Windows rolled themselves today

Twice I have asked this to be done, told twice done. Then told can not do. Even provided forum info. 

My dealer said he couldn't do it.  I had a Ford rep help me.  Told me to go to another dealer who she said was top notch and said he could do it.  Went there.  Then was told they could not do it.  I left a message on the Ford reps machine but did not get a return call. I kind of gave up.  If my counting is correct, it happened to me 6 times.  I had put some rubber things on to help stop it but they came off.  Am going to try another thing to prevent it.  This key window thing is really is a poor design.  

I go dancing. I use one of those key chains that split in half so I can keep the important keys with me when I dance so they don't get stolen. It also helps for valet. It is probable that the geometry makes it worse for me.  The second dealer told me that in most Fords it can be disabled in the menus.

I don't understand a single instance where I would actually WANT this to happen?

I can explain how I use the Hybrid SE version (in other words, lock and unlock buttons on a physical key fob top, with no Intelligent Access fob or pushbutton start):

Car is parked outside for hours on a hot, sunny day.

As you approach the car, press to unlock and hold the 'unlock' button so all the windows roll down.

Heat trapped inside begins to escape before anyone opens a door.

I can explain how I use the Hybrid SE version (in other words, lock and unlock buttons on a physical key fob top, with no Intelligent Access fob or pushbutton start):

As you approach the car, press to unlock and hold the 'unlock' button so all the windows roll down.

+1. I do this all the time. It helps.

• 9 months later...

+1. Me too. My observation has been that I need to hold the button down for a long time to get the windows to go down. So long that I don't think unintentional button pressing is the cause of the windows rolling themselves down which has happened twice to me.

Ditto. Plus, I live in a condo complex and my home is too far from my garage for the transmitter to connect anyway. It just happened again the other day. Good thing the car wasn't outside, as it has been raining.

I've heard this may be connected to the same 12-volt gremlins that cause dead batteries and radios not shutting off--but it happened most recently right AFTER I got the two latest C-Max software updates done. (For that matter, the radio-staying-on thing never happened before the updates, but it has now happened after them.)

I really, really, really love the way the car drives and feels, and it's thrifty too; there's nothing out there I like more. And yet I'm tempted to get rid of it, despite the stomach-churning depreciation. My complaints are all minor issues--a couple of window-rolling incidents, a couple of dead-battery incidents, door pillars creaking like a clapped-out hooptie, cargo area shedding its trim like a molting reptile, crashy front suspension, and a pair of noises that sound like failing bearings (OK, that last one is maybe not such a minor issue). But cumulatively, all this stuff on a car with under 40k miles does not inspire confidence.

In my less charitable moments, I think of Ford as the new VW circa 2003: great to drive, affordable to buy, and nice inside...but the quality of engineering, testing, assembly, and dealer service falls short.

Edited by HotPotato

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind that the feature is there, but I wish they had the analogue, "Global Express Up" to go with "Global Express Down" .. I have to hold on to the unlock button for at least 5 seconds before it activates.

I had to pay the dealer a small fee in order to get them to reprogram the car to turn off the DRLs in my "fleet" issued C-MAX - with that build the headlights were on as long as the vehicle was "ready" no matter what position the dash light controls were in (sort of like a motorcycle headlight).  I found this to be really obnoxious when I would idle/park the car someplace at night, so for me it was worth $35 to turn it off and I recognize that their time is worth something.

On the plus side, since the service manager knew about it, and knew how to do that I feel that I've found a service location that I can trust with my C-MAX.

I did not know this feature was there.  Very nice on a hot day in a parking lot.  Thx

• 3 months later...

I have had it happen several times in our garage and the dealer had no answer.  Saturday, it let them down with good old Seattle rain.  The little plastic trough between the seat and the door had a half inch of rain on the drivers side and 3/4 inch of rain on the passenger side.

Now we know from this forum it is the global feature. I plan on having this feature disabled as soon as possible.  It is more likely to do harm with this fob then good.  It's a wonder nothing was stolen from our car. 

I hate this fob, I regualrly hit the panic button when turning off the car.  In the earlier models the panic button was somewhate protected by a ridge and it didn't happen. 

• 1 year later...

:rant: My windows all rolled down today - and it was raining!  Even the center console got wet.  Its quite possible the unlock button got held down while I was doing  demolition work but I'm surprised I was close enough to the car.  I know some folks find it useful but I think its a lame feature.  Now I have to go burn a bunch of gas just to dry out the car.  :rant2:  Does anyone know if you can turn the "feature" off with Forscan or do I have to go to the dealer?  My mother was right - "these modern inconveniences" she would often say!

Edited by SnowStorm

I tried to get a dealer to do it. Even went to a second dealer with the help of a Ford rep. It may not be possible on a 2013 SE.  Apparently other Fords vechicles are able to do it in the menus.  http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/503-windows-rolled-themselves-today/page-3?do=findComment&comment=51006

I dried my car out with a cheap space heater and a pretty big window fan and some dry towels, though you may have it worse than me.  A good hot day helps.

I feel it is very important to really dry it good to avoid musty moldy ness.

I fixed my key by putting adhesive felt pads around the unlock part of the key.

Edited by obob