Ford to end C-max production at Michigan plant

djc

Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago:

"The auto industry's attempt to build small cars profitably in the U.S. has hit a pothole. Ford Motor Co. said a Michigan factory that assembles its small Ford Focus and C-Max wagon will end production of those vehicles in 2018 ...."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/07/09/ford-focus-uaw-contract-mexico/29918345/

Reported likely to go to Mexico.

Also interesting info from Detroit News:

"A new model of the Focus is expected to come out in 2018, according to a recently published "Car Wars" report by Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst John Murphy. He expects a new C-Max in 2019."

Edited by djc

Interesting. So we know now there will be at least one more year of the C-Max (a 2017 MY version). As mentioned by the OP, it looks like the C-Max will continue to be produce beyond that but likely in Mexico. I have to say, it does seem to make sense to have the C-Max made in the same plant as the Fusion Hybrid and the MKZ hybrid, since they share the same powertrain.

So sad...Ford announces a  20% increase in dividends over last year, and on the same day, states that it needs to move jobs out of country to maintain profitability:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/07/09/ford-motor-company-declares-dividend-for-third-quarter-2015.html

(After reading the article in OP a little closer, I'm glad the assembly plant in MI will remain open. They did a great job assembling my C-Max...first car I've owned that has not developed any squeaks or rattles!) 

Edited by Zathrus

The way this was worded suggests no more C-Max.

"Ford Motor Co. said a Michigan factory that assembles its small Ford Focus and C-Max wagon will end production of those vehicles in 2018 in a new setback to efforts to create a market for small cars made in the U.S. Production of the Focus will be moved outside the U.S."

The encouraging thing is "new generation" C-Max, so it sounds like it's going to stay around. The big question is, what will it look like...

Won't matter to me even though I really like the 2015 C-Max Energi I am now driving.  NO WAY will I buy a car or truck made in Mexico!  There may be limited options, but I will buy US or Canadian built as long as I can!

I note from the article that the Mexico production could begin in 2018.  Presumably this would be for the 2019 model year.

It is difficult to imagine that they would make that move for only one or two years of production; so, I suppose that this indicates plans to keep the C-max Hybrid and Energi alive for at least another 5 model years. 

Judging from events in the oil industry beginning in 1986 and their similarity to current events, I imagine that this might be long enough for high gas prices to re-appear.

It is difficult to imagine that they would make that move for only one or two years of production; so, I suppose that this indicates plans to keep the C-max Hybrid and Energi alive for at least another 5 model years. 

I was thinking that this will be where the new completely redesigned hybrid will be made.  It is a new car from the ground up and a good time to set up a new production facility.  Sounds like the replacement might continue with the C-Max name.  

From the article at the link below "Ford’s dedicated hybrid is a bit further off, since it’s being reported that it will be introduced around 2019"

http://inhabitat.com/ford-and-hyundai-are-both-working-on-prius-killing-hybrid-cars/

I worked in a GM plant for almost 15 years; this too shall pass, and when fuel prices go back to $5 a gallon the new & improved C-Max will probably be built in Michigan.

Our plant "lost" product to Mexico too, it wasn't the end of the world, but you can be damn sure that the next C-Max vehicles built in Michigan WILL be the best. In these American workers I do trust.      

I worked in a GM plant for almost 15 years; this too shall pass, and when fuel prices go back to $5 a gallon the new & improved C-Max will probably be built in Michigan.

Our plant "lost" product to Mexico too, it wasn't the end of the world, but you can be damn sure that the next C-Max vehicles built in Michigan WILL be the best. In these American workers I do trust.      

Actually, as I stated above, I tend to think that the C-Max will be assembled in Mexico, that it won't go back to the Michigan plant. As I stated above, this is because the other Ford/Lincoln hybrid cars that use this power train are assembled in Mexico. It makes sense for ford to assemble all cars with the same power train in the same, or nearby, plants to cut transportation costs and issues.

I do believe, as has been stated, that the Michigan plant will get another model Ford to build. I suspect, though it is just a guess, that the new "Prius Killer" will be different than the C-Max. Remember the C-Max is a "world car", in terms of frame/body, and Ford will want to keep it roughly the same body as its European sibling. So, I suspect that the "Prius Killer" might take the place of the C-Max in the Michigan plant.

Actually, as I stated above, I tend to think that the C-Max will be assembled in Mexico, that it won't go back to the Michigan plant. As I stated above, this is because the other Ford/Lincoln hybrid cars that use this power train are assembled in Mexico. It makes sense for ford to assemble all cars with the same power train in the same, or nearby, plants to cut transportation costs and issues.

