Cabin heat and EV

littlebitfarm

This morning on my way to work I was sitting at a stop light, thinking that the EV should have turned on by now. Turned the heat from 68º down to 62º. As soon as I hit 62º the EV kicked on! I've tried driving without the heat on but then the car starts fogging up. It was about 34º out and I was probably about 1.5 miles into my drive. I guess that is how sensitive this car is to the demands we put on it.

This morning on my way to work I was sitting at a stop light, thinking that the EV should have turned on by now. Turned the heat from 68º down to 62º. As soon as I hit 62º the EV kicked on! I've tried driving without the heat on but then the car starts fogging up. It was about 34º out and I was probably about 1.5 miles into my drive. I guess that is how sensitive this car is to the demands we put on it.

There is a MyView gauge you can configure to display total amount of KW that the accessories consume. Would be interesting to know what the threshold is for the accessories to trigger the ICE.

I think the Hybrid just doesn't have electric heat, though the Energi does. The user manual mentions how the Hybrid has to start the engine and bring it to operating temps, especially when heat is needed, but the Energi will heat the cabin using battery power when it's in EV mode, as needed. But it would be very intersting to see what the electrical demands are for heat on an Energi, I suspect it's larger than you might think, perhaps 3-5kW.

Edited by MikeB

I think the Hybrid just doesn't have electric heat, though the Energi does. The user manual mentions how the Hybrid has to start the engine and bring it to operating temps, especially when heat is needed, but the Energi will heat the cabin using battery power when it's in EV mode, as needed. But it would be very intersting to see what the electrical demands are for heat on an Energi, I suspect it's larger than you might think, perhaps 3-5kW.

You are probably right, the only reference I see to electric heat is for the Energi. I know my TDI has electric heat that warms the cabin until the diesel engine can come up to temp.

The Jetta Sportwagen TDI I used to have would take about 14 miles for the coolant temperature to reach normal when the air temperature was in the single digits. My commute was 15 minutes long. Without that 1000W supplemental electric cabin heater I'd never have heat in the morning on the way to work.

The Jetta Sportwagen TDI I used to have would take about 14 miles for the coolant temperature to reach normal when the air temperature was in the single digits. My commute was 15 minutes long. Without that 1000W supplemental electric cabin heater I'd never have heat in the morning on the way to work.

You have a Mark V?