Has anyone had their battery issue resolved?

YakMax

First off, a little background information: I have a 2013 Ford C-max SE and have had three dead battery events. They have always occurred when the car sat overnight. We make a point of making sure that nothing is left on or plugged in. We even make sure the keys are taken out of the ignition switch. I have had all the recalls and updates done including the recent CSP 15B04 which was done this morning. The car has 18,000 miles on it for which it is driven daily, mostly in town.

I do read this forum quite often along with all the detailed polls on this dead battery issue. The dealer replaced my battery about nine months ago. I really need some first hand information from forum members on this subject.  I want to know if anyone who has had multiple battery failures, have had the dead battery issue resolved No one can be sure so opinions count here.Has anyone had a dead battery in a late 2014 or 2015 model of this C-Max?

This is my first Ford product purchase and we really like the car. The reliability is something that I must come to a conclusion and do something about it. I cannot trust the dealer when they say "Ford is getting a handle on this issue", so this is why I need your help.

• 2 weeks later...

One post in two weeks or so! I know people are burned out reading about other peoples issues with the C-Max batteries. The more I read, the more I am convinced that Ford has not found a good fix for this problem.

When people buy a car, they have a  expectation that it will be reliable and get them to work or where ever they daily trips take them to. I realize nothing is perfect in this world, but two years should be enough time to get this issue resolved.

I, and others who have had battery problems, share your frustration.

But, how is one to know whether or not the battery issue/s is/are resolved?  In my case, my first and second problems were separated by over 2 years.

IMHO, there are/were several fleet-wide problems that resulted in dead batteries.  I'm sure many of them have been identified and solutions provided.  I have no idea as to whether or not fleet-wide dead-battery issues remain.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I previously posted on another thread.  Our C-Max battery failed nine times over two years.  The last time was in May and we had had enough.  We had the car towed to the dealer and left it there.  The dealer did the latest "fix" for the problem, but both the dealer and Ford told me that they would not guarantee the problem was fixed.  After some haggling, I started a case under the Minnesota Lemon Law.  After a little more haggling, Ford agreed to purchase the car back.  We returned to the dealer to sign up the deal and when they tried to bring the car in for a final inspection, it wouldn't start.  (It had been sitting in their lot for about a month without being started, so we don't know why it wouldn't start).   The service guy at the dealer told me that so far, the latest "fix" of the problem seemed to be working.  They had not had a car returned to them since applying that fix.  

(Just as a final note to our adventure with Ford, after the check arrived, my bank put a hold on it for ten days because Ford's bank reported that it was of "doubtful collectability."  Not sure what happened there, but after ten days, my bank deposited the funds in my account.)

I had this happen once on my 2014.  The dealer did the routine that Ford specified (latest fix).  I have not had the issue since.   That was 4 months ago or so.  I understand your concerns and agree with the other comments here too.  There have been many reasons for this issue.  That was one of the biggest reasons why I wanted a 2014 and almost waited for the 2015.  

I do carry a jump pack now.  The good news with this is that it does not take much at all to get the car going again.  I am hoping that Murphy's Law comes into play here and because I now have a jump pack, I will never need it.   (as I knock on my wood desk)  ;)

I previously posted on another thread.  Our C-Max battery failed nine times over two years.  The last time was in May and we had had enough.  We had the car towed to the dealer and left it there.  The dealer did the latest "fix" for the problem, but both the dealer and Ford told me that they would not guarantee the problem was fixed.  After some haggling, I started a case under the Minnesota Lemon Law.  After a little more haggling, Ford agreed to purchase the car back.  We returned to the dealer to sign up the deal and when they tried to bring the car in for a final inspection, it wouldn't start.  (It had been sitting in their lot for about a month without being started, so we don't know why it wouldn't start).   The service guy at the dealer told me that so far, the latest "fix" of the problem seemed to be working.  They had not had a car returned to them since applying that fix.  

(Just as a final note to our adventure with Ford, after the check arrived, my bank put a hold on it for ten days because Ford's bank reported that it was of "doubtful collectability."  Not sure what happened there, but after ten days, my bank deposited the funds in my account.)

You cannot leave a C-Max sitting for a month without charging the battery. It will run down, I suppose because the electronics have some draw on the battery (like the alarm, the keyless entry, and the automatic sensors for the power hatch). For some reason dealers never seem to understand this. When I was shopping in 2014, about a dozen of the C-Maxes I wanted to drive had dead 12v batteries. As it happened, the one I bought did fire right up, but it was on the main lot at the dealer and I think it had been driven more.

Your vehicle is most likely fixed, but I can understand why you want to get something else.

You cannot leave a C-Max sitting for a month without charging the battery. It will run down, I suppose because the electronics have some draw on the battery (like the alarm, the keyless entry, and the automatic sensors for the power hatch). For some reason dealers never seem to understand this. When I was shopping in 2014, about a dozen of the C-Maxes I wanted to drive had dead 12v batteries. As it happened, the one I bought did fire right up, but it was on the main lot at the dealer and I think it had been driven more.

Your vehicle is most likely fixed, but I can understand why you want to get something else.

It seems to me that most newer cars, hybrid or not, likely won't start if it sits a month. I'm sure there are some that might but most have "gadgets", particularly alarms, that limit the length of time a car can sit without being started.

I suffered 10 dead battery events (9 from the original battery, 1 from a replacement which Ford provided) in the first 22 months after purchasing my C-Max in November 2012.  I had TSB 14-0155 applied on 30 September 2014, and this seems to have fixed the problem for me--I have not had a dead battery since.

