FORScan Lite for Androids Released 6/29/2015

plus 3 golfer

FORScan Lite for Androids was released on 6/29/2015.  I have been using the free trial version for about 6 weeks or so.  The cost of the new released version for sale is less than $5.  As I've said before this IMO is the best OBDII scanner for the price primarily because it's specifically for Ford group vehicles.  It scans virtually all the vehicles modules for DTC and allows streaming of module specific data that can be displayed on a graph, dash board, or table.

Here's an example, one can monitor the left and right front ABS pressure sensors.  In preliminary testing, I wanted to see if I could use this data to apply the maximum brake pressure and still score 100% brake score. There was a post / thread very early on where someone wanted an indication of how much brake pedal could be used before friction braking took over and reduced the brake score.  The nominal brake pressure readings were under about 7 psi cruising (probably sensor variability).  I began to depress the brake pedal to slow down.  If the pressure sensor reading didn't change, I scored 100% brake score.  As I pressed the brake pedal harder, there was a point where the pressure reading jumped to mid teens PSI.  I could not "feel" that the friction brakes were applied. The brake score was 96%. 

Also, on my very recent 4k+ trip back East, I continually monitored TFT, ECT, Traction Motor Coil Temperature, ambient temperature, speed, tire pressure and several other sensors.

For viewing the data while driving, I have a Ram mount system with suction cup (larger one) and extension arm mounted on the driver's side window that brings my smartphone about to the steering wheel.  This makes viewing and operate the smartphone very easy. The Ram system is "rock solid" and costs around $50. 

Here's link to FORScan.org

I'm interested but I'm new to all this.. I have an android phone and the mount.  What device do I need to purchase besides the software?

You will also need a bluetooth OBDII ELM327 device.  There are a ton of them out there, I use this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Goliton%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Supper-Compatible-Andriod/dp/B009NPAORC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435692326&sr=8-3&keywords=Mini+OBD2+OBD-II+Android+Bluetooth

FORScan Lite for Androids was released on 6/29/2015.  I have been using the free trial version for about 6 weeks or so.  The cost of the new released version for sale is less than $5.  As I've said before this IMO is the best OBDII scanner for the price primarily because it's specifically for Ford group vehicles.  It scans virtually all the vehicles modules for DTC and allows streaming of module specific data that can be displayed on a graph, dash board, or table.

Here's an example, one can monitor the left and right front ABS pressure sensors.  In preliminary testing, I wanted to see if I could use this data to apply the maximum brake pressure and still score 100% brake score. There was a post / thread very early on where someone wanted an indication of how much brake pedal could be used before friction braking took over and reduced the brake score.  The nominal brake pressure readings were under about 7 psi cruising (probably sensor variability).  I began to depress the brake pedal to slow down.  If the pressure sensor reading didn't change, I scored 100% brake score.  As I pressed the brake pedal harder, there was a point where the pressure reading jumped to mid teens PSI.  I could not "feel" that the friction brakes were applied. The brake score was 96%. 

Also, on my very recent 4k+ trip back East, I continually monitored TFT, ECT, Traction Motor Coil Temperature, ambient temperature, speed, tire pressure and several other sensors.

For viewing the data while driving, I have a Ram mount system with suction cup (larger one) and extension arm mounted on the driver's side window that brings my smartphone about to the steering wheel.  This makes viewing and operate the smartphone very easy. The Ram system is "rock solid" and costs around $50. 

Here's link to FORScan.org

I recently started using Torque OBD.  

I did select the Ford codes.

I have noticed a lot of the items that are "pre-programmed" do not work.

I have also started to enter in the formulas of the hybrid codes.

It sounds like this software will have a higher percent of pre-programmed codes that work.  Is that correct.

Is there capacity to enter other formulas ?

Are the formulas for the hybrid functions already in there ?  

such as these: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2757-obd2-%E2%80%93-elm-327-%E2%80%93-torque/?p=33841

Thanks.

IMO, Apps like Torque Pro (which I have) are "generic" and thus are not up to date with respect to DTC and sensor data for each car manufacturer and the various control modules.  These Apps also IMO have a lot of  "useless" (to me :) ) calculated data like trip and performance data to make them appear "very" robust.  Torque Pro does allow for custom PIDs though.  So, if one has the PIDs, the PIDs can be entered and one might be able to approach FORScan in data availability.  The problem is I have yet to see a comprehensive list of PIDS for the various control modules specific to the C-Max. 

