Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

End Of The ICE-Age

EV ICE Battery Cost

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

That seems surprising.  Fueleconomy.gov uses 12 cents per kW-Hr for average electric rate and 0.25 to 0.35 kW-Hr per mile for EV consumption (excepting the Tesla X).  Using 0.30 kW-Hr per mile gives 3.6 cents per mile.  At the 40 mpg EPA C-Max rating, electricity would cost $1.44 which is way below anyones gasoline price per gallon.  Fuel for an average EV costs 54% of a C-Max.  Plus an EV eliminates all the time and cost of ICE maintenance.

Wait a minute, are you telling me that My CMAX getting 60 mpg and 30k miles on oil changes that I'm getting close to EV costs? :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 899 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:44 PM

Wait a minute, are you telling me that My CMAX getting 60 mpg and 30k miles on oil changes that I'm getting close to EV costs? :)

Paul

Not really.  If you drove an EV in the same manner as your C-Max, your EV cost would likely be under 3 cents/mile.  That compares to about 5.8 cents per mile for your C-Max using $3.454 current US average cost of premium fuel and 60 mpg.  Oil doesn't add much per mile (one or two tenths of a cent) but I still find changing it a nuisance.  So, the EV still comes in at about half the cost.

#63 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

Right; I get 4+mi/kWh in my Energi, my household electricity is about $.12/kWh, so that math certainly works for me.  Even the pricey charger near work charges $.20/kWh, raising it to $.05/mi.  Thankfully, there's a free charger (thanks, National Grid!) only slightly farther away, which drops my cost about in half.

#64 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,681 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:30 AM

Not really.  If you drove an EV in the same manner as your C-Max, your EV cost would likely be under 3 cents/mile.  That compares to about 5.8 cents per mile for your C-Max using $3.454 current US average cost of premium fuel and 60 mpg.  Oil doesn't add much per mile (one or two tenths of a cent) but I still find changing it a nuisance.  So, the EV still comes in at about half the cost.

I have been averaging $3/gal. for Premium the last 10 fillups and cheaper before that. :) If cost was everything I could use Regular with some loss in MPG's, but should get it down to 4.8 cents/mi. I think. :headscratch:

Paul

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EV, ICE, Battery Cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·