Cool...not cool??? from a hot rod purist point of view

Marc Smith

now I had a 66 Coupe.  that to this day  holds a very special place in  my heart, and if my wife allowed it  I would sell all my current toys to buy another one.

and never in  my right mind woudl I even consider hacking up a good classic car to create an electric wannabe.  That being said.  if I happened across a an old classic car that would not ever be "right" in stock form.  no problem with a chop/cut/rebuild.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/1/8320189/zombie-222-electric-car-1968-mustang-texas-mile

He made the local news here so it seems he's pretty good at the promotional thing.  LOL

I use to go to the TexasMile back in the early days at the original location (ex-navy auxiliary field out in the middle of nowhere) when it was more laid back.  Now folks from all over the country and North America show up so getting multiple runs is much more difficult due to the number of entries.  Winds were high this time so not a lot records broken.  

I have been a classic car lover for years.  Personally I love that dichotomy between a vintage car and cutting-edge electric tech.

For 18 grand you can get a full lithium ion EV kit to throw in a VW Beetle.  Regenerative braking too!   There's a very cool Type 2 vintage bus with an electric conversion on YouTube.

Very cool to have a classy "old" car with efficient trouble-free electric power.  That insane power has its place to make a point but "normal" power would be just fine.  Maybe a '59 Ford Fairlane (Skyliner anyone?), 1961 Lincoln Continental (no, the back door doesn't open like a minivan!), 1966 Olds Toronado (front wheel drive is back), or, um, perhaps a Nash Metropolitan (bet half you guys never heard of it).  But my personal choice would be a Citroen DS Pallas!

By comparison, todays cars are so boooorrrrring!  We no longer have:

• Hood Ornaments - I think I know what belongs on The Enterprise
  • Chrome - where did it go - do they use it to make batteries?
  • Bumpers - real ones with a real purpose
  • "Sealed Beams" - I'm getting real tired of the endless swoopy, squinty things
  • "Dogleg" Front Doors - OK, I'll pass on that one
  • Suicide Doors - "Shotgun!"
  • Hardtops - safer than a convertible!
  • Bench Seats - even coil springs - sit anywhere and be comfy.  (Now we get "one shape fits all" - not)
  • Fender Skirts - who said aerodynamics has to look bad?
  • Spare Tires - imagine that!  Even mounted on the back bumper under a chrome cover
  • Fins! - I remember a cereal box ad claiming "fins save gas" - no kidding!  (Who needs grill covers?)  Well, with those old cars you need all the help with saving gas that you can get and that's right where the electric conversions come in.  Along with saving all that maintenance and pollution!

Yeah, we need more conversion kits!

I have been a classic car lover for years.  Personally I love that dichotomy between a vintage car and cutting-edge electric tech.

For 18 grand you can get a full lithium ion EV kit to throw in a VW Beetle.  Regenerative braking too!   There's a very cool Type 2 vintage bus with an electric conversion on YouTube.

For 18 grand I could buy a 100,000-mile C-MAX Energi, a vintage 70's Ford car without a drivetrain, and a welding torch, and spend the rest of my life building my own Ford Hybrid Electric hotrod.  A 1970's 2-door Maverick DOES have the same wheelbase as the C-MAX… 

Maybe I could create one of those Frankenstein-ish Subaru/Prius Pruck or Primo limo conversions from the guys at AutoBeYours in Scottsburg, Indiana. They now sell rebuilt C-MAXes too.

http://autobeyours.com/rebuildable%20Prius%20and%20LEAF%20hybrids.htm

I'd stay away from American classics, myself.   An old Continental weighs about 5000 pounds---that'll kill your range.  My "shortlist" for a conversion would be a 60's Beetle, VW Type 3 fastback, VW Thing, Porsche 912 or 911. 

There was a madman online who welded two Vanagons together to make a bus and was putting in a Tesla drivetrain.  I think he hit a wall when Tesla refused to sell him parts.   

Edited by Adrian_L

I'd stay away from American classics, myself.   An old Continental weighs about 5000 pounds---that'll kill your range.  My "shortlist" for a conversion would be a 60's Beetle, VW Type 3 fastback, VW Thing, Porsche 912 or 911. 

There was a madman online who welded two Vanagons together to make a bus and was putting in a Tesla drivetrain.  I think he hit a wall when Tesla refused to sell him parts.   

It would be fun to do this to one of the old Austin Healeys, or a similar sports car.

I'd stay away from American classics, myself.   An old Continental weighs about 5000 pounds---that'll kill your range.

Weight is a factor for sure but how much range does the typical classic car owner need?  30 or 40 miles seems plenty for some afternoon fun.  I doubt many folks drive classic cars long distances.  Since small cars can be quite easy to work on, there might be more incentive for converting the big ones.  And there's lots of room under those long hoods!  BTW, the Tesla is almost 5000 pounds and goes 270 miles.  So its just a matter of how many batteries you want (or can afford!) to fit in there.