Stuck in Park

Bill-N

Yesterday, the car got stuck in park and had to be towed to the dealer.  I tried several times to get it to operate but to no avail; shift lever wouldn't budge.

Today, it's "fixed."  Per the repair order: "found shift cable disconnected, checked for wear per warranty requirements, none found at this time."

There's no explanation as to what caused the the cable to become disconnected, or what can be done to keep the problem from recurring.  One possibility is that a cotter pin, c-clip, or some other retainer went missing when the transmission was replaced in January.

There's no explanation as to what caused the the cable to become disconnected, or what can be done to keep the problem from recurring.  One possibility is that a cotter pin, c-clip, or some other retainer went missing when the transmission was replaced in January.

Yes there is.  It's called dealer ineptness. I doubt they want to put that on the service order. :)

At the center console gear shifting mechanism :

There appears to be a retainer of some sort to hold the cable in place.  But there would be no need to do anything at this end when replacing the transmission.

At the transmission:

There is an adjuster mechanism on the cable end that attaches to the transmission shift lever arm at the transmission.  It appears that the mechanism likely snaps in place over the ball stud on the shift lever arm (no retainers shown).   The mechanism has an "adjuster lock" that can be pulled up / pushed down apparently to release / hold the cable.  There is a slider that can be moved (maybe spring loaded) to hold the adjuster lock in the down position.  IMO, this is where the problem occurred as the cable / mechanism would have to be detached to remove the transmission and then reattached and likely readjusted when the new transmission was put in.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Yesterday, the car got stuck in park and had to be towed to the dealer.  I tried several times to get it to operate but to no avail; shift lever wouldn't budge.

Today, it's "fixed."  Per the repair order: "found shift cable disconnected, checked for wear per warranty requirements, none found at this time...

bummer,  glad it was an "easy fix"  and not something internal...

Hello Bill-N,

I agree with Marc Smith, and I’m also glad to learn that the dealer resolved your concern. Please keep an eye on it, and if you need anything don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’ll be happy to explore the available options to assist at that time.

Have a great day!  :)

Tricia