Whining

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer to be helpful, but...

In general hybrids whine.  However, that whining may be a combination of capacitor noise, hybrids are throwing around a lot of voltage and amperage as they move around, and motor/generator noise.  You will hear more whining when breaking or when accelerating.  When cruising there isn't much whining.  Also, the whining will change depending on if the vehicle is or isn't using the ICE in conjuction with its electrics.

You will always hear engine compartment sounds like whining and ICE revving, however it shouldn't be exceedingly loud.  Without having a good sound track to share, it is difficult to explain how the vehicle should sound when operating properly.

• 9 months later...

My 2013 started whining about 1000 miles ago (64k total) and seems to be getting louder. Dealer should be able to diagnosis?

2013s - common to have transmission problems, especially if a lot of highway driving or driving like a taxi.  A design change was made late in 2013. 

There are messages on this site about this transmission problem.

UPDATE: Sorry to mislead you about the warranty.  Please report back on what the verdict is.  

Edited by obob

My 2013 started whining about 1000 miles ago (64k total) and seems to be getting louder. Dealer should be able to diagnosis?

Take your car to the dealer to document the whining noise.  It may be the Hybrid transmission starting to fail.

The Hybrid transmission is covered under the Hybrid/Electric Unique Component warranty for 8 yrs / 100 k miles.  In states that have adopted the CA emissions warranty, it's covered for 15 years / 150 k miles.