I do believe, as has been stated, that the Michigan plant will get another model Ford to build. I suspect, though it is just a guess, that the new "Prius Killer" will be different than the C-Max. Remember the C-Max is a "world car", in terms of frame/body, and Ford will want to keep it roughly the same body as its European sibling. So, I suspect that the "Prius Killer" might take the place of the C-Max in the Michigan plant.

Actually, I did not quote your opinion, why are you "Cross-Talking" mine? 

Actually,  remember that having worked in the industry for many years AND being a College graduate with reading skills, I can see that you did not actually read much of what I took the time to write. I can appreciate that. 

Just to test your reading comp. skills; What's the Michigan C-Max build out date? Do you know what a build out is? 

Edited by cheezy

Actually, I did not quote your opinion, why are you "Cross-Talking" mine? 

Actually,  remember that having worked in the industry for many years AND being a College graduate with reading skills, I can see that you did not actually read much of what I took the time to write. I can appreciate that. 

Just to test your reading comp. skills; What's the Michigan C-Max build out date? Do you know what a build out is? 

As ls973800 suggested, I was merely commenting on your comment, "the new & improved C-Max will probably be built in Michigan." I wasn't actually disagreeing with other parts of your post, as I have no issue with your other comments. As a general rule, however, I prefer to post full posts rather than chopping out "unrelated" bits as I've had too many do it to take comments out of context. 

I suppose we could talk about build out dates, though I'd probably counter with what you know about JIT manufacturing and we'd take the thread off topic. Besides, you have me feeling old now since I realized it has been roughly 25 years since I worried about that stuff. ;)

Just In Time manufacturing? You're going to "quiz" me about the most generic aspect of Auto assembly, to see if I'm lying about GM factory work? 

I see not one single person has brought up the factor of it being their UAW Contract time with Ford, and an alleged/threatened "move" to Mexico is ALL that Ford has right now to hold over their heads. It's mostly theater; Michigan is building EXCELLENT product in high demand, priced to go head-to-head with 'Yota and the Volt BS isn't even close to it in any fashion.  

Could Ford take their toys and run to Mexico? Sure, and they could also be planning to bring all the matching platforms up to Michigan, just as well. How would THAT be for a PR win to the ENTIRE FoMoCo; bringing jobs back HOME-how many cars/trucks will THAT sell ?!  

"Merely commenting" on peoples' jobs going to Mexico is a scare tactic used by the anti-Union folks, and you are surely free to use such tactics here I'd guess, but don't think an old Union head won't call you out on it.    

Edited by cheezy

I see not one single person has brought up the factor of it being their UAW Contract time with Ford, and an alleged/threatened "move" to Mexico is ALL that Ford has right now to hold over their heads. It's mostly theater; Michigan is building EXCELLENT product in high demand, priced to go head-to-head with 'Yota and the Volt BS isn't even close to it in any fashion.

How is it mostly "theater" when the lay offs have begun, and the announcement about moving the production has been made?  Here is a copy of another link in the original post about the plant moving.  It doesn't appear to be "theater" or a "this too shall pass" type of deal to me when I read through the list and see some of the planned or on going loss of AMERICAN and CANADIAN jobs.

I don't really care if the auto manufacturing jobs lost are UAW workers or not, they are American and Canadian jobs LOST!  No job loss is good for either country.

Key Mexican automotive investments:

• General Motors is investing $5 billion and adding 5,600 jobs from 2013 to 2018 with manufacturing hubs in Toluca, Ramos Arizpe, Silao and San Luis Potosi.
  • Ford is spending $2.5 billion on new engine and transmission plants in Chihuahua and Guanajuato, in central Mexico, creating 3,800 jobs. Canada bid for the engine contract and lost.
  • Toyota is spending $1 billion on a plant in Guanajuato to build the Corolla starting in 2019, creating 2,000 new jobs. Mazda spent about $800 million on a new plant in Salamanca to make the Mazda3, Mazda2 and Scion iA for Toyota.
  • Honda spent about $1.27 billion in Celaya to make the Fit and HR-V crossover as well as transmissions.
  • Volkswagen plans a $1-billion expansion and 2,000 more jobs to add a three-row Tiguan compact crossover at the Puebla plant that makes the Golf and Jetta.
  • Audi is spending $1.3 billion in the state of Puebla to make the Q5 crossover.
  • Chrysler is expected to expand its current operations.
  • BMW is investing $1 billion and adding 1,500 jobs in San Luis Potosi in 2019. Speculation is the plant will make the 3 Series.
  • Kia is building a $1-billion plant in NuevoLeón, near Monterrey, that will employ 3,000 in 2016, making the Forte and Rio small cars.
  • Hyundai is exploring building a plant in Mexico.
  • Daimler and Nissan have a $1.4-billion joint plant in Aguascalientes to make Mercedes and Infiniti compact cars.
  • Source: Free Press research

I know that it was "the end of the world" for many of those workers who lost their jobs to production moved out of the country.  Perhaps you were lucky enough to be able to move to another plant because of seniority, or perhaps your particular job wasn't affected.  But for those who did lose their jobs and had no other options, I know it was the end of the world for them in a way.

