Ford to end C-max production at Michigan plant

djc

Well, that's a great idea.  In the "early days" there was supposed to be a National Gathering but it fizzled.  The Enterprise did return "home" once so don't know about going again but there is a lot to see around the Detroit area.

Now I guess the Last C-Max should be Titanium trim but what color?  We still like our White Platinum but think I'll vote for White Gold (seems it should be one of the new colors).  What does everyone think?

As to getting it, perhaps it should be auctioned!  But on second thought, I think Ford should keep it at the Henry Ford Museum!  The C-Max really does deserve a spot with all those other awesome historic Fords.

SnowStorm, good points about it should be a Titanium.  What if Ford pulled out all the stops and put every available option on it?  

I checked every possible box on TrueCar.com just now for fun and MSRP = $33,200 (market actually $29,500).

The only expensive $600 paint option is the White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat, so I'm picking that color !!!

Titanium Driver Assist Package, Active Park Assist w/Forward Sensing System, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), cross-traffic alert, Power Liftgate, hands-free liftgate, 

Panoramic Glass Roof, Voice Activated Touch Screen Display

With all those options, it should wear a Lincoln badge.

My 2015 C-Max is bottom of the line, cheapest possible (sad, yes).

I'm not sure how the employees at Wayne feel about the C-Max, and sister Focus, all made there.  The C-Max has been selling so poorly.  (The Fusion in Mexico has been selling so well there must be some jealousy.)  The Focus sells OK, but with bad transmission reputation there its taken some sales hits.

I keep asking Ford salescritters why they don't advertise the Cmax, they tell me "It doesn't sell".  I ask them "If the F-150 sells itself, why do you advertise it?" I never get a good answer.

I think it's because pickup trucks and SUVs are immensely profitable per unit, and the C-Max isn't.

Therefore, they put their advertising budgets into where the profits are, and leave the rest of the models of vehicles like the C-Max to fend for themselves.

Ford is ending C-Max production, and will never end production of trucks, and target their advertising to the high-profit truck lines.

https://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/01/29/fords-margins-its-all-about-the-trucks/ explains a lot.

What if Ford ended production of all vehicles in the lower half of the profitability range? --- Then they would lose overall market share in the global market, and they want to hedge their bets for the future. 

So they keep trying to come up with new, different, more exciting Hybrids and Electrics that will at least sell a lot at first, and might catch on like Teslas have if they resonate with consumers more than our C-Max did.

After the C-Max is gone, Ranger pickup trucks (no surprise) will be made on the same concrete floor at Wayne.

I think thats a good evaluation of why the C-Max is dead and not advertised much.  I'm not a Business-Brainiac like the marketing whiz-kids at Ford, just a lowly engineer here, so if I'm wrong someone can let me know.

Perspective:

After years of success in Europe with gas and diesel power, C-MAX Hybrids were launched in the US, apparently with great hopes to dominate just one target demographic: Prius owners.

C-MAX Hybrids offered far more power, more interior comfort, traditional dashboard styling, and more cargo room than the non-wagon Prii variants, AND 47/47/47 EPA numbers to boot!  Then multiple recalls, multiple EPA rating downgrades, and an early hit piece by Consumer Retorts killed much of the initial sales buzz.

To their credit, Ford was responsive to consumers in this forum and Ford employees acted as liaisons here to help consumers solve issues.

And Ford DID eventually track down and remedy the 12-v battery drain affecting selected early SE models, and the other significant issues experienced by early adopters.

Ford marketing apparently never invested time to talk with C-MAX buyers in order to better understand who WAS BUYING the C-MAX, and WHY.

Because Ford is primarily a truck company.

Ford sells more $47,000 F-150's in an average sales quarter (>150,000) than they will ever sell $30,000 C-MAX's over their entire production history (<150,000).

We still love our soon-to-be orphan C-MAX Hybrid SE.

Given our history of keeping cars 15 years or longer, we'll probably own it until we die, or it does!

Edited by kostby

We should remember too, I guess, that this modern generation of electrified vehicles is still quite new and changing.  Therefore, a given model can't be expected to last all that long - especially one that wasn't designed to contain batteries (which should be under the floor).  So.... can't wait to see what the next models will be like.  When will we hear more about the Model E?

