Life of C-Max Windshield - 14 months???

Well our C-Max windshield needs replaced again - about 14 months after 1st replacement which was 14 months after purchase.  

The photo below is from the recent crack which is almost identical to what I recall of the first crack (I didn't take pics of the first).  It appears that a small stone chip near the edge of the passenger side of the windshield initiated the crack in both windshields.  The length of the crack is about 15".  We've driven the car twice since the crack and it grew about 3" each time but not while driving. Perhaps the heating of the interior / glass while parked outside in the sun (sunscreen not used) caused the crack to grow.

Fortunately I have full glass coverage as Safelite says the total cost is $426 about the same as last time.  Last time the techs that came out indicated they had replaced several C-Max windshields.  I'll ask again Saturday when they come out to replace it.

med_gallery_167_32_222706.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the windshield replaced last evening.  Safelite replaced my 2013 C-Max windshield with DW02197 with rain sensor which is listed in this PDF as for the 2015 MY. DW01911 is shown for 2013 and 2014 MY.  Here's what's interesting, Safelite to be "safe" also brought out a DW01910 windshield without rain sensor (MYs 2013 and up) in case I didn't have the rain sensor windshield so the techs wouldn't have to waste an hour getting it if I didn't need the one with rain sensor.

A computer generated PO shows the following for pricing:

DW02197

List Price = $585

Selling Price = $216.45

Labor = $124

Kit = $30

DW01910

List Price = $704.60

Selling Price = $260.70

Labor = $124

Kit = $30

Why would the windshield with rain sensor be less expensive?  Also, 14 months ago when I had the windshield replaced with DW01911, the List Price was $715 and the Selling Price was $265.  I wonder if the pricing for the 2197 and 1910 are reversed or is 2015 windshield (2197) different in some way from the 1911 windshield other than price.

Is it in the same place?  Maybe they should look for a burr or something at that spot that's causing the crack.

Good point. I do seem to recall that there was something around the frame that the black plastic moulding snaps / clips into. I'll watch / take pics of the install.

There's nothing around the windshield that I could see that could cause / exacerbate a chip to turn into a long crack.  The windshield sets on top of about a 1/4-3/8" of rubber sealant.  

This time in breaking the rubber seal between the frame and windshield the techs used a device with several rollers with a cutting string attached to the device.  The device was suctioned to the inside of the windshield.  A loop of the string was forced through the rubber seal.  The tech then pulled more of the loop of string out such that he could place the string under the outside edge of the windshield against the seal.  Then by ratcheting the device to put tension on the string, the string began to cut the seal moving along the windshield.  The tech re-positioned the device several times to complete the cutting of the seal.  

On the previous installation the tech used a knife like device to manually cut the seal.  This device scraped the painted surface (not the exterior) in several areas especially at the base of the windshield mounting.  The tech did apply a silver / grayish "paint" to the scrapes and there was no signs of rust from the scrapes after 14 months. 

• 2 years later...

Grrrrr... now its our turn.  The car was parked in a lot for a couple of hours today and when I got in there was this crack coming up from the lower left corner.  I can't see any chips and I'm quite sure it wasn't there when I parked.  Seems to have cracked for no reason - cloudy day in the 60s so not much heat.

• 1 month later...

Grrrrr... now its our turn.  The car was parked in a lot for a couple of hours today and when I got in there was this crack coming up from the lower left corner.  I can't see any chips and I'm quite sure it wasn't there when I parked.  Seems to have cracked for no reason - cloudy day in the 60s so not much heat.

Got it replaced today - aftermarket glass, XYG brand, says:

XYG

LAMINATED

SAFETAY GLASS

DOT-563 AS-1 M-852

DW 01910 SOLAR

.          4 8  .

10       1

ACOUSTIC

I went with the shop that my Ford dealer uses.  Original quote was $269.54 - paid the $100 insurance deductible.  Two other quotes were $400 and $245 - all "in shop".  Another customer said he had gotten a quote on-line for has car at like $600 "in the driveway" but when calling on the phone got it down to $300 or something.  Anyway, shop around.  My installer said he had done around 50 C-Max windshields (they service a bunch of dealerships) but no roofs!  They had the windshield in stock (!) and he checked the black band at the top to see that it was the same (someone on here had a problem with it being too narrow).  So, 1 hour 45 minutes later its all in, cured and looks great.  Just hope it stays that way!

• 2 years later...