C-Max Problems

mrobinso8

After owning our C Max for about 2 weeks and putting about 400 miles on it, the car would not star this morningt.  Battery (12v) totally dead. Roadside assistance jumped started it and I made an appointment to have it inspected next week. While others have had this problem according the roadside assistant, the dealer claims they've not seen battery problems. I have discovered that unlike other cars I've owned, the plug in ports for devices such as the GPS and radar detector remain live after the car's ignition is shut off.  Either the plugs have to be pulled or turned off, otherwise these devices I think will continue to run and draw power. I hope the battery issue is an easily fixed problem because otherwise I really like this car.  It is quiet, handles well, has thoughtful ergonomic touches, and with the back seats down has plenty of cargo space for what is otherwise a relatively small car.  We looked at Prius, including the V, and the C Max is so much more interesting, enjoyable to drive, and has good acceleration. I want very much to continue to liking this car as much as I do now so I am hoping the battery issue can be solved.  One general observation: cars are now so much more electrical than mechanical that a malfunction in one part seems more likely to affect other parts.  We certainly get more functionality with electronic-based cars but with functionality comes greater complexity in their operation and maintenance.

Samuel3rd

Please see the threads on 12 volt battery problems in the forum section on Maintenance, TSB's & Recalls. Please add your info to the thread on "dead battery roll call" and please call Ford's corporate customer service line to log your issue with Ford as well as with the dealer. I have posted the number several times on the other threads. Ford needs to hear from everyone who has had this kind of problem.

Samuel3rd

Please see the threads on 12 volt battery problems in the forum section on Maintenance, TSB's & Recalls. Please add your info to the thread on "dead battery roll call" and please call Ford's corporate customer service line to log your issue with Ford as well as with the dealer. I have posted the number several times on the other threads. Ford needs to hear from everyone who has had this kind of problem.

Thanks.  Will do as you suggest.

We have a 2013 C-MAX CE which turned up dead one morning a month after we purchased it in late October 2012 ---- no dash display upon entering or when the key was inserted and twisted.  I jump started it and took it to the dealer the next day.  They said battery and charging circuits all tested ok, there were no technical bulletins from Ford on the subject, and that they could not determine the cause of or replicate the problem.  If it happens again, I'll let Ford tow it in and check it out in its dead condition.

We have 4600 miles on it and have averaged just over 45 mpg by the car's computer, and 44 mpg by my manual calculations.  I expect that will improve with more mileage and warm weather.

I'm not thrilled about the above (computer?) glitch, but love the C-MAX and would still buy one.  It drives beautifully, is quiet, doesn't strain my back on long trips, and gets good mileage.  If I could change things, I would improve rear visibility, provide a jack for rotating tires, and include a small "valet" key in addition to the monsters they provide with the car.  We have special ordered a smaller key, but they say it still has to have a chip in it, so it won't be the size of a normal key.

• 1 month later...

Update on my CMax SE with 201A equipment package.

The battery has died five times in the four months I've had the car.

I jumped the car three times the car started after letting it sit and trying the key again.

The last time I had it towed to my dealer where it started right up for them.

They had the car for four days and they could not replicate the problem and ford has no advisories on this

So there was nothing they could do!

They did at one point replace my twelve volt battery. On one occasion they contacted ford engineering checked

That the D/C to D/C converter was charging ,ran oasis and discussion board ( what ever that is) and they rue flashed

Module to the latest calibration.

At this time I also had a problem with the fuel fill and they replaced the purge valve and cleared the codes.

The only thing I observed with my car is when the battery is dead the interior lights blink when trying to start the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really sorry to hear that some of us seem to be having problems with our new C Max car.   For whatever it's worth, other than an annoying incorrect date issue on my calendar, my SEL has been flawless!  A couple of times I thought I was having reverse issues but, than realized that it was "driver error."  Perhaps I am lucky or more patient than some but, I'll take whatever I can get and keep smiling!  I love this car!!  :) I actually compare the ride, build quality and fit and finish to a Lexus 400 LS that I owned in the 90's.  No, it is not quite that good but, it is a cool $30K less expensive as well.  I'll keep the money in my pocket, thank you.  As others have said, this is the first Ford product that I have had in 40 years and I am back for good if the reliability holds up.   If not doesn't, sayonara,  :salute: I'm back to Japan!   

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new 2013 CMax SEL factory ordered a few days before Hurricane Sandy in late October and picked up Dec. 26th. Sandy spared my Escape thank goodness because I got a decent trade-in for it. First problem was the whacky nav sys. and not recognizing the phone. Took it in for a complete reprogramming, and no further problems there. Was dead as a door nail about 3 weeks ago. Had to be towed to dealer because they didn't want anyone performing road service on a car with 1,400 miles on it. Was surprised to find there is no idiot light for the 12 volt battery, which they say may have been bad from the factory. Are you kidding me? This car tells me something about everything and no idiot light for something that can leave you dead own the road? To me this is a real design flaw and should at least be retro fitted into the vehicle health check so you get a warning.

