About to buy a NEW 2013 C-Max Hybrid today

Hello, Im about to buy a 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL in the Northeast today possibly, maybe next week.  One Im looking at is a leftover the dealer has had for a year and they are selling it for 23k is that good?  It was used in house for one of the guys and has less than 4000 miles, but is already 2 years old... it does have the pano roof and 302a package, but is 23 k still alot or is that a good price?  Hard to find since most 2013s are all being sold as used.... I'm not sure what to do.  The Vin has a D in the 4th and 10th digits so I'm thinking according to what i saw online, that it was made in April, 2013... so hopefully will be free of the battery issues.  ANY ADVICE PEOPLE, i might go back in 2 hours and buy it...

Get a 2014.  Look on cars.com, you might be able to get a new one for close to the same money.

Some of the 2013s have to get transmissions replaced and if not under warrantee it is expensive.  It is not clear when the fix was put in, I would say late in the year.  If you are sold on the car, the dealer should throw in the longest, furthest, zero deductible extended warrantee.

Edited by obob

Regardless of the warranty the transmission is warranted for 100,000 miles. So no worries there. 23k seems kind of high for a demonstrator, 16 to 17 seems more inline.

While I agree that 23K seems high, 16 or 17 seems a bit low since there are used 2013 SEL's are selling in that range (depending on options). Having said that, there could easily be issues on a C-Max with this low or mileage, particularly if it sat for a long period of time. Like obob states, I'd want some sort of extra warranty to cover issues like tires, battery, and other parts that may have deteriorated from sitting unused. I think I would try to negotiate for the Ford ESP PremiumCare (with no deductible) and maybe even Ford's maintenance coverage, as well, at that price.

I'm going to agree with others that the price is too high... but it never hurts to negotiate.  Just tell them $17k is your final price and if they even *slightly* hem and haw walk away (and I mean that -- do not even think about going back to that dealership).

I'd also agree with most here that a 2014 is a better buy for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is it will not have sat around as much and be more prone to the battery problem AND you ought to be able to pay about the same asking price for one that's pretty well loaded (in the same condition, that is).

The nice thing is that you are in the driver's seat, figuratively speaking of course.  They are offering you a pretty bad deal so there is no pressure on you and that's the absolute best position to be in for negotiations.

The 2013s have some features that other years lack such as the Lifetime Summary. I'd get the 2013, but with a brand new 12V battery.

What is Lifetime Summary and is that really worth it over the Battery issues that may come with 2013's?   Also, I have never heard of the transmission issues with those year models as well..

ANYWAYS, thanks everyone for the input, i DID NOT buy that 2013 SEL I was looking at.  I am going to scramble all over today and tomorrow to try and find a car since Im sick of driving a rental... Im going to go back to looking for a 2014 SEL Black with Pano... Im seeing some but they are all listed close to 30k, might be able to talk them down but not much, maybe im just a bad negotiator but the lowest the guys went on the '13 was 23k plus extended warranty was extra... I really hate the car buying experience....

What is Lifetime Summary and is that really worth it over the Battery issues that may come with 2013's?   Also, I have never heard of the transmission issues with those year models as well..

ANYWAYS, thanks everyone for the input, i DID NOT buy that 2013 SEL I was looking at.  I am going to scramble all over today and tomorrow to try and find a car since Im sick of driving a rental... Im going to go back to looking for a 2014 SEL Black with Pano... Im seeing some but they are all listed close to 30k, might be able to talk them down but not much, maybe im just a bad negotiator but the lowest the guys went on the '13 was 23k plus extended warranty was extra... I really hate the car buying experience....

Lifetime tracking of your MPG, EV miles & Brake Score. It's very useful for seeing your long term fuel economy & ICE use.

Really, I'd just get an Energi. It's a far better buy than the hybrid. Having owned both a Fusion Hybrid & now a Fusion Energi I don't know why anyone wouldn't get the Energi. It's a much better vehicle.

There are a lot of car dealerships, particularly in your area (and don't rule out casting a wider net, as you live in close proximity to a LOT of states).  Also, don't rule out the SE because, with the right package, it can include nearly all that's in an SEL and still be a lot cheaper.

It helps if you can at least TRY and act as if you're in no hurry to buy.  The exact attitude you want to give off is "I may very well buy from you today... or I might wait six months" so the salesman can sense a possible sale but not one in which they have you over the barrel.

Good luck.

You don't know why folks wouldn't buy an Energi?  Um, cost?  And lack of storage space in the back?  (Both of which were deal breakers to me).  Not to mention some of us drive a LOT further than is practical with one (or don't have the ability to plug in where they end up).

There are lots of pros and cons for both C-Max's but to each his own.

Edited by Kelleytoons

You don't know why folks wouldn't buy an Energi?  Um, cost?  And lack of storage space in the back?  (Both of which were deal breakers to me).  Not to mention some of us drive a LOT further than is practical with one (or don't have the ability to plug in where they end up).

There are lots of pros and cons for both C-Max's but to each his own.

Kelly,

Indeed, I would be the first to say loook at the cargo space in the rear before buying.

However, for cost, the SEL and the Energi are within a few hundred dollars with Federal and state rebates available on the Energi. I'm not sure if the person interested in the 2013 realizes this, but it could take up to 4-6K off the price of the vehicle. The rebates are only good on new Energi vehicles.

yeah, definitely will not be getting an Energi... and Im pretty upset there are no longer rebates on Hybrids in general.. Im just biding my time till i can but a mass produced Tesla...

