Battery question

GypsyBee

Hi there! I just came home with my 2015 hybrid last night. Upon driving it, I notice that it will tell me brake check/charge 100% complete but the little battery is never 100% full. It is only 3/4 full. Does it ever get full on the symbol?

Thanks for your help!

The brake charge you see showing 100% is showing the efficiency in your brake charging, not that you've charged the battery fully.  If you make more sudden stops, that efficiency will go down.  

I've seen my battery full.  When it's cold out and the gas engine is running continuously, the battery will be charged by it and braking and will top off.  A lot depends on where you drive, how you drive and the temperature. 

When the battery shows full it isn't really 100% at capacity and when it shows empty it isn't a 0% either.  It is not advisable to store a Lithium battery at 100% charge or run it empty so what you are seeing is the "usable" battery according to Ford.

The battery indicator shows full for me after going down a very long steep hill.

+1  when we're in Colorado.

When the battery gets full coming down a mountain regenerative braking shuts down and the ICE starts to provide engine braking.

Some power is always lost when charging the battery; the more charged it already is, the more power is lost. Since your drive ahead of you - when you'll accelerate, when you'll brake, where you'll turn, what hills you'll go up and down, and how fast you'll do it - is relatively unknown (and much less well known to the vehicle than to you), it operates under a set of assumptions that they hope will work well for most people. 

I think in this case, they're reserving some room for regenerating from braking, because that's essentially free power (whereas generating while you drive costs gas).