Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Has anyone had their battery issue resolved?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 671 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

Sounds like you need to take the car to the dealer and have the battery checked to determine if it will properly hold a charge.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

Your battery is/has died, we got the low bat message a couple of times before it wouldn't start the car.
BUT this was after 2 years of no 12v battery maintenance, SHAME on me.
The new 12v gets it's charge on a regular basis (like my previous long lived batteries (I've also cleaned the posts on this one they needed it))
  • ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,605 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Two to three minutes every time I get the "system off to save battery" very annoying. I was reading 12.4-12.7 volts with my plugin digital meter.  ;) I think this happened after FORD replaced the Audio Module, they fixed something that wasn't broken. :drop:  I guess I will have to ask FORD to explain this. ;)

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 577 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:52 AM

Two to three minutes every time I get the "system off to save battery" very annoying. I was reading 12.4-12.7 volts with my plugin digital meter.  ;) I think this happened after FORD replaced the Audio Module, they fixed something that wasn't broken. :drop:  I guess I will have to ask FORD to explain this. ;)

Paul

I get this too.  It started for me after they updated the software for the 12v battery drain issue.  I think it was part of the fix to make sure the system shuts down when the car is not in run mode.  

#25 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

"Low Battery . . . ..Audio shut off" message has been going for about 2 weeks now.  It is used to be happening for 2 to 3 days then no error message and the radio audio ran longer than 30 minutes, then weeks later the same error low battery message came on for 2 to 3 days and the radio shut off after 2 minutes playing when key is in the Accessory or at position 1.

I have noticed when the temperature around from 49F to 61F, the low battery message and shut off audio happens.  Coincidentally, for 2 weeks now, where I am, the temperature has been around 56F to 60F.

Even after driving on the hi-way for 50 minutes, after stop the care, and in about 2 minutes and the key is either in Accessory mode or at position 1:  the low battery even came on and shutting off the audio.

Either the 12V battery is dying, it is not charged while driving, or the audio does like playing without the car is fully on?????

On one of the day of the error, I even turned the car on for 30 minutes, the key to position 1, and the radio still shut off after 2 minutes.  Turned key to Accessory mode, radio still remained off.  Turned the key to position 4 (car fully on), radio turned  back on and saw the low battery error message.

And yes, my car is one of the CMAX hybrid having the with 12V dead (or discharged below to 2.96V) for several times now. :)

Paul

I get this too.  It started for me after they updated the software for the 12v battery drain issue.  I think it was part of the fix to make sure the system shuts down when the car is not in run mode.

Hi guys,

I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer to have this checked out. Once you do, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

#26 OFFLINE   donhak

donhak

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAlaska
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid 2013

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:47 PM

Car born 12/6/2012, mileage 21800 at time of inspection.  Never experienced any problems with the battery, but I had the wiring inspection and battery testing done this weekend.  The battery failed in the middle of testing.  The closest battery was 45 miles away and too late to get that day, so they got the original working again, and I will take the car back for the battery replacement.  No other problems found but it turned what should have been a short job into their having the car almost all day.  Always interesting what settings are lost and have to be reset and which ones come back after work like this.

#27 OFFLINE   Tom

Tom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 222 posts
  • LocationBethesda, Md.
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Perhaps it’s like cancer, if it doesn’t reoccur in five years you’re cured.

#28 OFFLINE   mojoz500

mojoz500

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPort Saint Lucie, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max SE

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

Bought my C-Max SE in June of 2014. Had my first auxiliary battery failure after 8 months (Feb 2015). Fine the night before, all systems off for the night, aux battery non responsive in the morning. Dealer replaced the battery under warranty at that time. Car went in for the 15B04 recall/reprogramming in June of 2015. However, yesterday morning (2/14/16) car found "dead" in the garage again! Ford emergency roadside service towed her into the dealer again on "warranty" last night. So, it appears as though this IS STILL an ongoing issue. I will get a jump pack after I get it back from the dealer/service center as a temporary precaution. However, I will probably pursue the acquisition of another non hybrid vehicle now. It appears from other blogs and forums that this problem is NOT just related to Ford hybrids. Don't know why the electrical designers of these vehicles have not over come this apparent under charging issue... This situation is just too inconvenient to put up with indefinitely. Too bad, I like everything else about the car, except for the excessive electrical interlocks, of course! Maybe hybrid again, or full electric someday when this "tech design" issue is truly worked out. 

#29 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

Greetings mojoz500

Take a look at this thread, Kia may be onto something by eliminating the 12v battery.

http://fordcmaxhybri...-2017-kia-niro/
  • mojoz500 likes this

#30 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,416 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

I'm happy that our SEL has proven immune; I wish yours had!

