just saw another owner over on the C-Max Energi forum with the same problem.

Today I am experience the exact opposite problem. My radio won't turn on. That means I have no radio, no mp3 ability, no navigation voice, no bluetooth, and no voice commands. Is there a set of instructions somewhere for a master reset or is it just in the infotainment settings somewhere?

Hello All.

I bought used C-MAX 2013 SE. On second day when I drove home I heard very loud strange noise from speakers. Then radio stopped working.  On next morning radio works fine, but later I got same problem - very loud noise and radio stopped working. It happened again couple times in next couple days. I tried to remove fuses (67, 69, 79), but when I tried put them back I heard same noise and no radio at all. Then radio started working by it self, then stop again and right now radio doesn't work and radio screen shows only temperature and time -nothing else. I came to dealership to do recall about emission and I asked about radio problem. They told me that there is no warranty on car and they will charge $200 just to look on radio. I declined. Any suggestions? I have simple radio (small screen, no navigation, etc) Thanks.

Did you buy the car privately?  If you bought from a dealership they need to fix your stereo.

You a have the base AM/FM with CD and 6 speakers.  Can you take out the radio?  If I were you, I would go to an electronic repair place and let them check it out.        

Did you buy the car privately?  If you bought from a dealership they need to fix your stereo.

You a have the base AM/FM with CD and 6 speakers.  Can you take out the radio?  If I were you, I would go to an electronic repair place and let them check it out.        

I bought trade-in car from chevy  dealership as is. So I think I can't ask them to repair it. I could take out radio, but I think it's look like it's bigger problem. I even don't hear signals from rear park assist system. I see on left screen - it's working, but quiet. Is there any manual - how to get access to radio module?

Years ago, I used to sell new and used lanscaping equipment.  Even though our used stuff didn't have a warranty (we used to joke "30 feet or 30 seconds")  If someone brought something back two days later with a problem we would have fixed it--no questions asked.  A reputable business will stand behind what they sell. 

I would speak to the manager of the dealership.   It was working when you test drove it.  And two days later--broken.  You have a reasonable expectation that your car will be the way to bought it for at least a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with previous owner. She told me she had problem with radio for about a year and she were at ford many times to solve problem. Every time they told to her that they changed some modules in a radio but problem appears again and again. She tired to fight with them so she decided to change car. 

Guys, someone who have service manual, please tell me where is located audio module?

Thanks.

I have a 2013 Hybrid SEL. Today I noticed that when I shut the engine down, the radio kept playing even when I opened the door. I tried a reset to factory settings--no luck. I called my dealer. They didn't know the cause. They did suggest that I pull the fuse (passenger side under glove box). I got out my manual and borrowed a pointed tip pliers from the coffee shop I was having breakfast at, pulled the appropriate fuse and the radio shut off. I went back into the restaurant and finished my breakfast. I then drove home and decided to put the fuse back just to see what would happen. Low and behold, the radio worked fine and shut off as usual. Of course, I had to pair my smart phone, but my radio stations remained intact. All data on the navigation system was lost (no big deal). I don't understand the issue, but the bottom line is that all is working correctly now. Has anyone else had this issue come up?

I had that happen with my 2013 SEL about a year ago.   Took it to the dealer and they reset the "system" although not really sure exactly what they did.   They have a habit of returning the car to me after any upgrades or resets with the contacts and favorite locations purged, so might have disconnected the battery for all I know.   

I have a very early 2013-SEL and never have had any of the quirky issues that are often reported in this forum. Also the stories about Ford dealers not responding to issues seems unusual to me as I've experience the opposite. My C-Max has been a quality car, my Ford dealership has been outstanding in their service, and I'm getting great mileage - averaging 48.5 (789 miles) for this month of April. Read my previous posts and you'll see I'm a true owner. I'm not pointing fingers, the C-Max has some complex technologies that I am sure owners have occasional issues, but I'm just saying when I hear about an unusual problem and that the dealer won't show love my radar goes up. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is no repair for MFT issues. The issues exist because the MFT operating system was not sufficiently debuged and as a result it is very poorly programed. That's why Ford fired Microsoft for the Sync 3 system. Both me and my GF have a number of seemingly endless and always changing problems with our MFT units. They are just crap units, very poorly programed. Nothing can be done about that beyond software patches which Ford is not releasing. The best thing to do is to keep going back to the dealer over and over and over and over and to other dealers and even more dealers and cost as much money as possible. The higher the bill that Ford has to foot for repairs, the more interested they will be in releasing software patches. Just run up the dollar signs and someone will notice eventually.