Actually, my point was that there are rebates on the Energi, but not the hybrid. That could reduce the purchase price by a lot.

Of course, if you can't live with the cargo space (or lack thereof), the rebates are a moot point. But for anyone who IS able to use the Energi, it should be considered in the "new vs used" debate. A new one has rebates (check with your state laws, as always).

Tesla? Not for me. I need something that can go farther than 250 miles, out here in the west. I don't need a commuter car.

Edited by stevedebi

And all my point was is there are differences between the two that could cause folks to want a Hybrid over the Energi, which you didn't seem to understand ("I don't know why anyone wouldn't get the Energi...").

Indeed, plugging and unplugging alone would be a bit PITA to me and, as I said, different driving styles as well negate the purchase.  It really depends on what and how you are using your vehicle, and I would never say that I couldn't understand why someone would buy one over the other (or, indeed, why someone wouldn't want either one -- there are different strokes for different folks).

i get it... just will definately not do the energi but i appreciate the thought... anyways i got an offer for a place in pa:

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL

2.jpg

2.0L 4 cyls, Hybrid, FWD, CVT, 10 miles, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat, stock # FL117830, new, This is the vehicle for you if you're looking to get great gas mileage on your way to work. Safety equipment includes: A... view details

• MSRP
  •  $31,355
  • Ciocca Price
  • $26,555

What do you all think about this?  Already at 26k and I havent even negotiated anything

i get it... just will definately not do the energi but i appreciate the thought... anyways i got an offer for a place in pa:

2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL

2.jpg

2.0L 4 cyls, Hybrid, FWD, CVT, 10 miles, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat, stock # FL117830, new, This is the vehicle for you if you're looking to get great gas mileage on your way to work. Safety equipment includes: A... view details

• MSRP
  •  $31,355
  • Ciocca Price
  • $26,555

What do you all think about this?  Already at 26k and I havent even negotiated anything

From what I can see, that looks like a pretty decent price -- assuming there are no huge dealer fees. Not saying you couldn't do better but the price seems fair to me.

I bought two of my last three cars at Ciocca Ford Quakertown. They are decent to work with. I think their prices are better than other Ford dealers in my area. You can also look at Sands Ford Red Hill. They aren't too far from Quakertown. I got my C-Max there.

Thank you!!!  Im about an hour and half away but not too many good dealers in NJ around here but i really dont have much experience with it.  I will check them out, although i wanted a black car, the white still looks pretty hot

Kashmir,

Here's another one. It's not too far from Quakertown.

http://www.fredbeansforddoylestown.com/used-inventory/index.htm?model=C-Max+Hybrid&&&&make=Ford&

Good luck!

Looks like it depends on how much you value a new car. There are some minor advantages to the newer model, though not much has changed, and the new car warranty. Much of it depends on if a new car is worth an extra $6000 to you. It is also odd that the used C-Max has had two owners and that the first one had it only 4 months and put only 400 miles on the car -- not sure what to think about that. It could indicate the first owner had issues or could merely mean the owner no longer needed/could no drive the car. Even if it was issues, it could be as simple as the owner being upset the car was not getting the original 47/47/47 fuel rating, or a bigger issue, such as the battery issue that some owners have had -- though the CarFax would show if it had been returned as a lemon.

At the same time, this used car has the CPO warranty; which not only includes the original warranty but also has an extra one year/12,000 mile bumper to bumper (so four years or 48,000 on this car) and then extends the powertrain warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles -- though any work done under the CPO warranty (not covered by the original warranty) is $100 per repair visit. You can find the brochure for the Ford CPO program here.

If you do opt for the new car, letting the salesman know you are considering this used C-Max might help negotiate a lower price.

Edited by raadsel

As Steve says, the Energi doesn't really cost any more and the long term operating cost is much lower. There is no long distance travel for which the Energi is not practical. The storage space reduction in the C-Max is minimal.

However, for cost, the SEL and the Energi are within a few hundred dollars with Federal and state rebates available on the Energi. I'm not sure if the person interested in the 2013 realizes this, but it could take up to 4-6K off the price of the vehicle. The rebates are only good on new Energi vehicles.

Exactly! We got our Energi cheaper than we could have gotten a hybrid Fusion. The MSRP was almost $46k, but we paid $33k before the tax credit, $29k after the tax credit for an Energi Titanium with every feature except navigation.

Indeed, plugging and unplugging alone would be a bit PITA to me

Excuse me! That's ridiculous! Going to the gas station is a pain. Plugging in at home and always getting into a cool car in the summer or a warm car in the winter is far superior. It takes less than 10 seconds to plug in and unplug. I don't know why you're so argumentative about this.

And I wonder the same about you.  Do you not understand that if I drive my usual drive (more than 30 miles) that an Energi is NOT practical for me?  And when I drive my usual (long) drive there is no where I can plug it in?  (Whereas I only have to hit a gas station once every two months).  And that the lack of storage space IS a problem for many (including me, who uses every bit of space I have in Maximis).

Sorry, but the Energi is NOT for everyone -- glad it works for you, though.

Edited by Kelleytoons