Frank

• mojoz500 likes this

#31 OFFLINE   mojoz500

mojoz500

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

I have one of the new style (small physical size) lithium ion jump start and charger packs now... The Rugged Geek RG600/12V/600A. That will take care of the potential reoccurrence of this issue for now. Will be looking around...

#32 OFFLINE   nc-cmax

nc-cmax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

2013 C-Max Hybrid - Sitting here working from home with no C-Max in the driveway - as of yesterday, 3rd dead battery in 3 years.  Two times stranded at work, once at home in the morning.  Have now started a Lemon Law case, and registered with SAFERCAR.gov.  I, too, love the car - love my 43.6 lifetime mpg - but this is ridiculous.  I will also be contacting Ford to discuss next steps re: fix it or take it back.  And no - you cannot tell if it's fixed until it fails again.  Each time taken in for routine maintenance, battery checks out fine.  Dealer has no more info than we do.  We have 3 Fords - have always loved Ford - but this is the bad apple, I'm assuming.  Trying not to let it taint my opinion.

#33 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,605 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

Time to trade it in on a new one? ;) Sounds like you don't carry a jumper battery with you. If you did it should be a pretty much a non issue. I would think it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to open the door, grab the jumper batt., pop open the hood and jump the battery.  I guess for me once a year a dead battery isn't worth the grief of the Lemon Law and just have the dealer replace the battery every time it happens. IMO :)

Paul

#34 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

Been meaning to post this, I got this one from Amazon, it is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B15R6FO61u4ble6DJL._SL1000_.jpg

• ptjones likes this

#35 OFFLINE   mojoz500

mojoz500

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Since my last post of February 24th, 2016, I've had two more instances of the Auxiliary Battery going flat in my garage. Latest one was this morning. Since I now have a Lithium Jump pack, it is no longer a very difficult thing to overcome this regular inconvenience... At least so far... It has happened only in my garage overnight as of yet. So, the truth is that this problem is FAR from being resolved... The earlier 15B04 recall/reprogramming of June of 2015 DID NOT FIX THIS ISSUE! In fact, this overnight dead battery occurrence now appears to be on the increase... About once every two months. Could be easily "seduced" into getting something else now... We'll see... It's a nice ride when it is working.

#36 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 694 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Sorry to hear about that.   I wouldn't recommend the SE model to be honest. 

#37 OFFLINE   Tom

Tom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 222 posts
  • LocationBethesda, Md.
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

My 2013 C-Max SE had three battery failures. I've had all the recalls attended to by my dealer. So far, no new battery issues for what must be over a year now.  So, I'm guessing and hoping it's fixed.

#38 OFFLINE   maxine

maxine

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

I bought a 2013 used CMax hybrid.  Two weeks off the lot and had a dead battery.  Took it back and they replaced the battery.  30 days later, dead battery.  Took it to a different dealer and had them test the battery and vehicle (they did not find any electrical leakages).  Six months later, no issues with the battery.  Why?  Am not sure, but I recalled when the battery lost its charge the second time, I did not turn off the climate control system (left the fan and maybe heater/ac in the on position).  Now every time I park the car, I turn off the climate control system and fan.  And I have not had a battery problem.  I bought a unit to check my battery status and charging and everything is showing "good."  So, I am hoping that by turning off the fan/climate control system I will not have a dead battery problem.  You may want to try this and see what happens.

#39 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 107 posts
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

just make sure you have all the latest updates in the firmware of the car.  I bought mine used (2013 SEL) and they did all the updates for the computers, etc....before i took it home and put a new battery in just in case, and been over 1 year (aug) with no problems or dead battery. 

Edited by WNY, 30 September 2016 - 03:46 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 577 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

I bought a 2013 used CMax hybrid.  Two weeks off the lot and had a dead battery.  Took it back and they replaced the battery.  30 days later, dead battery.  Took it to a different dealer and had them test the battery and vehicle (they did not find any electrical leakages).  Six months later, no issues with the battery.  Why?  Am not sure, but I recalled when the battery lost its charge the second time, I did not turn off the climate control system (left the fan and maybe heater/ac in the on position).  Now every time I park the car, I turn off the climate control system and fan.  And I have not had a battery problem.  I bought a unit to check my battery status and charging and everything is showing "good."  So, I am hoping that by turning off the fan/climate control system I will not have a dead battery problem.  You may want to try this and see what happens.

First I have heard this one.   Shutting down the climate control is not something I would worry about if you forget to do it.  I do not shut mine down much and have not had issues because of this.  That should all shut down with the car turning off. 

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·