There is no repair for MFT issues. The issues exist because the MFT operating system was not sufficiently debuged and as a result it is very poorly programed. That's why Ford fired Microsoft for the Sync 3 system. Both me and my GF have a number of seemingly endless and always changing problems with our MFT units. They are just crap units, very poorly programed. Nothing can be done about that beyond software patches which Ford is not releasing. The best thing to do is to keep going back to the dealer over and over and over and over and to other dealers and even more dealers and cost as much money as possible. The higher the bill that Ford has to foot for repairs, the more interested they will be in releasing software patches. Just run up the dollar signs and someone will notice eventually.

I occasionally have an issue with the system, but in general if I follow the way it is programmed, it works for me, including routing to addresses while driving, changing the radio channels, etc. It is a microsoft product, and you have to adjust to how it is programmed, not vice versa - it isn't going to change.

Having said that, if things happen like this thread, where the radio doesn't turn off, that sort of thing needs to be fixed by the dealer. But you need to go to a good dealer, with a good service department that cares.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem with the radio!  It never turns off, I can't change the station, there are no turn-by-turn instructions on the GPS, and also my rear detection system doesn't beep anymore.  It just happened 3 days ago (I've had my C-MAX for 1 year and 8 months).  

I'll try resetting the system first.  If that doesn't work, I'll pull the fuse.  In any case, I'll report back on what happens.

Just as you might have suspected, as soon as I get out to the car I find that the 12V battery is dead.  Anyway, I pulled the fuse (which wasn't blown), called AAA to get the car jumped, and then drove it to work and then back later in the day.  I put the fuse back and now everything seems to be back to normal.  

My system got stuck on a Siruis update. Doing a master reset did not help. I also pulled the fuse...the fuse box is located under the passenger side dash. This fixed the problem and all was good for about 9 months. Now my FM display is stuck on the same channel. I can change channels but it takes about 19 seconds, but the button and display never changes. Guess I will pull the fuse again! I just can't remember the fuse number...am hoping I marked it in my manual!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi and first noticed that volume control was not working for radio nor would it allow me to change stations using steering wheel, manual or touchscreen options.  When car was turned off radio continued to play even after opening doors and locking car. :sad:

Pulled radio fuse as directed and radio turned off.  Put fuse back in and now appears to be working appropriately.  :)

I have a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi and first noticed that volume control was not working for radio nor would it allow me to change stations using steering wheel, manual or touchscreen options.  When car was turned off radio continued to play even after opening doors and locking car. :sad:

Pulled radio fuse as directed and radio turned off.  Put fuse back in and now appears to be working appropriately.  :)

Have you had the CSP 15B04 update done?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Suddenly, my wife's 2013 CMAX radio will not turn off, even with engine off, doors locked..  Cant change volume, channels, AM/FM, CD or Phone.   Naturally, I was out of town when it happened, so my wife called local Ford dealer and they didnt take her seriously and scheduled an appointment in 3 weeks (4-26).   They told her it would automatically shut off when she closed the door and that there would be no problem with the batteries.   I got home late and tried to find the fuse (as the CMAX owner did in Virginia) but the manual doesnt indicate which fuse is for the stereo/radio system   This morning, the car is completely dead with message that says system shut down to conserve battery.  YET, the damn radio is still on.  

this is probably some glitch in the software or radio module, but the aggravating thing is my wife had a car that was driveable

yesterday but the dealership didnt take her seriously.  Now its not driveable and  that lack of support for her affects my next vehicle decision.

Since these forum posts go back to December, seems like Auburn, CA

Ford service dept should know about it.