Look for a new round of dead 12v's in the near future.

I'm not sure when cmax production started (mid year 2012...sooner???).

There are a lot of 12v batteries reaching there expected life span although they do live in a pretty nice environment instead of under the hood. Maybe we'll get 5  instead of 4 years.

Why is the "expected life" only 4 years?  It has a 36 month free replacement and 100 month pro-rated warranty.  If you don't have the "dead battery" problem and you normally just jump in and turn on the car, the 12V battery gets used very little and should have no problem going 8+ years.

August 15 2015

Bought our CMax 2013 last October.  Battery failure due to charging unit not working and a short in "a fuse".  Make sure the the dc voltage is within spec and you should be okay. It took them 2 weeks to resolve but we have had no problems since.

I have a have a HUGH concern because the failed charging unit did not alarm the low battery voltage causing the car to die on the highway.

Wish they had a voltage meter that you can easily read while running the car.  We bought a plug in unit as a stand by.

All is working well for the past 10 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Since i bought the Cmax used, and the problems they had previously with the batteries, the dealer put a brand new battery in, made sure all the updates were done in the software for the TSB's etc.... hopefully won't have a problem. 

I run battery tenders on my F150 and mustangs in the garage, Original batteries in the 2003 Mustang and 2004 F150.!! since I don't drive them much, and the Cmax is the daily commuter now. 

Battery issue update: I looked at my planner to figure out when I had the last battery failure and it seems like it was March 27. We have had five months of driving without a battery failure which is certainly something to celebrate!!! On May 22, we took the car into the dealership to have the CSP-15B04 installed or maybe the correct term should be software update. Since the March episode, we have not had a single issue. :yahoo:

Reading the C-Max forum from time to time has led to to conclude that Ford has made a much appreciated effort to remedy this battery issue. I do not think I am out of the woods yet but I think the progress and the lack of current battery issues being reporting is promising as well as hopeful.

• 2 months later...

"Low Battery . . . ..Audio shut off" message has been going for about 2 weeks now.  It is used to be happening for 2 to 3 days then no error message and the radio audio ran longer than 30 minutes, then weeks later the same error low battery message came on for 2 to 3 days and the radio shut off after 2 minutes playing when key is in the Accessory or at position 1.

I have noticed when the temperature around from 49F to 61F, the low battery message and shut off audio happens.  Coincidentally, for 2 weeks now, where I am, the temperature has been around 56F to 60F.

Even after driving on the hi-way for 50 minutes, after stop the care, and in about 2 minutes and the key is either in Accessory mode or at position 1:  the low battery even came on and shutting off the audio.

Either the 12V battery is dying, it is not charged while driving, or the audio does like playing without the car is fully on?????

On one of the day of the error, I even turned the car on for 30 minutes, the key to position 1, and the radio still shut off after 2 minutes.  Turned key to Accessory mode, radio still remained off.  Turned the key to position 4 (car fully on), radio turned  back on and saw the low battery error message.

And yes, my car is one of the CMAX hybrid having the with 12V dead (or discharged below to 2.96V) for several times now. :)

Your battery is/has died, we got the low bat message a couple of times before it wouldn't start the car.

BUT this was after 2 years of no 12v battery maintenance, SHAME on me.

The new 12v gets it's charge on a regular basis (like my previous long lived batteries (I've also cleaned the posts on this one they needed it))

Two to three minutes every time I get the "system off to save battery" very annoying. I was reading 12.4-12.7 volts with my plugin digital meter.  ;) I think this happened after FORD replaced the Audio Module, they fixed something that wasn't broken. :drop:  I guess I will have to ask FORD to explain this. ;)

Paul

Two to three minutes every time I get the "system off to save battery" very annoying. I was reading 12.4-12.7 volts with my plugin digital meter.  ;) I think this happened after FORD replaced the Audio Module, they fixed something that wasn't broken. :drop:  I guess I will have to ask FORD to explain this. ;)

Paul

I get this too.  It started for me after they updated the software for the 12v battery drain issue.  I think it was part of the fix to make sure the system shuts down when the car is not in run mode.  

"Low Battery . . . ..Audio shut off" message has been going for about 2 weeks now.  It is used to be happening for 2 to 3 days then no error message and the radio audio ran longer than 30 minutes, then weeks later the same error low battery message came on for 2 to 3 days and the radio shut off after 2 minutes playing when key is in the Accessory or at position 1.

I have noticed when the temperature around from 49F to 61F, the low battery message and shut off audio happens.  Coincidentally, for 2 weeks now, where I am, the temperature has been around 56F to 60F.

Even after driving on the hi-way for 50 minutes, after stop the care, and in about 2 minutes and the key is either in Accessory mode or at position 1:  the low battery even came on and shutting off the audio.

Either the 12V battery is dying, it is not charged while driving, or the audio does like playing without the car is fully on?????

On one of the day of the error, I even turned the car on for 30 minutes, the key to position 1, and the radio still shut off after 2 minutes.  Turned key to Accessory mode, radio still remained off.  Turned the key to position 4 (car fully on), radio turned  back on and saw the low battery error message.

And yes, my car is one of the CMAX hybrid having the with 12V dead (or discharged below to 2.96V) for several times now. :)

Paul

I get this too.  It started for me after they updated the software for the 12v battery drain issue.  I think it was part of the fix to make sure the system shuts down when the car is not in run mode.

Hi guys,

I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer to have this checked out. Once you do, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan