C-Max in EU Diesel

nsteblay

I think that if it was a bigger seller here then we might see these options.  With cheap fuel prices and the extra cost for the diesel, it would probably be a hard sell.  65 MPG is a nice selling point.  I wonder if their 65 MPG would be the same here?  Not sure how their rating compares to the EPA rating in the US?

65 mpg is likely Imperial gallons which is 54 mpg US gallons and the EU fuel economy tests are considerably more optimistic than the EPA numbers.  Also, the UK Ford specs show 53.3 Imp mpg which is likely the combined city and urban cycles.  My guess is the 65 mpg is the urban cycle only.  For comparison, I think the  VW Jetta 2.0 diesel is also around 53 mpg Imp.  The EPA rating of the 2015 2.0 TDI is 31 city, 46 hwy, and 36 combined.  

Bottom line: disregard the 65 mpg FE number as we have no idea what is refers to. ;)  My guess if the C-Max 2.0 were sold here it's EPA rating would be about the same as the Jetta TDI.

Diesels are some what of a hard sell with the cost of 50cents a gallon more than regular.  TDI's do get good MPG's on the HWY's, but CMAX kills them in around town driving.  Even with 82%HWY driving my Fuelly average is 46.1 and going up with the warmer temps. I wouldn't be doing that good with a TDI. :)

Paul

I agree that we need to see more diesel cars in the US, as well as remove the extra taxes on diesel that drive the price higher than regular gasoline. For people, like ptjones, that drive over 75% highway, the diesel engine likely would be cheaper. One of the odd things about the EPA tests is that they seem to overestimate hybrid economy but underestimate diesel economy for "normal" drivers -- drivers of diesel cars can typically beat EPA estimates by a few mpg without changing how they drive. 

Having said that, as other have pointed out, it's fuel economy in the US would likely be similar to the Jetta's or Passat's. Beyond the ideas of the article using imperial gallons (US gallons = .83 imperial gallons), there is also the fact that US cars have additional safety and pollution controls that lower fuel economy. Last, surveys recently have found diesel engines have been less reliable, even in Europe, than the gasoline versions of the same vehicle.

To me, I'd like to have the choice; it seems to me that various gasoline, diesel, hybrid, plug in hybrid, and pure EV all have their advantages, and it would be great to have more choices in the type of vehicle that works for me.

I agree that we need to see more diesel cars in the US, as well as remove the extra taxes on diesel that drive the price higher than regular gasoline. For people, like ptjones, that drive over 75% highway, the diesel engine likely would be cheaper. One of the odd things about the EPA tests is that they seem to overestimate hybrid economy but underestimate diesel economy for "normal" drivers -- drivers of diesel cars can typically beat EPA estimates by a few mpg without changing how they drive. 

Having said that, as other have pointed out, it's fuel economy in the US would likely be similar to the Jetta's or Passat's. Beyond the ideas of the article using imperial gallons (US gallons = .83 imperial gallons), there is also the fact that US cars have additional safety and pollution controls that lower fuel economy. Last, surveys recently have found diesel engines have been less reliable, even in Europe, than the gasoline versions of the same vehicle.

To me, I'd like to have the choice; it seems to me that various gasoline, diesel, hybrid, plug in hybrid, and pure EV all have their advantages, and it would be great to have more choices in the type of vehicle that works for me.

It would get worse mileage because of the cD and larger cross section than either the Passat or Golf.