Possible C-Max owner seeking advice

erica

Hi there -

Joined the group to get some advice on possible C-Max purchase. I was hoping to find a used '14 SEL (or SE) but not a lot of inventory in my area, so I'm looking at the possibility of buying new.  With my local dealer incentives ($1,500 off) plus X-Plan and TrueCar pricing seems like I could get a good deal at the moment.

I'm a little concerned over reliability issues.  Seems like Ford has gotten the bugs worked out but still a little worried about reports of dead batteries, MFT issues, etc.  I've owned Honda/Acura for last 20 year, so worried about making the switch LOL  I currently have a '04 TSX that is still in great shape with low miles but would like a hybrid to save on fuel as well has have more cargo capacity to carry my bike and other things.  The C-Max rides and handles so much better than Prius - think I'd be happier in the long-run with the C-Max but mainly concerned about reliability.  I'm not really into having a lot of auto-tech, so just want Sirius radio and a sunroof (will have to go aftermarket for that).  

New or used / SE or SEL...hmm.

Would love some advice from the community :-) 

I only have a bit of advice about Sirius.

My '14 SE did not have Sirius radio, so I had the dealer install an aftermarket unit (which I THINK was made by Ford, but I wouldn't swear to it - it's the only one he had available to him). It worked OK, but it plugs in to the only USB port in the car - which I wasn't aware of when I ordered it. I had them pull it out because I have lots of music on a USB stick that I wanted to have in that port. And the aftermarket Sirius didn't really integrate all THAT well into the radio controls. So now for Sirius I use their app on my phone and play it via bluetooth. For ME, that was a better option than the aftermarket.

If I were to do it again I'd make sure to get a car with Sirius built in at the factory.

If you get a used 2014, make sure its VIN is on the list to have the 15B04 CSP (Consumer Satisfaction Program) update done.  That is the latest fix for dead batteries.

We have an SE (liked the dash better and didn't want all the MFT stuff) and the Pano roof which we love.  You mentioned an aftermarket roof so I'm assuming you want one that opens (I didn't, so the Pano was perfect).  I haven't heard of anyone putting one one in so don't know what might be involved.  Check out the Ford extended warranty options (but shop around).  If you don't plan on going past 100k miles you can easily have everything covered the whole time.  I guess I would be leaning toward new so you get all the latest upgrades and can easily get options and warranty the way you want.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.  I knew I was getting a C-Max, it was a question of used, a 2014 new one or a 2015.

At the time, a 2014 new SEL wasn't much more than a low mileage 2013 or 14 due to incentives.  But then I couldn't really find a 2014 with the color and options I wanted.  I ended up being offered a generous trade allowance on my SUV and a fair amount off MSRP so I ordered a 2015 from the factory.  

It took me a while to decide on what to do but in the end I'm very happy with my decision.  I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you.  I have very little concern about reliability, but I do carry a booster battery in the car, just like I carry jumper cables in my other vehicles.  It's been 2 months and 4,000 miles, zero issues,  and so far I'm loving it!

:happy feet:

I absolutely LOVE MFT and hate the built-in Sirius (which is why I let it lapse and won't renew) so everyone's mileage, so to speak, is different.  But I would strongly consider getting MFT for any vehicle (I have the SE but you can get the upgraded package which includes it -- IIRC it comes standard with the SEL).

My gut tells me we've seen the end of the battery problem, but folks who have had it might not feel the same way.  It wouldn't stop me at all from buying another Max (indeed, at some point we may well do that).  Every car will have their own set of issues -- my own Honda, while lasting me 170K miles, did develop electrical problems that plagued it for the last 8 years of its life and where a bit PITA (and similar to the Max, could not be solved by any dealership or repair department).  So just because you have one car that works for you doesn't mean anything when buying another, one way or the other.  

The C-Max is the best car I've ever owned, in nearly 5 decades of car ownership.  I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've been looking at the Ford c max for quite a while. From what I see seems to be mostly people who own the SE models that are having issues. With that said there's a lot of used/lease cars now coming on the market. Very easy to pull up the history on the car to see if there's any history of problems with it. I would lean towards purchasing a recently lease SEL model, since the depreciation is so great the first few years.  

• 5 weeks later...

I'm here to learn and have a friend with a Fusion Hybrid thats covered 168,000 miles without a hitch. Cmax might be the best compromise for me versus competition. Still evaluating but with over 200k on my current 18-22mpg vehicle, its only a matter of time or miles before I have to make a move to new wheels

I've been looking at the Ford c max for quite a while. From what I see seems to be mostly people who own the SE models that are having issues. With that said there's a lot of used/lease cars now coming on the market. Very easy to pull up the history on the car to see if there's any history of problems with it. I would lean towards purchasing a recently lease SEL model, since the depreciation is so great the first few years.  

I think there are posts on here that say that SE's have more problems but I am not sure that the facts are there to support this.  I do think there were more standard SE owners that reported dead battery issues for 2013 models.   The same poll shows that as soon as you get the MFT (option group 202A and above) the reports of this issue is much less than the SEL's.   Now there are many other factors here that play into this information such as the number of vehicles reporting this.  

I have heard some say that SEL models don't have this battery issue and that is not true.  My feeling is that first year production cars will have more issues than later years.  The Consumers Report review shows that there are less issues now that before.   That was my justification as to what to purchase.   I wanted a newer car vs a good deal on a first year production car.   

There are pluses and minuses to both models.   So far after having an 2014 SE for 7 months I would buy the same car again today.  Good luck on your choice.