Hey that's great, another "Merchant of Doubt" wants to use FEAR and uncertainty to manipulate.

Do I have to "quote" your posts before you change and manipulate them again? Waste of my time.

Don't want to see that product move? ORGANIZE a movement instead of spreading your FEAR and terror, trying to move people away from these products. However, you'd NOT be THAT guy to post a link to FoMoCo in Detroit, to organize an e-mail campaign, would you? Nope. 

People need to watch "Roger & Me" by Michael Moore and see the damage the automotive companies do when they shut down plants and/or move production out of the country.  I'm not sure when it really started, but by the 1980's it was a big problem, and continues to this day. 

No FEAR and UNCERTAINTY to manipulate here! 

I've stated before, I will continue to buy only American or Canadian built vehicles as long as I can.  I don't care if they are UAW built or not, as long as they are built here or in Canada.

How unfortunate that you mention FEAR and UNCERTAINTY scenarios, but don't do the Michael Moore thing and follow through with some actions, in helping Solidarity. 

Have you seen this?

-- MOD edited to remove vid. This is a CMax forum, take your political viewpoints elsewhere --

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Why Ford is sending small car production outside the US. http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/07/10/why-is-ford-sending-car-production-out-us/?intcmp=sbox28_trndfb

"Domestic manufacturing largely consists of sport-utility vehicles and pickup truck, two segments that offer stronger profits.

Ford’s Michigan factory used to build trucks and SUVs, in addition to the Focus. Now its 4,400 employees work solely on gasoline, hybrid and electric versions of the Focus and C-Max.

The growing popularity of crossovers, along with a decline in car demand, is putting more pressure on automakers to keep production costs for compacts in check.

“That’s definitely an element of the process,” said Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book. “[Automakers] need the lowest cost structure possible. Small cars have a very small margin for profit.”

U.S. sales of new passenger cars are down 1.7% year-to-date, according to research firm Autodata. Light trucks have grown 10.3%."

Strange to see a whole LOT of negative about Ford and C max, in THIS forum.

How unfortunate for the advertisers.

This isn't a forum owned by Ford and most of the advertising is done by google Ads.  This is a forum for C-Max owners and potential owners, it's about our experiences and thoughts, not about blindly proclaiming the C-Max the best car since the Model-A.

I've been reading this forum for 8 months now and haven't seen much negativity in comparison to other forums I've been on.  Based on your signature, you seem to have issues with the forum, perhaps you should start your own with only positive posts allowed?

Edited by Bugblndr

This isn't a forum owned by Ford and most of the advertising is done by google Ads.  This is a forum for C-Max owners and potential owners, it's about our experiences and thoughts, not about blindly proclaiming the C-Max the best car since the Model-A.

I've been reading this forum for 8 months now and haven't seen much negativity in comparison to other forums I've been on.  Based on your signature, you seem to have issues with the forum, perhaps you should start your own with only positive posts allowed?

Not looking for fanboys, but a semi-positive experience with solution sets for problems.

Having 1 or 2 whiners who don't know what a wrench is, is one thing.

Having a Forum FULL of them is pretty much a giant troll nest.

We were grilling out yesterday with family, and I had my bro in law take a look in this Forum; he noticed the whining and crying, no solutions really being offered by any but a couple, then he noticed the ads. Dodge and Jeep ads for pop-ups?

Your Moderators remove a Signature they believe is political , yet let several threads run which are nothing but political in the car world.   

Then, I found the actual Ford site run for C-Max models and voila!!! Solutions, excellent people, and the whiners don't seem to like the strong daylight of truth therein. Very Cool. 

I've been here since last October and other than some frustrated people I haven't seen any BS.

I've only been here 3 days and it's all over the place. and the censorship is insane.

Calling them "Moderators" when all they do is censor the truth, is un-American.

Found THE C-Max site, where people talk solutions and Community. I'll let Ford know.