Trailer Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

RMS13

Does anyone use one of these? I and thinking about being able to haul 6 each 5 gal gas cans, yard care items and an occasion 5' -6' tall plant and am wondering if these cargo carriers would work for these items. I use a F-150 now and just seeing what overkill it is and looking for other options.

Roger

Does anyone use one of these? I and thinking about being able to haul 6 each 5 gal gas cans, yard care items and an occasion 5' -6' tall plant and am wondering if these cargo carriers would work for these items. I use a F-150 now and just seeing what overkill it is and looking for other options.

Roger

I'm interested too, just to put that monster "foot bumper" back there to better stop the back-ins in parking lots.

My F250 PSD is overkill for many of the same trips, too.  

I was hesitant to reply due to the cargo...

post-1320-0-38683900-1401728207_thumb.jpg
Platforms work quite well, but the key is the cargo is exposed. I'd never recommend carrying 30 gal. of gasoline in such a manner. Large wooden boxes work fine, and you'll see others with camping gear, beach stuff, etc. A great way to carry messy things, too.

That said, the dresser was the last time I used it, a year ago. The car's big enough for most stuff (the pic shows a second dresser in the car, too)

HAve fun,
Frank

Roger

I would recommend going with a cargo basket and a cargo net to secure your belongings. Hitchweb sells both items: Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier They offer free shipping on orders over $100. I got mine within 2 days! Check em out if you're interested. 

Edited by Sweetsally

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about adding a hitch to mine, but the owners manual says that you should never tow with the vehicle. It seems weird though, because the C-Max and Escape have similarly sized engines 2.0L Atkinson vs. 2.0 I-4 EcoBoost. Has anyone had any issues towing stuff? And, what is the heaviest weight you've towed with it? I'd love to be able to tow a small U-Haul or smaller boat behind mine.

I suspect there are concerns for transmission reliability when towing... and the tranny issues folks report, would seem to bear this out (mostly highway driving, which requires more power). Then again, all things wear, your car/driving style combination will have a service life. If part of that's towing, just don't let Ford know.

Mine has a hitch, but more for accessories (bike rack, cargo platform).

Frank

I was thinking about adding a hitch to mine, but the owners manual says that you should never tow with the vehicle. It seems weird though, because the C-Max and Escape have similarly sized engines 2.0L Atkinson vs. 2.0 I-4 EcoBoost. Has anyone had any issues towing stuff? And, what is the heaviest weight you've towed with it? I'd love to be able to tow a small U-Haul or smaller boat behind mine.

The Escape has a conventional transmission; the C-Max has a CVT. The problem is not the engine, it is the transmission, which was not designed for those extra loads when regerating (slowing down).

Having said that, the previous generation Escape Hybrid had a 1K towing rating. It you put brakes on the trailer it might work.

• 4 weeks later...

In honor of National Drive Electric week, Torklift Central is having a sale on electric and hybrid EcoHitches including the C-Max hitch. If you are interested, you can use the promo code: DRIVEELECTRIC2015 to receive $25 off your purchase. You can find your EcoHitch here!

Edited by TorkliftCentral