The fact that the C-Max lasted 6 model years is actually pretty good.   Sure it boosted EPA CAFE fleet averages for Ford, and they made it profitable enough given it shared so many parts with the Focus (platform; made at the same plant and in Europe too) and the powertrain was shared with the Fusion Hybrid for sufficient volume scale.

They made it work in this market.

Now with all this experience with the C-Max's powertain, I wish they would scale it all up and put it in a clever configuration in a pickup truck, maybe with the new Ranger (smaller than an F150) first.   Then add RAV4-like rear AWD electric motors and a standard C-Max Energi (but scaled up engine&motors) setup up front. ...  Or put it all in the city delivery vans (Transit Connect).    Just dreaming. 

I totally missed this Automotive News report which lists out all the C-Max replacements:

Electrified future
Ford plans to introduce 13 electrified models by 2021, 7 of which it has identified. 
• Police Responder Hybrid Sedan, 2018*
• Ford Escape plug-in hybrid, 2019
• Lincoln MKC plug-in hybrid, 2019
• Ford Expedition hybrid, 2019
• Lincoln Navigator hybrid, 2019
• Transit Custom plug-in hybrid, 
 2019* (Europe)
• Electric small SUV with 300-mile range (expected to be called
 Model E), 2020*
• Ford Mustang Hybrid, 2020*
• Ford F-150 Hybrid, 2020*
• Autonomous hybrid for commercial mobility services, 2021*
• Another hybrid police vehicle, timing unknown*
• 2 more electrified vehicles, timing unknown
*Announced by Ford

I think the Escape Hybrid is replacing CMAX, won't get the MPG's and I thought they were coming out with Focus Hybrid. CMAX covered both of those bases. :)  It will be interesting to see if they can get better than 52 mpg that I have been averaging for 50k mi. on my #2 trip gauge(about a year and an half). :)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

And it doesn't look like they have a real replacement either. From FORD Site: Mar 15, 2018

Ford Hybrid Vehicles

Part of Ford’s new strategy includes going all-in on hybrids to bring more capability to customers of our most popular and high-volume vehicles like F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and Bronco – and serve as a hedge for customers against higher gas prices.

No mention of the Focus Hybrid/Electric either. :headscratch:

Paul

Edited by ptjones

And it doesn't look like they have a real replacement either. From FORD Site: Mar 15, 2018

Ford Hybrid Vehicles

Part of Ford’s new strategy includes going all-in on hybrids to bring more capability to customers of our most popular and high-volume vehicles like F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and Bronco – and serve as a hedge for customers against higher gas prices.

No mention of the Focus Hybrid/Electric either. :headscratch:

Paul

I suspect Ford views the Escape hybrid as the replacement for the C-Max -- the two cars are very similar in size, just the Escape is more SUV as opposed to wagon. While I know most here won't like the Escape as a replacement (due to higher ground clearance), I suspect it will be more popular. And from the limited things we've seen, I believe the Model E will be similar to the Focus, just engineered to be a EV (including HEV and PHEV), and will likely replace the Focus EV.

Edited by raadsel

I suspect Ford views the Escape hybrid as the replacement for the C-Max -- the two cars are very similar in size, just the Escape is more SUV as opposed to wagon. While I know most here won't like the Escape as a replacement (due to higher ground clearance), I suspect it will be more popular. And from the limited things we've seen, I believe the Model E will be similar to the Focus, just engineered to be a EV (including HEV and PHEV), and will likely replace the Focus EV.

It's bigger in the trunk area which is fine,but big hit in HWY MPG, the best I was getting was 32mpg with my 2010, was getting upto 42 around town.  As compared with 55mpg CITY/ 50mpg HWY for MADMAX.

Paul

This article gives an overview of future Ford line-up, based on Ford announcements this past week:

http://www.autoverdict.com/ford/ford-and-lincolns-future-lineup/

The author believes the new China built Ford Focus will be offered in "lifted" versions.

Also says it appears the C-max will be discontinued world wide, not just our continent.

The Flex also "will die off" in next couple years.

Confirms 2019 will bring hybrid Escape.

Elsewhere I read the new (to US) EcoSport mini-SUV will be offered in a hybrid version - so maybe some overlap in utility with our C-max hybrids.