Cell Mount and Dashcam

My dashcam arrived Monday and I installed it in about 10 minutes at work for the drive home.  I got an A118 / B40 capacitor model.  For now it's plugged into the outlet in the centre console, with the only wire visible being a couple of inches of wire running up the console beside the passenger seat.  This model makes for a pretty clean and easy install.  The dashcam starts up automatically and begins recording as soon as I unlock the doors and shuts off about 10 minutes after I shut the car off.

post-2557-0-71277800-1433298221_thumb.jpg

Once I installed that I bit the bullet and ordered the ProClips Angled mount that goes to the right of the MFT. That arrived this morning and I installed in in a couple of minutes at work today.  I ordered it with a USB power adapter that is currently plugged into the outlet between the seat warmer dials with the extra cable tucked into the mesh pocket on the passenger side.  

post-2557-0-41225600-1433298823_thumb.jpg

post-2557-0-59823300-1433298844_thumb.jpg

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll install 2 - 12v outlets in the glove compartment and plug both the dash cam and the cell phone charger into that and free up the factory outlets and space for an even cleaner install.

post-2557-0-19156200-1433298888_thumb.jpg 

Thanks to ScubaDadMiami and others who have posted what they used, it made my purchasing decision easy.

I have the regular A118/B40. Couple things to look out for:

1) Make sure that part of the windshield is in the wiper's sweep area. I had it in a similar area but moved it because it was useless in rain because the glass in front of the lens wasn't getting cleaned.

2) the cover behind the rearview mirror that covers the rain sensor, that cover blocked a big chunk of the recorded view for me, too much that I really needed to move it. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Thanks for the warnings.  I tested out the dash cam with some velcro before mounting it permanently.  Originally I had it even closer to the mirror but moved it to it's present location due to that plastic trim piece which was blocking too much on the left side of the car.

I'll see how it goes with the rain and move it if need be.  Would be interested to see where yours is mounted.

I originally had mine close to where yours is, then moved it to the driver's side because the passenger side wasn't being swept by wipers. Now I just have it attached to the black trim piece below the mirror.

Additional benefit to what I did, I read somewhere that if a recording device is placed on/affixed to the windshield (in CA) there must be some sort of notification that recording is taking place, either a sign or a verbal notice. Now that it's off the windshield, I wouldn't need to worry about that.

post-217-0-39544700-1433368438_thumb.jpg

post-217-0-64293700-1433368788_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I will probably swap my toll freeway transponder location with the dash cam when I go to hardwire it in.

That will put the camera about where you had it for your 2nd location. I may try the center plastic rain sensor cover too to see if I'm happy with it there.

• 2 years later...