Customer Satisfaction Program 15B04

MichaelM

Lifetime summary is still there with EV miles / regen miles / fuel use mpg.  Don't know about the power down yet.  Battery was tested and was okay.  Our experience with car batteries after 9 years in AZ, is that the batteries last about 3-4 years in the Phoenix area.  So, I'll likely need a new battery in the C-Max within a year or so.  So, if I had low voltage because of the wire chaffing and my battery now failed after 2 1/2 years, I'd consider the failure "normal" due to AZ climate

The starting voltage threshold might be as low as around 6 V (5.95 below).   Once the car is started, the DTCs and voltage thresholds for different voltage systems are shown below.   The 12 V battery voltage entry positions for most sensor monitoring OBD functions is 11 V, for more critical functions 8 V and for critical hybrid components 6 V.  

P0560:
 5V power supply out of range (4.75V > x) OR (x > 5.25V)
 3.3V power supply out of range (3.46V < x) OR (x < 3.13V)
 1.5 V power supply out of range (1.57V < x) OR (x < 1.42V)
P0562:
 Battery voltage when vehicle is running and in a torque producing state < 8.2V
 KAPWR voltage out of range (x > 19.0V) OR (x < 5.95V)
P0563:
 Battery voltage too high> 19.0V
P0A23:
 Generator sensor reference voltage out of range > 6V or < 4.50V for 500ms.
P0A18:
 Motor current sensor reference voltage out of range > 6V or < 4.50V for 500ms.
P1633
 Voltage below 6.0V for 20 seconds, or 5 seconds during module self-test

Gee... I thought I had checked everywhere before I put my post in Batteries.

I got my 15B04 letter this week. I hope it just duplicates what the dealer did two months ago on the night before my appointment to deal with a faulty radio.

By the way, thank you all for your discussion on fixing apparently dead batteries; five minutes on a battery charger did the trick. I now have a portable jumper battery.

I wouldn't assume your dealer knew what to do two months ago -- at the very least you might want to check that service order and see if they reprogrammed any modules (they may well have checked wiring but I'm guessing the module fix only came to light when the CSP came out).  Anyone with a battery problem should have that programming done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dropped my car off for 15B04 (and another ECU repgrogram which showed up on the dealer's computer). Picked it up a couple days later. Nowhere in the paperwork did the dealer specify what they found or what they did: no info re the status of connectors, battery, wire chafing, etc. Shouldn't they be able to report on what they did? If I were a cynic, I'd think they took Ford's money and didn't do anything.

• 11 months later...

Finally had 15B04 done a couple of weeks ago (along with recalls 14E02 and 14S21).  I purposely waited to the last minute because I was sure the 12 volt battery was occasionally being run down - though still capable of turning on the car.  The hope was that it would end up weak enough to get replaced.  Well, I guess it worked - the battery was replaced - but I almost blew it because I called on the last day (May 31) just before 5 pm!  He was able to go ahead and enter the ticket that day and get it covered under warranty and then did the work a few days later.  He said the wiring was OK and they did the reprogramming.  "The Enterprise" is now all up-to-date.

Although I was told that nothing would get "reset", I found the following items cleared: lifetime regen, lifetime brake score (I did take pictures before turning the car in), time and date, EV+ locations, MyView, dimmer setting...  Mostly no big deal but these programmers really should get their act together and write updates that don't blow away a bit of "customer satisfaction".