AFAIK (although I haven't tested every PID), FORScan has all the Hybrid PIDs that I've seen listed in other threads (and many more that I've not seen).  I assume these PIDs work.

This is not to say FORScan doesn't have errors.  For example, the ambient temperature dashboard gauge show the digital temperature but the dial scaling is in error as the maximum is below the reading.  Since one cannot access the pre-programmed PIDs, this will likely be fixed in subsequent releases.  AFAIK there is no way to enter custom PIDs.  I assume that since all PIDs for Ford products would be included in the FORScan data base, there is no need for custom PIDs.

You can get on the FORScan forum and ask questions about the PIDs and applicability to the C-Max Hybrid.  I just don't have the time (nor do I see a need to) check off every PID shown in all the modules and view in tabular or dashboard form to see if the PIDs work.  FORScan also has PIDs for the status of devices like control valves, switches and so forth and much more data.  There certainly could be "bad" PIDs which I assume would be corrected in later releases.

One other issue with FORScan is that I haven't found a way to stream and display data from several modules on the same dashboard.  So, if one wants to monitor tire pressure and TFT (two different modules), one has to switch the display to the appropriate module.  This requires stopping the scan of the current module, selecting the new module from a list of modules to scan, and starting the scan of the new module.  Then one's pre-selected PIDs of the new module will now be displayed.  It's somewhat of a pain to switch back and forth among modules which is why I have my smartphone mounted just left of the steering wheel for very easy access.  

One other issue with FORScan is that I haven't found a way to stream and display data from several modules on the same dashboard.  So, if one wants to monitor tire pressure and TFT (two different modules), one has to switch the display to the appropriate module.  This requires stopping the scan of the current module, selecting the new module from a list of modules to scan, and starting the scan of the new module.  Then one's pre-selected PIDs of the new module will now be displayed.  It's somewhat of a pain to switch back and forth among modules which is why I have my smartphone mounted just left of the steering wheel for very easy access.  

Someone brought that desire up regarding the IOS version of FORScan. I believe they said they would look into that for a future version, as long as the modules were on the same CAN bus.

They did fix a crash when deleting the last PID from a list (which was probably only on IOS version) and I did get them to fix the units for PID BAT_TO_EMPTY_ESTIM from Watt to kWh, which affected all versions.

FORScan has a lot more built-in PIDS than Torque Pro but you can't add any PIDs yourself http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1314

Displaying PIDs from multiple modules at the same time will be added to all versions at some point. http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=969

Good to know but I've asked questions on Palmer Engineering forums on DashCommand and got similar responses to similar questions.  AFAIK, DashCommand still lacks features that would be nice like ability to add custom PIDs to iOS devices (although I haven't checked in months since I switched to Android).

I do agree with FORScan though that custom PIDs for FORScan is likely not needed but the ability to put any PID from modules on the same bus on a single dashboard is IMO "almost" a must have (but for a cost of $5 I can live without it :)).

I have a Nokia Windows phone, so obviously not Android. Anyone know if this would work on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 WiFi version?

It should work fine as the Tab 4 has Bluetooth. Scaling of screens may be weird but if they did a good job of programming all will be well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Plus 3 Golfer.  There is also Forscan beta for Windows at www.forscan.org  

I installed latter on an 8" Windows tablet.  Runs fine with a cheap ebay obd-ii bluetooth adapter; updates quickly (likely depends on how many PIDs one is monitoring).  Also claims to work with wi-fi adapters.

I am trying to figure out the most useful PIDs (Parameter ID) to monitor.   Like Plus 3 Golfer, if I understand his first post correctly,  I am interested in knowing when friction braking kicks in.

In PCM (Powertrain Control Module) there are two brake on/off parameters.   B001 comes on before B002 (and goes off first) - seems to indicate small and heavier brake pedal application.  Anyone know if this is useful for telling whether mechanical brake is applied?  Since the system needs to be failsafe, and yet allow regen braking without friction braking, I am assuming the pedal has a short distance where it closes a switch (and turns B001 PID "ON"?) but doesn't yet push master cylinder piston.  This call for braking might turn on brake lights and begin regen.  Further pedal pressure would apply hydraulic friction brakes - and turn B002 "ON"?

