Windshield screen home-made alternative

tishpit

Unfortunately, my new C-Max is sitting out in the driveway until we can sell a really nice table that is hogging up the garage.  In south Florida, the sun is brutal... even in spring.  I tried to find a windshield screen to fit on the inside to reflect the sun and heat and preserve the dash and interior.  Any found in an automotive supply store or dept. store like Walmart were too small.  The windshield on our cars is much bigger than it may appear.  So, looked online and the cost was ridiculous... like $50 incl. shipping!  So I got creative and made one that fits perfect and reflects the heat and sun!  Here is how I did it:

Went to Lowe's and bought a roll of 48" x 25' Reflectix Insulation for about $40.  (Yeah, I know it is nearly the amount for an online, ready made one, but I am making a similar shade for our 2000 Grand Caravan out of the same roll that likewise has a huge windshield).  First, unroll the insulation on the EXTERIOR of the windshield and cut off an over-sized piece of insulation.  Have it draping over the A-pillars; you can (and will) trim it down.  Better to cut off too much, than too little... you can trim it, but cannot add to it!  Trim it to fit the outside windshield.  Then place the sheet inside the car and press against the windshield.  Carefully cut to fit, making sure to cut a slit from the top, just above the rear view mirror, and down past it to slip it over the mirror.  The mirror will help to hold it up, along with the visors.  It can even be left wide enough to cover the small windows in front of the A pillar, if you choose.  If you like, apply duct tape to the cut edges to give a more finished look (I didn't bother).  With any leftover insulation (it is like bubble wrap with foil on the outside), we will use it for packaging/shipping (I have an Etsy store) or use it as insulation or protective wrapping as needed around the house.  Turned out nice... but did a few trials before we got this figured out that did not turn out so great... but oh well... perseverance prevails!!! :happy feet:

post-2987-0-92243200-1430006504_thumb.jpg

post-2987-0-94393300-1430006524_thumb.jpg

post-2987-0-35823600-1430006534_thumb.jpg

I put DIY Reflectix window shields in my camper van a couple of years ago.  You can use the aluminum seam tape to do a more professional job on the edges than regular duct tape.   I used 3" pieces of black velcro every couple of feet to attach it to the black vinyl trim around the windshield.   You might only need that on the top part of the C-max windshield just to hold it in place.

The one for my van actually wraps around and covers both the driver's side window and front passenger window.  Mainly for privacy and keeping the interior dark in the morning.