Will Volvo/Focus/Escape/Fusion 16" 5x108 wheels work with CMax??

IslandTractor

I'm looking to pick up a set of used wheels to mount snow/winter tires for my CMax.  Is there anything special or unusual with offset or other specification that would limit what would fit on a CMax?  Lots of used Volvo, Focus, Escape used wheels on Craigslist in 16 or 17" with 5x108 lug pattern but virtually nothing specifically from used CMax.  

I was planning to get wheels and then appropriate size Blizzak or Michelin IceX tires to fit.  Any pitfalls????

You've got half the story in the lug pattern. You also need offset and center hole diameter.

- offset is the position of the mounting flange, relative to the bead seats.

- center hole diameter doesn't seem important until you realize it centers the wheel (think balance).

Offset of my OEM wheels is +55mm on 17x7" wheels.

Ford center holes are 63.5mm/2.5" as I recall.

FWIW, I went with Michelins in a 215/60R-16 size, for a wider selection of tire vendors that a 225/50R17 brings. .

Have fun,

Frank

Thanks Frank.  I guess I will just take my measuring instruments with me when I look at used wheels.  

Regarding tire size using 16" wheels, is there any disadvantage to going even narrower than 215/60R16?  There is a good set of Blizzak WS60 tires with Focus aluminum wheels available for less than what the wheels would cost new but the tire size is 195/60 R16.  

Thanks Frank.  I guess I will just take my measuring instruments with me when I look at used wheels.  

Regarding tire size using 16" wheels, is there any disadvantage to going even narrower than 215/60R16?  There is a good set of Blizzak WS60 tires with Focus aluminum wheels available for less than what the wheels would cost new but the tire size is 195/60 R16.  

The skinnier tire will have less circumference thus throwing your speedometer off by about 4% versus the 215/60 R16 tire.

I can't find data on WS60s in 195/60-16, but the WS80s in that size are 827 rev/mile. Stock is 803 rev/mile, and the ratio is the error, 3%.

Conversely, the 215/60-16 is a bit larger, 796 rev/mile, which is 4% wrt the 195s. All well within the noise (how accurate are your OEM tires?).

Frank

PS I assume you know Blizzaks are just all-season tires after half tread, and they wear that first half fast.

Thanks again for the insights.  I have decided that I'll probably purchase new rather than risk the hassles of used.  I just had my dealer finally fix a front wheel vibration issue with my stock tires that resisted simple rebalancing and required road force balancing to eliminate.  I'd prefer to have a tire dealer to work with if that sort of thing comes up again.  Thinking now about 16" wheels with either Michelin X-ice xi3 or Blizzak WS80 in 215/60R16 sizing.  Your point about Blizzak wearing is a good one.  Wonder if that is still true with the WS80?  Wish that Nokian Hakkapellitta R2 tires were a bit less pricey though.  

Any thoughts on wheels?  If I go with TireRack I'll get them mounted (they road force balance as standard) but Costco is also an option though I'd need to source wheels separately.   I'd be happy with steel wheels and covers but that is actually not really cheaper than low cost aluminum wheels these days (at least from TireRack).  

I've found steel 16s for about $60 plus about $10 for a hub cap.  Cheapest aluminum 16s from Tire Rack are about $80-85 discounted.  I'd still prefer the steel wheels except that they cannot give me any details on what hub caps would fit.  Apparently standard Ford caps don't fit their steel wheels.  I don't love the look of bare steel wheels for four months a year.