MPG to Temp

nsteblay

Interesting Data there. So it looks like you lose 2.2mpg for each 10*F drop in temp.  In the Testing I did over 2yrs ago I got  2mpg for each 10*F drop.

cmax grill cover1

Under ideal conditions, Level, no wind and 80*F I see 72mpg at 40mph and 47mpg at 70mph with Grill Covers, Wheel Covers, ScanGaugeII, 50PSI Tires Pressure, GasPods and Premium Gas.  This curve isn't a straight line. :) 

C Max Grill Cover Installation Instructions 11 13 Page 3 Of 4

Wheel well cover

ScanGaugeII

Edited by ptjones

Yes. Eliminating variables for MPH test is the only way. My data shows a correlation but is impacted, probably by mostly temperature.

And route.

Effectively, I measure at 30 MPH and 50MPH average speeds,based on route length/transit time. The slope is higher at lower speed, more like 3MPG for every 10F, and closer to your 2.4MPG for 10F at the higher speed.

HAve fun,

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my version of the mpg vs ambient air temperature graph.  I compiled the statistics for roughly a year, from around August 2013 through July 2014.  I took the measurements during my morning commute of around 8.6 miles to work.  (I chose to do it then because I almost always go straight to work; during my evening commute I often run side-errands, etc.).

post-142-0-40058400-1433704623_thumb.jpg

Interesting... I see a just hint of the shift your data shows right around freezing!

post-1320-0-33468600-1431029850_thumb.jpg

If you extend your warm weather trend to lower temperatures, all the cold weather data falls below the trend line. I wonder if that's fuel reformulation, or something in the car's warm-up/run temp requirements? I see the same thing, but I also put on snow tires... this for a 15 mile, 30 mph commute, both AM and PM.

Have fun,

Frank

BINGO!!

Paul Jones has done a lot on aftermarket block heaters, as well as the OEM, which is $$$ to install. We should all have them, but my Ohio-sold car does not. Its taken me 2 years to figure out how to get around the engine's need for heat (much less mine), and I'm ready to install one.

The problem is that aftermarket heaters either external, or radiator hose inserts. The former are less effective than you'd like, the latter are very effective, but there are warranty concerns cutting into coolant hoses. No good options.

Have fun,

Frank

FORD block heater is the best solution operationally, but a pain to install.  BTW my plug for the FORD Block Heater at the block isn't making a good connection now after having the new Trans installed, not looking forward to working on that.  The simple solution is the Oil Pan Heater, but there isn't much room to install one. My pic is of a NAPA oil pan heater which was to big. I will try to take pics when I work on block heater.

I'm using the wolverine Model 9 at 125 Watts/120vac, but it only raises temp by 20*F. The combination of Oil Pan Heater and Block Heater I get a 60*F rise in WT.  There is a fairly smooth spot on the back of block that another Model 9 pan heater could be placed to act like a block heater. :)  Paul

Oil Pan Heater

CMAX BH

Rear side ICE Block

ICE Block Heater installed

Rear side of Block

Edited by ptjones

I hate to be a smart ass but a garage works great.

Actually Garage+ ICE Block Heater+ Oil Pan Heater much better, been able to start at 130*F so you don't have to wait to get to 128*F before you can get in EV Mode.  Now if I could only get to 202*F before I started for max efficiency! LOL :) 

Paul 

The winter decline at a different slope is probably a combination of:

• winter gas blend
  • increased rolling resistance due to snow/ice on road

The increased air density should be factored into the slope of the warmer temp calculations as should the changes in ICE warm up time at different temperatures.

• 4 weeks later...

The "Automatic" brand obd-ii adapter with onboard ram and its own gps that nsteblay used to generate data is/was carried at Target stores.   Although the second generation adapter was just introduced, it is already clearance at some (not most) Targets.  It may be the smaller Target stores that clearance them now.  Regular $100, clearance $30.   They are stocked in electronics department, in with the Wemo wifi switches and other home automation.

http://www.target.com/p/automatic-car-adapter-car-apps-2nd-generation/-/A-18828576

The "automatic" has its own iphone / android apps.  It reads and resets trouble codes like most obd-ii adapters and software.  But it also uploads location data to the phone when the app is run in the car, and then uploads the data to dashboard.automatic.com  where the graphs are produced.   The data can be downloaded to Excel or other spreadsheet.  

Their "dashboard" website also shows each trip on a map with time, distance and mpg info for each segment (key on / key off), as well as whether there was hard acceleration or braking or speed over a set amount (e.g. 70mph).    I just got a clearance adapter and am enjoying the mpg and trip information - as well as realizing how much time I spend in the car.   I wish I had one of these when my sons were new drivers.  They have a demo at their website.

I was unable to connect the Automatic adapter to Torque Lite, but will try again, along with Forscan.  If anyone can confirm it works with other obdii software please post. 

I've been keeping track of every trip since Jan 1 using the Automatic ODBII.

Here is a graph of my MPG / Mean Temp F

Definite correlation between temperature and MPG

May I dare paraphrase your results? 

Once the ambient goes below 50 degrees Far. it would be sensible to start running a grill cover? 

Are you running ethanol free fuel?

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

Edited by cheezy

• 4 weeks later...

You have a C-Max Hybrid in Poland? Thought the hybrid was a US-only model... or do you have a US-spec car?

I suspect if the ambient temps are very high, the battery may avoid high charge levels, as the combination of high ambient temperature and full charge shortens Li=ion battery life. There are cooling fans for the battery; are they running? Perhaps a driving style that features a lot of short burns and glides, so you only use the available charge? Won't work on long hills....

Have fun,

Frank

Normal driving from home to work - 2miles. At 70F it was 40mpg. How can I erase EV+ settings? It turns on 3 times on this 2 miles (EV+ settings from 4500miles - can it by a problem ?? ). I od not hear any fans. But on self test ODB they works fine. There is no obd trauble codes. 

My C-max is from US like my other cars since 2005 :). Cars from US are better :D. 

Edited by Tomasz Karwowski