Accessories powered via USB or 12V

Hi all,

I bought a dashcam recently and I've noticed that it stays powered on for a while after I shut my car off and lock it. I've been unplugging it because I don't want to risk draining my battery for no reason.

My questions are, how long until accessories powered by usb or 12V are turned off? And do I need to worry about waking up in the morning to a dead battery?

Thanks in advance

Edited by SillyBear

I have a dash cam, too. Chelyabinsk wouldn't have been the same without them.

For a while, I had mine plugged in to the cargo area socket, which is on 24/7. No issues with the car, but I only have ~2.6 hrs of recording time, so it had lots of parking lot footage, and very little driving. I then moved power to the console. Now, the camera chimes when I open the door as if to acknowledge power-on.

It still records in 2 minute files, and has an onboard battery. I don't find partial files, so I suspect that when the console socket goes dead, it runs on the internal battery until that 2-minute segment is done, then shuts down. Working on the car, it won't chime every time I open the door unless enough time's passed.

I suspect yours is staying on using internal power, too. See what happens when you unplug it after you know its on.

HAve fun,

Frank

Is anyone aware of a way to force the car to cut power to the outlets after locking the car? Having my camera stay powered for 15 to 30 mins after is really making it difficult to sort through my driving videos. Also videos of the car parked are taking up lots of space on my SD card.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...