Dead Mouse smell

5thgroup

2014 C-Max Hybrid, had it since September, 9200 miles. GREAT vehicle except: Monday, when leaving a shopping center, there was a loud banging and rattle coming from (apparently) the vent system. Immediately shut off A/C and fan, then restarted fan with no noise, restarted A/C with no noise.

Wednesday morning, after a hot Tuesday (90+) noted a very strong dead mouse smell the second the car was started. No doubt what it was, as we had a major problem with mice in our previous '06 Honda Civic. We park in our driveway, but the garage would be just as likely to have mice.

Went to our dealer, where the general response was a shoulder shrug, followed by a quote of at least $100 to get in to the blower to remove the corpse.

Here are a few questions:

Is the blower downstream of the cabin air filter?

Is there any way to block mice from entering?

Anybody else have this problem?

Anybody got an answer?

The current solution is for me to go to the car, open all the windows, start the blower until the air has been cleared out, THEN call my wife for the day's trip.

We live in the California Gold Country foothills, where it is VERY dry.

Edited by 5thgroup

Welcome aboard.

I find it hard to believe a mouse entered the HVAC system from the exterior of the vehicle.unless it chewed through what looks like a semi rigid, insulated type cover over on the firewall and there are openings into the fresh air plenum area.    I read your post while Safelite was installing a new windshield in my C-Max.  They had the intake air shroud / cover off at the base of the windshield which covers the fresh air intake plenum.  The shroud is sealed and there are screens over the intakes. With the shroud off I could see no visible openings.  

If a mouse made it in through the fresh air plenum, there appears to be a inlet air door actuator that can likely blend recirculated air / fresh air to the cabin air filter.  So, it seems possible that a mouse could make it to the blower via the re-circulation path.

To me a more likely path for a mouse to enter the car is through an opening that may not be properly sealed - electrical, heater circuit, ac circuit and so forth. Once inside it would likely be easy for a mouse to follow an outlet vent into the HVAC box.

I'd at least remove the cabin air filter (search for procedure) and get a mirror and light and look inside.  You might see it.  :)

That's a dicey situation.  The dealer is not trying to get Ford to pay for it.  I suspect it is more profitable to bill the owner.  Perhaps in the quest to make the car lighter, mice have an easier time of chewing through things.

At some point, maybe one of those pipe endoscope cameras would help.

• 7 years later...

Believe the guy when he says a mouse got into the Ford C-Max. One got into my cabin fan and now it shudders when turned past level 3. It is now dead because he smells bad. So Memorial Day, I get to pull out the stupid fan access and remove the critter.