Other PIDs that are potentially interesting and available in some modules are coolant temp, engine revs, and current flow from high volt battery.

I haven't found tire pressure PID.  In any case, if you have found a useful module and set of PIDs to monitor with Forscan, please share.

@djc

Take a look at the anti-lock brake module (ABS).  I don't have a CMax but rather a 2010 Fusion Hybrid and I monitor the PID BRKHYDRESS..when you press on the brakes and you are in regeneration the pressure will stay low (like 10 psi or less).  If pressure goes higher you are using friction brakes.

I'm running Forscan on a Windows 7 laptop.  Tire pressures are in the BDYCM with names:

• TPM_PRESS_LF   (left front)
  • TPM_PRESS_LRO  (left rear outer)
  • TPM_PRESS_RF  (right front)
  • TPM_PRESS_RRO  (right rear outer)

Hmmm - "rear outer"?  They must be allowing for "inner" as well.  There must be a dually C-Max on the way!  Now wouldn't that be a beast!

Thanks Automate and SnowStorm. 

Brakes: I have 4.8psi brake pressure with no foot on the brake.  It does suddenly jump up (and goes way up).  I expect that jump will correlate with the brake position switches I mentioned earlier.  The system must be set up with some pedal travel before hydraulics get to work.  A switch must kick regen braking on (and turn on brake lights and disengage cruise control; maybe kill ICE if on).  Then more travel must start to apply pressure at the master cylinder.

Nice to see those tire pressures.  Wish: I could see them on the 7" center console screen at key on, along with some other "ready for take-off" info like 12V battery voltage or charge state; cabin air temp; coolant temp (useful to know up north when block heater has been on), etc.  Some day.

I did get them to fix the units for PID BAT_TO_EMPTY_ESTIM from Watt to kWh, which affected all versions.

The problem with this is that we lost a decimal place now... In Torque Pro you can adjust the decimal places displayed. In FORScan you cannot. When it showed Wh that effectively showed kWh with 3 decimal places. Now that this was changed by FORScan it show kWh with 2 decimal places, thus we lost a level of data. I wish this change hadn't taken place...

The problem with this is that we lost a decimal place now... In Torque Pro you can adjust the decimal places displayed. In FORScan you cannot. When it showed Wh that effectively showed kWh with 3 decimal places. Now that this was changed by FORScan it show kWh with 2 decimal places, thus we lost a level of data. I wish this change hadn't taken place...

That last digit would only matter if you actually believe the measurement (more of an estimate really) is actually that accurate. I would suggest that is extremely unlikely based on my engineering experience.

That last digit would only matter if you actually believe the measurement (more of an estimate really) is actually that accurate. I would suggest that is extremely unlikely based on my engineering experience.

I agree that in a single instance the measurement is not accurate. For for Energi owners like you & me, recording the ETE at a full charge over time will show battery capacity loss. The same is true for our Focus Electric. With the Energi I can still read kWh to 3 decimal places with Torque Pro. In the Focus Electric I can only read data with FORScan and now I lost a decimal place of specificity.

Edited by hybridbear

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed Forscan Lite.  I like it better that Torque, way better(for me it certainly does transmission temperature better).  I am going on trip of about 250 miles on Wednesday.  I hope to do some transmission temperature monitoring.  I have it install on an ASUS 7" android tablet with 1024x600 resolution display - not IPS.  I paid like $60 for it.  Seems fine.  It does work with a cheapo bluetooth OBD.  The tablet can sit horizontally over the speedometer blocking the lower mph's but not the faster ones, and blocking the mostly useless 2013 indicators on the right.

I did program and save 3 screens of stuff but I will have to play with it to figure how to switch between them.  It took a couple passes to figure out how to minimally use the software.  

One thing I know now is that when I power on, I need to disconnect the OBD and then reconnect within the android settings.  Those setting seem to show it paired up on power up when it really isn't.

Plus 3 Golfer Thanks for starting this thread letting me know about Forscan Lite.

I am curious how these guys got all these codes while Torque does not have them.

Edited by obob