It's all about that Bass

Sorry, couldn't resist the kitchy, topical title.  :drop:

I have an SEL with the optional Sony high end (and I use that term loosely) sound system.  I recently added a Cadence 8-inch powered subwoofer that fits underneath the front seats. I got it from Amazon several years ago for about $250 and installed in a couple of vehicles during that time.  Since the CMax has so much physical headroom, I have my drivers seat set fairly high which means I have more room under it so I placed the sub there.  I didn't bolt it down because A) it's very heavy and isn't going anywhere and B) access to the under floor storage.  

Since I wasn't going to access the Sony head unit buried in the dash, it's a fairly easy install.  Took me a couple of hours as I was charting unknown waters with the exception of the speaker wiring info thanks to jdbob and Marc Smith in another thread.  :thumbsup:

After removing the driver side B-piller and front/rear bottom door sill trim panels by hand, I tapped into the left rear speaker wires for signal.

3E4E406A-71DF-4D9F-880A-3FDD8DDF5E30_zps

Next I found an unused slot on the rear fuse box that was only hot with the power on or in accessory mode and installed a fuse tap for a power signal to activate the amp.  Note: this doesn't power the amp, only turns it on.

784015D8-3E66-447D-88AC-C92A435B80F1_zps

I powered the amp straight from the 12v battery with heavy gauge wiring and an inline fuse as per instructions.  You want a good strong source of power.

FBFAE99F-014D-4BF7-B268-EF1A951F110E_zps

Ford provided a convenient grounding location underneath the door sill plate next to the drivers seat so I used that.

0860E13D-DE08-48CF-BB87-801622EAC655_zps

Finally, there is an adjustment dial to fine tune the output on the fly.  I used double sided tape to mount here by the e-brake so when I am resting my arm on the center console it is at fingertip reach.  I ran the telephone style wiring in the center console out of sight.

5D2206E2-C868-4DB2-AED5-8A0B6C82F2F6_zps

And that's it.   

370F0945-EA40-4AD3-8AE9-AB31935F26B9_zps

F1F06D54-E44B-496B-BDF3-353FB82A2579_zps

Low end is greatly improved. :happy feet:   Although it can and will thump my seat, this kind of sub won't shake the ground, rattle your fillings or annoy your neighbors; rather it is intended to supplement and fill in weak bass.   It has three settings on the amp itself to help tailor it to your individual installation.  Depending on the quality of the source and volume level, I further tweak things with the fine tune adjustment dial at my finger tips.   I should have done this two years ago.  Yes, it's been sitting on the shelf that long and yes I'm a procrastinator!   :banghead: