Customer Satisfaction Program 15B04

MichaelM

Time to check ETIS!

Sure enough, 15B04 joins 12M02 and 14B03..."15B04 - 12 VOLT BATTERY TEST AND MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATE"

As an SEL owner, whose battery's been fine, I'll try to keep the queue open for all those SE owners out there.

Too bad etis still thinks my 2013 Hybrid is a 2014 Energi... I'm thankful for small favors.

HAve fun,

Frank

Hi. My cmax is also referred to as 2014 Energy when in fact it is a 2013 Hybrid. Mine is also listed as needing this recall. What exactly is it going to do that would be a benefit. My battery has been fine except when parked with radio on and car in accessory mode it gives the warning and turns everything off. Listed as customer satisfaction. Anyone know?

Thanks for posting. Haven't looked at the Etis site in a while. Just got my car out of Ford shop a few days ago for a leaking rear main. They didn't mention this recall

Edited by rajames2

My April 2013 build SE has the 15B04 (along with three others!).  Maybe I should take it in - but I want to know what it entails.  Don't want to "magically" loose something else like Lifetime stats or ???

ETIS also shows mine as 2014 Energy on the "Vehicle Line:" - might be a catch all for all C-Max models.

Or it could be that my "Hybrid" is really a "Non-Plug-In Energi". :lol: After all, the Energi is the true "Hybrid" (uses two types of fuel).  So, calling the "Hybrid" a "NPINRG" makes more sense!  You gotta love semantics.

It was only issued on Monday, so the customer letters should be following shortly. The instructions consolidate and instruct the dealer to check all of the previous known causes, as well as the battery's condition and programming of some modules. I'm not sure if there's anything new or it's just all known causes under one heading.

Wow, dealer tells me my VIN is NOT covered by this CSP.  Gotta wonder why not.  by Manufacture date? or the reprogram power train control module already done in a different recall?

Some possibilities:

1. It is early. Your dealer might not have notification yet either.

2. This is NOT a recall, but a 'Customer Satisfaction Program'. Recall involves Ford notifying the government of a 'defect' and the government, after investigation and confirmation of the defect, publishing the notice, CSPs do not.

3. You have a C-MAX Energi, not a C-MAX Hybrid.

4. If a specific component from a specific supplier is identified/suspected, it might only be present in certain models, Equipment Groups, or options. Example: the base AM/FM/CD in the SE Hybrids with equipment groups 200 and 201 is not the same radio as the SE Hybrid with group 202 or 203, nor any of the SEL models. (All C-MAX Energis are SELs) 

Enter US vehicle VIN here to see active Recalls, Customer Satisfaction Programs, and Field Service Bulletins for US vehicles.

No account registration is necessary*

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

*In fact, the 15B04 does appear here by VIN lookup when not logged in, but does not show up when we login to our account with the same VIN.

Enter US vehicle VIN here to see active Recalls, Customer Satisfaction Programs, and Field Service Bulletins for US vehicles.

*In fact, the 15B04 does appear here by VIN lookup when not logged in, but does not show up when we login to our account with the same VIN.

15B04 shows up on ETIS, owners.ford before logging in by entering VIN and on owners.ford after logging in to my account.

Have they finally, after three years, found the solution to THE problem?

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM
In some of the affected vehicles, certain electronic control modules may not time out/power down
correctly when the vehicle is not in use, keeping the onboard module communication network
active.  This may cause the 12 volt battery to discharge after being parked overnight or for a short
period of time, resulting in a no start condition.

I looked up my car and it is listed.  Then, I called my Ford dealer to make am appointment to have 15B04 performed and was told that it's a Ford Motor Co issue and that the dealership had nothing to do with it.  A customer satisfaction matter.  

Anyone have more on this?  I can't call Ford until Tuesday.

Thanks.

I looked up my car and it is listed.  Then, I called my Ford dealer to make am appointment to have 15B04 performed and was told that it's a Ford Motor Co issue and that the dealership had nothing to do with it.  A customer satisfaction matter.  

Thanks.

Yikes, my assumption is that Ford reimburses authorized dealers for the work, correct?

Thanks.

Two possibilities here

(1) the person you spoke to at your dealer is clueless

OR

(2) the time has finally come for long discussed C-Max gathering in Michigan - all of us who need 15B04 drive up and have a nice lunch while the update is done on our vehicles

I vote for (1), although (2) would be fun.

Thanks.

Take a look at the attachment to this post      

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4371-dead-battery-for-the-fifth-time/page-9?do=findComment&comment=57043

Today is our 25th wedding anniversary party and the C-Max was dead in the garage.  Started right up with our trusty Black and Decker model JUS300B portable jumper, but hope 15B04 can help fix the problem  Last time was on 7/3/14...the morning of the start of a cross country trip, and today was the biggest gap between dead batteries.  This car knows the worst times to die  :sad:

Scheduled a dealer appt for this Weds - wish us luck.

Scott in Denver

Edited by ScottWally

• 2 weeks later...

I had 15B04 done today.  Dealer found chaffed wire in the driver door harness and repaired. BTW, I've never had the dead battery issue.  Also, the following modules were reprogrammed with the latest calibration: PCM, ABS, TCM, DC/DC converter, IPC, GWM, and FCDIM.  

Note that the GateWay Module in the module communications network was reprogrammed.  The GWM acts as a central gateway to translate messages for all 4 vehicle CAN networks, and vice versa. It acts as a gateway for messages on the HEV High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) to the other 3 networks. 

Has any unrelated feature changed with all that re-programming - like the Lifetime MPG/EV Miles screen on power down being removed?

Did they test your 12V battery and if so, what was the result?  As I experiencd recently, the "problem" can be happening without you knowing it if the voltage is still high enough to "start" the car.  In my case the battery was down to 8.x volts but it still started.  I only knew it was so low because my voltage alarm was going off.  Of course these deep discharges are hard on the battery.