Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Stopping Thieves: Buy A Faraday Cage?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 428 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:03 PM

This might be a good idea if your car is parked outside.  I have been seeing these stories for some time but never saw how it was happening until now.  A cheap device amplifies the car's signal to/from the fob and unlocks the car.  This article is about a Prius but I would not be surprised if it applies to all cars that use this technology.  http://jalopnik.com/...ign=wednesdayPM

• JeremyCxxn likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 494 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

Very interesting! I would be concerned about putting keys in the freezer though like the NYT writer is doing because the cold could damage other components of the keys.

I wonder how far the range can be amplified with one of those devices and if it would allow thieves to start the car or just unlock it.

#3 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 484 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

Very interesting! I would be concerned about putting keys in the freezer though like the NYT writer is doing because the cold could damage other components of the keys.

I wonder how far the range can be amplified with one of those devices and if it would allow thieves to start the car or just unlock it.

From what I recall reading, it only helps to unlock the car. The sensors in the car can tell the key is not in the car, despite the booster, and so it refuses to start.

#4 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 528 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

Locks/keys  just keep honest people honest.

and to be honest.  if someone wants to break into my car,  I'd much rather them doing it without the collateral damage.

I had a 1994 Impala SS  wife and I were at Lamaze classes ath the hospital in Florida.   The theives bent the door skin, broke the window, tried to cut out the air bag, , cut the seats, bled on the seats and broke the dash removing the radio.  at the time I had a $1000 deductible.... 

#5 OFFLINE   JeremyCxxn

JeremyCxxn

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Australia and Oceania
  • LocationMelbourne
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

This might be a good idea if your car is parked outside.  I have been seeing these stories for some time but never saw how it was happening until now.  A cheap device amplifies the car's signal to/from the fob and unlocks the car.  This article is about a Prius but I would not be surprised if it applies to all cars that use this technology.  http://jalopnik.com/...ign=wednesdayPM

One option is to grab a car key faraday cage pouch which would do the job nicely: http://www.carkeycage.com

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·