One year follow up

JacksMax

Well, I have owned by 2013 C-MAX SE for thirteen months now. Other than a dead 12V battery on the third day of ownership it has been trouble free. The car has about 9200 miles and my life time average mpg is at

46.6 MPG. I drive around 70% suburb and 30% highway.

Really can't think of anything I don't like about this car. It drives, handles, accelerates and brakes very well.

Very roomy and quiet. Just an all around great automobile!

Thx for posting the update.  Good to hear that you like the car.  I love my SE too.  About 8 months old now.  It is so much fun to drive and perfect for me. 

Just curious how the dead battery issue was solved?  I recently had this issue too.  Battery checked ok.  reflashed the ROM with a new dataset per tech service bulletin.  

Thx for posting the update.  Good to hear that you like the car.  I love my SE too.  About 8 months old now.  It is so much fun to drive and perfect for me. 

Just curious how the dead battery issue was solved?  I recently had this issue too.  Battery checked ok.  reflashed the ROM with a new dataset per tech service bulletin.  

I suspect the Ford dealer wasn't charging the 12v. When I was shopping the dealer tried a half dozen C-Max - and every one had a dead 12v battery. I finally got an Energi, which happened to have a good 12v when we went to look at it.

Having that 12v go flat on the lot can't be good for them.

Well, I have owned by 2013 C-MAX SE for thirteen months now. Other than a dead 12V battery on the third day of ownership it has been trouble free. The car has about 9200 miles and my life time average mpg is at

46.6 MPG. I drive around 70% suburb and 30% highway.

Really can't think of anything I don't like about this car. It drives, handles, accelerates and brakes very well.

Very roomy and quiet. Just an all around great automobile!

JacksMax,

Thanks for sharing, and I’m happy to learn that you love your C-MAX SE. I’ll be here if you need anything.

In the meantime, happy cruising!  :) 

Hello scottwood2,

I’m just touching base with you. How are things going since your last visit to the dealer?

Tricia

Wow. THat reminds me.  We bought our Nov. '12 built 2013 SEL on March 1 last year.  Apart from a rear passenger door that won't open from the inside (prob child lock stuck on)  we've had no problems.  And still has that new car smell to contrast with the decidedly old car smell in my '85 GMC van.

11,000 miles.  According to fuelly.com it's costing about a dollar for my wife's 30 minute city drive to work (.05 c/km)

Edited by Adrian_L

Scott,

I purchased my 2013 SE in Feb. 2014. It was build in late June 2013. It had sat at a dealer approximately 75 miles from my dealer. It had only 94 miles on it when I picked it up. So it was driven only around 20 miles in six months. Like I stated my battery died on the third day of ownership. My dealer suspected that the battery was jumped to get it running and the drive to Charlotte was not adequate to fully charge the battery. The day after I picked up the car it rained and I drove it around for about one half an hour. Wipers, radio and headlights on. Next day a dead battery.

My dealer charged the battery for a full day and stated the battery tested OK.

Since then no issues. So I do suspect my battery issue was due to a long period of no running.

Hope your issue was solved by the computer update.

I've noticed from some reviews, where the car has been driven for a few hours, that there are some complaints about the comfort of the driver's seat -- that after a couple of hours it isn't that comfortable. For those of you who have taken longer trips in your C-Max, have you had a similar issue?

Unfortunately, from what I've found, seat comfort between cars is often a matter of personal preference, though there are some seats that aren't adequately cushioned or have poor ergonomics (in fact, the back seats in the C-Max seem to be poorly cushioned). I'm just curious what the experience of driver's seat comfort has been for people here, especially on longer trips.

The front seats are a bit small for my 6'/190 pound frame, and I noticed the lack of thigh support right away compared to my previous Audi and Volvo.   Having said that I wasn't particularly uncomfortable after the last 2 h+ drive.   I have to agree with my dad that Volvo makes the best front seats.

Here what I have done to make trips more comfortable.

I have used my sharper image shiatsu back massager.  It plugs into the 110V outlet.  Not perfect but I feel pretty darn good getting a massage for like 1.5 hours.  It can get painful if I lean too hard up against it.  I also have a neck massager and a heating pad that I use.  I actually haven't been using the C-Max AC adapter that much because it has been tripping the circuit breaker and doesn't untrip for hours.  I need to duplicate the problem for the dealer for they will not replace it on my word.   I have been using a monster AC adapter that plugs into the 12V and it works fine.

Edited by obob