Got my C-Max at the end of January. After 2 months and approx 1000 mile, it had a dead battery. Got it jumped and drove it to the dealer where they replaced the battery. Interesting, they didn't give me any paperwork.

I notice the clock was wrong and 4 tries at resetting didn't work so I took it back in the next morning. They didn't say what they did but the service writer showed me what I already tried. I think they reset something.

My biggest wish is that the plate on the dash read sync by Apple instead of Microsoft.

Still can't figure out what the little "lock" symbol above the hazard button is for. Dealer didn't know either.

I'm not sure about the different models, but I have a lock "symbol" on the right side of my Sony controls (opposite the hazard button).  It looks like it would be a button, but it has a small indicator light on it.  When the doors are locked the indicator light is on.  Maybe that's similar for yours.

I have two issues with my CMAX SEL. It is equipped with the automatic lift-gate and has nav with an 8 inch touch screen. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the time when I use my foot to activate the lift-gate it unlatches but does not lift. It has been to the dealer several times and they have not been able to replicate the issue. The last time they contacted Ford and they think there is a software issue that may be resolved when the update for sync comes out for the Cmax. 

The other issue I have is if the car is parked so I do not have to put it in reverse to drive the touch screen will not come on. I have to stop, put it in reverse to have the back-up camera come on and then the screen works. Sometimes I have to stop, turn the car off and restart to get the screen to come on. The dealer also thinks this is a software glitch that will be solved with the update. 

The dealer was told by Ford the update is expected in the first quarter of 2013, but we are now in the second quarter and still no update. Any word when the update is expected?

I have the SE with the powered liftgate and for awhile it took two presses of the button on the liftgate to open it. One press unlocked it and it would pop out a bit and the second second press got it to lift up. Someone on this board recommended coating the tailgate rubber seals with silicone and that worked for me. Now one press of the tailgate button and it opens and lifts fully.

I think this is key, and somehow it is getting overlooked. There is a sensor that checks for physical resistance in the movement of the tailgate. The tailgate is likely sticking slightly in its "socket", either from sticking to the gasket, or internal air vacuum of the car, or its just too tight of a fit.

This happened to me a few times when the car was brand new, but hasn't happened in the past two weeks, and my theory is that because we live at the end of a long gravel driveway, there is a fine dust on everything, all the time, and once the weatherstripping got dusty, it released the tailgate much easier. Tailgate opens well now, without going to the dealer. Ford could fix this issue by adjusting the latch mechanism so it doesn't pull the door in so tight, or putting in a longer delay between when the latch releases the door, and when the lift cylinders and the obstruction sensor become active.

Your mileage may vary!

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a problem with the hands free phone.  As I accelerate or travel at higher speeds it becomes difficult for the person on the other end of the call to understand what I am saying.  Ford has told me that this is because the noise cancellation system is interfering with the call.  Clearly the computer software needs to turn off the noise cancellation when the phone is being used.  It turns off the radio and the CD player and clearly the noise cancellation should also be turned off.  Because I commute and use the phone for business calls while commuting, this is a real problem for me.  When on the highway at normal highway speed the phone is unusable.  I have been told by Ford that the noise cancellation cannot be disconnected.  Anyone else having this problem?  

I am having a problem with the hands free phone.  As I accelerate or travel at higher speeds it becomes difficult for the person on the other end of the call to understand what I am saying.  Ford has told me that this is because the noise cancellation system is interfering with the call.  Clearly the computer software needs to turn off the noise cancellation when the phone is being used.  It turns off the radio and the CD player and clearly the noise cancellation should also be turned off.  Because I commute and use the phone for business calls while commuting, this is a real problem for me.  When on the highway at normal highway speed the phone is unusable.  I have been told by Ford that the noise cancellation cannot be disconnected.  Anyone else having this problem?  

I have heard that the new MFT update is supposed to fix this.

I stood just outside the door when we picked the cars up and tested it. I was heard just fine. And was using a normal talking voice. I have to remind myself they CAN hear me, I don't have to yell.

I am sure I get funny looks going down the road as I talk on my phone in my car all alone. I am laughing and waving a free hand (southerns talk with their hands ya know, so others can understand us).

I am sure I get funny looks going down the road as I talk on my phone in my car all alone. I am laughing and waving a free hand (southerns talk with their hands ya know, so others can understand us).

Does the SEL have a video phone?  When I'm driving and talking, my wife has to remind me to "please put your hands back on the steering wheel".  Now I have another excuse!