Ford C-MAX Navigation

LKnutson

We love our C-MAX, but the navigation is terrible!  It gets confused all the time.  Someone said we needed to upgrade it.  The car is less than a year old.  Has anyone done this, and did it help?  Did you have to pay for upgrading?  We take our old garmin and its way more dependable!

It tries to turn us off main routes right in the middle of a city.  When we do as directed it will take us in a circle back and realize it was wrong.

This has happened my times when we know where we're going, and after a couple of tries to take us off route it says continue on.  There have been many times where if we didn't know where we were going we would have been in trouble.

Interesting - I use mine all over the SE and have never had any troubles.  When I fist got the car I would use google maps through bluetooth and decided to try the cars nag on a whim of exploration.  I liked it so much I still use it on a regular basis.  I would try getting an updated sim card.  Perhaps that would solve your problem?

I find the Nav in my C-Max is better than the one I had in my Toyota, but still really isn't the greatest.  It's only 2 months old but doesn't have a highway that is 8 months old on it, so I'll need map updates when they are available.  It tries for the quickest route but doesn't succeed.  I do like that it updated me about road issues this weekend and offered to reroute me around the problem. 

I generally use Waze with my smartphone when I really need to get somewhere in the quickest time possible.  Now time to finally order a decent cell phone mount.

i don't have any other ideas for the OP but am hopeful someday all cars will have a better solution, like Android Auto: http://www.wsj.com/articles/android-auto-review-the-smartphone-finally-finds-its-rightful-home-in-the-car-1432641601

His car’s $1,500 in-dash navigation system is riddled with menus so complex and unintuitive they should require a pilot’s license. So instead of keeping his eyes on the road, he splits his time between fidgeting with the screen and fighting with the robotic woman’s voice emanating from the dashboard. (She usually wins.)

It gets worse. Lately, he has taken to driving around with his smartphone in his lap instead. Google Maps and Waze are easier and more up-to-date and accurate than his fancy system, he tells me. As if I didn’t know.

We love our C-MAX, but the navigation is terrible!  It gets confused all the time.  Someone said we needed to upgrade it.  The car is less than a year old.  Has anyone done this, and did it help?  Did you have to pay for upgrading?  We take our old garmin and its way more dependable!

The upgrade is to the "A6" maps, which are the latest. It will not help any issues with the car turning ways you don't intend. All it does it add the latest map information.

You might try checking the settings on the nav - there are some specific settings for "eco" modes, and that sort of thing that might be changing the routing.

When we first got the car it would get "lost" and suddenly show us on streets that, frankly, just didn't exist.  We came in and they reprogrammed it (there is a TSB or two on this, which you can find via a forum search) and all was well.  After that it has never had a problem, navigating all over Florida.

But if the OP isn't getting that same symptom I don't know what to tell them.  That particular thing is VERY easy to see -- it's as if your NAV has gone brain dead (it happened to me back to the dealership and I was unfamiliar with the route -- luckily I was able to piece together from memory where to turn.  So I guess my old brain hasn't *quite* gotten friend yet).

My daughter lives in Birmingham so I frequently drive I65.  There is one stretch of road where the GPS gets about 30 meters off showing us on a parallel road.  That last about 15-30 minutes then it resolves.  

That may be due to a bad GPS Module.  See my YouTube video (nearly 9,000 views - wish I had monetized it!) on this:

My daughter lives in Birmingham so I frequently drive I65.  There is one stretch of road where the GPS gets about 30 meters off showing us on a parallel road.  That last about 15-30 minutes then it resolves.  

Mine has problems with it being about 200 feet off, but only when going north south. East west seems to be accurate. I plan to take it in for this when I get time. It is an intermittent problem and doesn't always happen, or it corrects itself.

• 1 month later...

Um, that's not nearly enough information.  Are you saying your dealer wanted you to buy a vehicle with the MFT navigation system in it but only had the A3 chip?  Or are you saying you ALREADY have the navigation system but your dealer only has the A3 chip?  (You can't "upgrade" your car to the MFT navigation system -- even if you already have MFT.  You either have the navigation system installed or you don't, and it's only done at the factory).

If it's a new car purchase I'd definitely just get the one with the A3 because you can, on eBay, pay less than $40 for a much more current version.

Current car navigation systems will never be anywhere near flawless.  The French Peugeot we were driving recently in Italy had us ford a river - seriously!  It is a multiple edged imperfect technological tool to be used with caution (& patience) - as we all know. It can never be more than 'works great most of the time'.

The GPS component is imperfect and especially vulnerable to satalite constellations & blockages - the satelites are constantly transiting in many directions and never in a perfect configuration for every person at every location at every point in time; driving in tree cover, past buildings.............. very complex real time technology involved.

The mapping component is also fraught with hazard (updates, local nuances .......), thus we crossed a 1/4 mile of rocky river bed and made it through a 15' long (6" deep) summer rivulet in Italy - a seasonal 'road' crossing.  (sweat dripping from three passenger brows)  And we almost made it to dinner on time!

Nick

PS  It was also interesting in Italy to see how well the time/telemetry component of the real time GPS worked going through very long tunnels.  We exited tunnels to find ourselves either 'ahead' on the map if we drove 'too slow'; or 'behind' on the map if we drove 'too fast'.   ;) ('Have we passed our exit, or is it still ahead ?')  ((We had to rely on hard copy maps & preprinted route directions many times - ignoring the NAV system:  the reality of finding ones way.))

PSS  Very pleased with our C-Max SEL NAV.

Edited by C-MaxSea

Sorry for the delay, everyone! Did those of you having an issue get it resolved? If not, let me know and I'll help! 

My car had the A3 SIM card and the dealership said I should use sync services instead. Any thoughts?

If you're looking for a new map card, #beardown, they can be purchased via our provider, HERE, at www.Navigation.com. However, if you're having other concerns, please provide the details here, or you can always PM them to me. :)

Rebecca

Edited by FordIVTteam

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but the $149 for the Ford update is too much, when you consider my TomTom still gets free updates.  Plus, I now have an iPhone6 with Google map which can do more than the TomTom or Ford system and for free.

Now, I like having the Ford navigation available when I need directions and it is rare that it is inaccurate.  And regarding new roads, I know where the new local roads are and just ignore the gps when using the new roads.

Don't you need to pay for data or whatever to use your smart phone as a NAV?

You can't put a price on having it right there on your dash.

Honestly---I've used Garmin, Magellan and Audi MMI and they've all screwed up at times (Garmin wanted me to do a U-turn on an Interstate when I could see my destination ahead of me)

It would be nice to be able to change the voices (by the way the word ROUTE is properly pronounced "root", not "rowt"!!!)

Good for you -- I bought my A5 a year ago for around $40 on eBay as well (I'll probably skip A6 and just pick up A7 next year).

Paying dealership prices is ridiculous (actually, even $40 is too high for something that costs about 30 cents even with the map data licensing fee considered).