Average FE over 1 year

greencmax

Hi all

See the attached  annual report from Fuelly.com .   41.8 mpg average  & I am enjoying it.

Just wanted to share the FE that was tracked since purchased in Dec '13 on my 2013 Cmax  after ~20K miles.

When I first joined this forum, someone had mentioned that true representative FE is 1 yr worth of data & I agree . Vehicle endured the harsh Michigan winters & mild summers.

Please share if anyone has tracked FE. 

Driving conditions: 90% city (~45-50 mph), ~60 miles per day to & fro to work.

post-1793-0-61223400-1429271873_thumb.jpg

Thx for sharing.  Yes, this past winter was one of the coldest ones I remember here in Detroit.  Route to work  now is about 60 MPG and the coldest days were about 32 MPG.  10 mile trip with a slow city route.  I think longer would help bring up the FE. 

71 deg here today and loving it!  :)

post-1940-0-18142100-1429337337_thumb.png

Greencmax,

The 2nd-generation EPA Fuel Estimate information (showing 45/city 40/highway 43/combined instead of the current 42/37/40) predicted your actual 2014 Fuel Cost for ~15,000 miles quite accurately, $1250!

Falling fuel prices had a bit to do with that, too.

Our Fuelly 12-month average (March 2014 through March 2015) is 41.4 mpg using odometer miles and gallons pumped. The car display is a bit more optimistic at 41.7. The summer high for a refuel was 49.0 mpg, and the winter low was 32.8 mpg for a refuel in January.

post-1940-0-90927700-1429337940_thumb.png

We're retired and have an adult son living with us. We traveled just over 5,000 miles in our C-MAX during first year of ownership, about half of our 10,000 annual miles traveled. Our usual trips are 3 to 5 miles in a small suburban city of 20,000 located 25 miles from downtown Indianapolis. Once or twice a month we make a 50 to 75 mile round trip to Indy or Lafayette.  

November '14 through March '15 we had little snow, but it was significantly colder than average. I installed an oil pan preheater on the C-MAX, but didn't use it every time during the winter. It helped raise mpg's a bit when I remembered to plug it in overnight, but the difference between 32mpg "without preheating" and maybe 36 mpg "with preheating" for a 3 mile trip can be measured in fractions of a teaspoon. The ICE ran to bring the cabin up to temp, regardless.

We're retired, so we often let the car sit in the garage and took one of the other cars two cars parked in the driveway. We often take our 2003 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L (it sits outside all winter) on short local trips. It averaged 25.9 mpg over the last year for about 4,100 miles, and the low during the winter was 16.7 mpg for a refuel in early February when we never left town. Our third car is a 1996 Taurus 3.0 V6 that achieves about 12mpg around town year round. It manages significantly better mpgs on the highway, but we just never take it out of town, and drive it less than 1000 miles a year. Still handy when the 3 of us all need to be in different places at the same time.

So even in cold temps without preheating and driving short trips, the Ford hybrid technology successfully achieves about DOUBLE the miles per gallon 32.8 C-MAX versus 16.7 Vibe, for our WORST wintertime driving patterns.

Edited by kostby